• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Would You Do?

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To old, why?

Ok - let me ask you a question. Who did the Patriots beat in 1986 en route to the Super Bowl and who was the beat reporter for the Patriots at the Patriot Ledger?

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briz - Chandler Jones is going to be a FA in 2016 and he will easily command a multi-year deal north of $10 million a year if he continues to produce at a level that he is producing at.

As far as free safeties are concerned for the 2015 class, it is a fairly weak free agent class outside of maybe Will Hill as external roster options that would come cheaper than McCourty. And, McCourty will also want to get paid if his brother is an example of what he will want in terms of a contract.
yea there are some young guys that will need to be extented. dennard is gunna cost some cash soon too. im not a cap expert so i dont know how all the pieces are gunna fit together. pats usually try to get all their guys cheeper, but they will pays studs that are productive from time to time, they did it with seymour, mankins, wilfork, mayo. restructures, cuts, extensions they will find a way. talib is a stud we got to sign him somehow thats all i know.

mccourty's brother is a cb is he not? those are more expensive than free safeties. mccourty we dont got to worry bout right now we got to worry about adding a strong safty to replace gregory. hows the strong safety class look in the draft? i havent gotten into the draft yet usually dont until the pats are eliminated.

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea there are some young guys that will need to be extented. dennard is gunna cost some cash soon too. im not a cap expert so i dont know how all the pieces are gunna fit together. pats usually try to get all their guys cheeper, but they will pays studs that are productive from time to time, they did it with seymour, mankins, wilfork, mayo. restructures, cuts, extensions they will find a way. talib is a stud we got to sign him somehow thats all i know.

mccourty's brother is a cb is he not? those are more expensive than free safeties. mccourty we dont got to worry bout right now we got to worry about adding a strong safty to replace gregory. hows the strong safety class look in the draft? i havent gotten into the draft yet usually dont until the pats are eliminated.

It looks like shit.

They should have grabbed Robert Lester, U. of Alabama UDFA, signed with Carolina and now starting when they had the chance.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok - let me ask you a question. Who did the Patriots beat in 1986 en route to the Super Bowl and who was the beat reporter for the Patriots at the Patriot Ledger?

LOL...Maybe not that old. I know Mia was one team. I have no clue about the Patriots Ledger. I could Google it, but what good is that. I am 36. What are the answers.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like shit.

They should have grabbed Robert Lester, U. of Alabama UDFA, signed with Carolina and now starting when they had the chance.

Still not sure how Lester went un-drafted. I was all for him also. Good call!

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like shit.

that sucks. was hoping we could snag one in the 2nd or 3rd.

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...Maybe not that old. I know Mia was one team. I have no clue about the Patriots Ledger. I could Google it, but what good is that. I am 36. What are the answers.

It doesn't matter Eric. The point that needs to be made is that Jones may get a new deal a year in advance and prior to becoming a UFA but it will be done only prior to the beginning of the 2015 season and not before the end of the 2014 season.

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that sucks. was hoping we could snag one in the 2nd or 3rd.

Last year would have been the year to get a strong safety. Cyprien, Reid, Swearinger, and Lester were my top four at strong safety.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter Eric. The point that needs to be made is that Jones may get a new deal a year in advance and prior to becoming a UFA but it will be done only prior to the beginning of the 2015 season and not before the end of the 2014 season.

So they can't sign him before next yr? Why is that, a new rule? They more his play improves, this more money he is going to get. Would you rather sign him after a 12 sack season, or a 20 sack season?

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they can't sign him before next yr? Why is that, a new rule? They more his play improves, this more money he is going to get. Would you rather sign him after a 12 sack season, or a 20 sack season?

They can but they certainly will not.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our 2015 free agent class or the whole nfl free agent class? i havent looked at the whole class if its a strong free agent class then maybe you want to save some space for it. but our free agents outside solder maybe wont be that expensive. i dont expect most of them to be back they could be replaced. ridley can be replaced, connelly, wilfork will probably get extended lowering his cap, ghost is a kicker he wont cost much, vereen is a 3rd down runningback thats injured alot he wont cost much. i think you could still backload talib and we will be ok. you get him for 8 mill the first years and force him to restructure or be cut the final year.

