• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What would the 12 team playoff rankings look like in 2023...

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 1.58.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 2.00.09 PM.png

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would've been a nice year for the field to be 12 teams. Seems a bit wide open, relatively.

It doesn't bother me. Next year there will be no Pac12, and the B1G and SEC will be significantly stronger conferences. Pretty much all the top programs have a SIGNIFICANT boost to the strength of their schedule in 2024 because of it.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't bother me. Next year there will be no Pac12, and the B1G and SEC will be significantly stronger conferences. Pretty much all the top programs have a SIGNIFICANT boost to the strength of their schedule in 2024 because of it.
I mean, fine by me. Will be interesting to see how that is handled going forward. I have a hard time believing the ACC isn't blowing up at some point.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, fine by me. Will be interesting to see how that is handled going forward. I have a hard time believing the ACC isn't blowing up at some point.
Oh, the ACC is done, as we know it. It may take a few years, but I don't see them keeping a few of their top teams. Their best case scenario is they can snag some other teams and survive like the B12 did.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, the ACC is done, as we know it. It may take a few years, but I don't see them keeping a few of their top teams. Their best case scenario is they can snag some other teams and survive like the B12 did.
Probably. Who would that backfill actually be though? USF, Tulane? Rice? Seems like the mid tier of the AAC + some leftover ACC/Big East schools.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gonna be weird seeing Stanford, Cal and SMU in the ACC for how ever long it lasts.

But it's equally weird (stupid) that USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington are joining the BigTen.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably. Who would that backfill actually be though? USF, Tulane? Rice? Seems like the mid tier of the AAC + some leftover ACC/Big East schools.
Probably. You do have some up and coming teams like James Madison, Liberty, etc, depending on how many teams leave.

My guess is the FSU and Clemson are as good as gone the first chance they get. I could see Miami and maybe even a team like Georgia Tech going too (GT simply because of their proximity to the recruiting powerhouse of Georgia and because of their tv market).

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably. You do have some up and coming teams like James Madison, Liberty, etc, depending on how many teams leave.

My guess is the FSU and Clemson are as good as gone the first chance they get. I could see Miami and maybe even a team like Georgia Tech going too (GT simply because of their proximity to the recruiting powerhouse of Georgia and because of their tv market).
Seems like the real question at this point is where do the ACC teams with some options outside of the ACC actually go.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be weird seeing Stanford, Cal and SMU in the ACC for how ever long it lasts.

But it's equally weird (stupid) that USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington are joining the BigTen.

I don't see it as anything but a HOME RUN from a business side of things. That's a HUGE market increase for the Big Ten, and likely will give them the biggest payout per team in all college football. It seems the B1G is mirroring the NFL in their footprint across the United States.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd round game at OSU (Oklahoma or Bama) would be sweet.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the real question at this point is where do the ACC teams with some options outside of the ACC actually go.

SEC and B1G would be my guess. If the B1G want to have some teams in the South: Miami, FSU, UNC, Clemson, and like I said above, GT may be GREAT options for them. I don't think they want all those teams, but I could see them going after 2-3 of them. UNC, Miami, and GT all carry HUGE tv markets (Miami, Charlotte, and Atlanta)

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd round game at OSU (Oklahoma or Bama) would be sweet.
I'd hate to see a rematch of Ohio and Michigan in the semifinals though.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC and B1G would be my guess. If the B1G want to have some teams in the South: Miami, FSU, UNC, Clemson, and like I said above, GT may be GREAT options for them. I don't think they want all those teams, but I could see them going after 2-3 of them. UNC, Miami, and GT all carry HUGE tv markets (Miami, Charlotte, and Atlanta)
If it got that lengthy for the defections to the SEC/BIG, I have a hard time Louisville and few others stick around in the rump ACC and would join the Big 12 just by default. I think UVA has a shot at going to one of the SEC/BIG, personally.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it got that lengthy for the defections to the SEC/BIG, I have a hard time Louisville and few others stick around in the rump ACC and would join the Big 12 just by default. I think UVA has a shot at going to one of the SEC/BIG, personally.

If they could maintain an "automatic bid" type scenario, I don't think they would leave. It would be easier for them to get a playoff spot in a depleted ACC than to get it in the beefed up SEC or B1G. Don't get me wrong, they would jump ship just from the tv payout scenario, but I don't think they would mind staying in the ACC if they didn't have that option.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it as anything but a HOME RUN from a business side of things. That's a HUGE market increase for the Big Ten, and likely will give them the biggest payout per team in all college football. It seems the B1G is mirroring the NFL in their footprint across the United States.

How much will it cost to have Rutgers fly across the country to play Oregon in soccer?

Only football & basketball are revenue producers.

Think of all the other sports. Another example would be Maryland cross country going to Washington.

It only makes sense for football & basketball.

I like what Bob Ryan suggested a couple weeks ago on ATH. Keep this nonsense to football & basketball only.

Not sure of that's possible though.

Feel sorry for the kids that'll have to cross every time zone to go coast to coast for lesser sports that generate little or no money.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much will it cost to have Rutgers fly across the country to play Oregon in soccer?

Only football & basketball are revenue producers.

Think of all the other sports. Another example would be Maryland cross country going to Washington.

It only makes sense for football & basketball.

I like what Bob Ryan suggested a couple weeks ago on ATH. Keep this nonsense to football & basketball only.

Not sure of that's possible though.

Feel sorry for the kids that'll have to cross every time zone to go coast to coast for lesser sports that generate little or no money.
When the new contract is over $100 million per team, they’ll figure it out.

Allow eastern teams to play out west for all full week and vice versa, come up with some neutral site mini tournaments for B1G teams (they do that in cross country now). In baseball the AL and NL teams rarely play each other. Create an East and West type system.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FINALS OR BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

And just wait for the year when the teams play 3 times - reg season, B10 championship, CFP

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, but worse than that, how many times are we gonna see OSU vs. mich. in the CCG at the end of every year? right after they just get done playing each other. Gone are the days of "charity" giving Iowa or wisky a spot in the CCG. lol

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, but worse than that, how many times are we gonna see OSU vs. mich. in the CCG at the end of every year? right after they just get done playing each other. Gone are the days of "charity" giving Iowa or wisky a spot in the CCG. lol
I think they just dump the conference championship game eventually. It’s highly likely that both teams in the bigger conference’s championship game will be in the playoffs. If teams end up playing each other 2-3 times a season, it could rally water down the excitement of the games.