If Talib moves on they need to get the pass rush rockin' and rollin' to help the DBs. Carolina's Greg Hardy is the player I'd love to see them get because he's only 25 and had 15 sacks this year. He'll be looking at a big number or he'll get tagged so it won't happen. He's the kind of player I hope they can find in the draft...big, strong and athletic with a motor.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Talib moves on they need to get the pass rush rockin' and rollin' to help the DBs. Carolina's Greg Hardy is the player I'd love to see them get because he's only 25 and had 15 sacks this year. He'll be looking at a big number or he'll get tagged so it won't happen. He's the kind of player I hope they can find in the draft...big, strong and athletic with a motor.

If Talib moves on they simply won't be the same defense - they'll need to get damn lucky or else they'll regress pretty badly.

And in any case it's not like premiere pass rushers are cheaper than premiere cornerbacks.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Talib moves on they simply won't be the same defense - they'll need to get damn lucky or else they'll regress pretty badly.

And in any case it's not like premiere pass rushers are cheaper than premiere cornerbacks.

That's true but as in the case of Welker last year, they'll have a plan B for the pass defense and it might not be for a corner if Talib signs elsewhere.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Michael Johnson from Cinn? He should be available, they are going to have to pay some guys!

rehone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe because the Pats cut Hernandez who shall forever be know as SCUMBAG they might have trouble recouping the signing bonus. Miguel has the $7.5 million dollar hit under dead money and I would love to see them get relief but that douche running the NFL will never give the Pats a break.

As for Talib the Pats need to be cautious because he is one strike from a long ban, I could see a 6 year $48 million dollar deal with $24 guaranteed but the guaranteed money split into two segments of $12 million each. The initial deal lets Pats get CAP relief to the tune of max salary and prorated bonus of $3 mil a year or $4 mil with everything including the salary guaranteed. They did this with someone else. In year four the other $12 mill bonus kicks in and is guaranteed as long as he stays clean. That ups CAP hit but with a big salary in year 6 Talib gets more guaranteed money.

Blount needs to be resigned and he will be cheaper by a lot but Pats can not afford to let a beast mode back go. I do think how he performs in the playoffs will dictate how much he gets but I also believe BB likes the guy a lot as could be seen by the hugs and arm around his shoulder after the game. Beast mode backs are rare and 6 feet and 250 pounders who can really run are even rarer.

Edelman is another deal. I would not tag him and I would resign him if reasonable but he is not worth 3 years at $18 mil off one year with Brady. That is just not sound business.

As for cutting McCourty that is nuts. He had a great year at safety. I would cut Gregory because Harmon is going to be excellent. I like both Silega and Chris Jones a lot and they mesh well with Vince and Kelly. We had 49 sacks this year which was top 10 and thus a really big improvement but like TKO and Briz I would like another stud pass rusher and I love Hardy from Carolina but I don't think we have the money.

We also have to think about Spikes but I doubt Pats will bring him back since he will want too much. Jamie Collins has been playing quite well and with the other linebackers we are in good shape. If we sign Talib the cornerback situation is maximized with Talib, Dennard, Arrington and rookie Logan Ryan who looks good.

Safety is okay with McCourty and Harmon and can be helped in draft. Overall I like the defense because it is young and fast and improving. Adding that one pass rusher off the edge to help the front four so they can get elite pressure rushing just 4 or 5 could push the defense to a top 5 because defenses get better with experience as can be seen in Seattle and elsewhere.

On offense we need another pass catching Tight End and there are some good ones coming out this year, I have not had much time to look bit hope to. I think the players drafted for offense this past draft along with Thompkins show the promise to become quite good with Brady at the helm. Plus they stashed Tommy Moe on IR and I did like him as a slot receiver coming out of college.

Just getting the players back lost on IR makes the Pats elite next year so a good draft is important and getting enough CAP space would really help. Per usual it will be an interesting off season.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a significant hit this next year. I don't know if that would still be cheaper over the long term or if giving him another year would be.

I'm not saying cut ties necessarily. I still like amendola. I'm just saying I like Edelman better.