• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What should The Celtics do with the #1 pick ?...

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope it's not the Clippers

I don t think they will resign him Mecca. With Doc rumored to be leaving and with CP3 and Blake looking at all options it seems to me its a good time for LA to do sign and trades and start the rebuild.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don t think they will resign him Mecca. With Doc rumored to be leaving and with CP3 and Blake looking at all options it seems to me its a good time for LA to do sign and trades and start the rebuild.
You can't trade what you don't have under contract.

Both Blake and Cp3 will be unrestricted.

I want Blake gone.

But, Doc and Ballmer have already stated that's not happening by their choice.

As for Doc, what Team would pay that guy more than the 20 mil over two years that he has left on his Clippers contract?

None.

I would be quite happy losing Blake, Redick and Paul if it meant Doc the GM was out too.

I'm not sure what info you are seeing. But, everything I've seen reported says they are all coming back.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Clippers are hoping to sign both Griffin and Paul to max contract deals this offseason. Both have an early termination clause which would be their key to joining the NBA free agent frenzy.

Griffin and Paul have been tight-lipped about their future plans though reports have it that both are expected to stick it out with the Clippers. Paul has reportedly agreed verbally while Griffin is not remotely interested in changing teams.

Last edited:

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@LogicMan ....forgot to say this...

I think you will end up with Ibaka.

But, If I'm a Celtics fan, I'd rather have Milsap.

Ibaka gives you rim protection.

But, Paul is the better player.

He's older though and you'd have to give him a max.

Plus, Hawks fans would really hate you...lol

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It would be interesting if Ainge has the balls to trade IT for reasonable value if Celtics end up with a top 2 pick.

Question is if a team can win an NBA championship with IT as the lead player and PG. Wiz are attacking him more using Beal.

Ainge is well-known in the league for trying to get the best of every trade -- so many GMs will be slow to do a deal with Danny. But Danny has enough assets to overpay to get the right player.

I think Danny will definitely do something upfront in the offseason. I don't see Amir starting next year. (Ibaka, Millsap, Blake are all the type of player that would fit great upfront with a Stevens team.)

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade for a Star or.....

Sounds like Markelle Fultz is already looking toward a future in green.

Fultz, the 6-foot-5 guard from the University of Washington, projected by many to be the top pick this June in the NBA draft, tells Andrew Sharp of SI.com that he's been close to Isaiah Thomas since working out with the Celtics guard and ex-Washington Husky in the summer. And he forsees them working well together should Fultz wind up in Boston.

The Celtics have the best chance (25 percent) of landing the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft Lottery.

Here's an excerpt of the SI.com feature on Fultz.

I've talked to him [Isaiah Thomas] a lot," Fultz says. And yes, the family is well aware that Boston currently has the best odds at the No. 1 pick. "We always talk about the opportunity. That would be the craziest backcourt. The way he scores, the way I can pass, and the way I can score... we can switch between the one and two.

So, to hear Fultz tell it, the two point guards could co-exist quite nicely together in Boston.

The draft lottery is May 16.

Sure. Never hurts to have too passing PG's when one can score like IT.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really believe Blake will consider Boston?

I honestly don't.

Dude wants to act and do the Hollywood thing.

He is also way to into the nightlife.

If he leaves the Clippers l, I think it will be for New York or Miami.

You should probably stay away from George too.

He's bolting to the Lakers as soon as his deal is up.

Now Hayward?

I think outside of Utah, you guys would be his top option.

George to the Lakers? Yes!!!!

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. Never hurts to have too passing PG's when one can score like IT.
That's the thing.

Both can score.

It won't be like Curry and Thompson because neither posses Klay's defensive ability.

But, Cj and Dame are possible.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hayward and Ibaka to Boston would be insane but I doubt they can sign both.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At some point Danny has to pack up the assets and make a move. (like he did in Y2008) Jimmy Butler could be the guy. (probably moving AB, Jae -- a pick)

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston has the cap space to sign two players to max contracts. If they clean up the roster a bit and dump some dead wood, they can do a plethora of different things.

Hayward is Ainge's primary target. He didn't pull the trigger on George because George wants to play in LA and that alone wouldn't let him make the offer big enough to get him for a couple of months.

As far as the #1 pick.....if they get it and can trade down and pick up a solid rebounding forward, they have to consider it. My guess is that Danny will take Josh Jackson. Celtics don't need any more guards. Certainly don't want to paint themselves in a corner and have to give a couple away.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Hayward is gonna have several options.

He might take the money in Utah.

But, they need to keep Hill and either upgrade Favors or keep him at a discount.

Ibaka is going to the highest bidder.

At some point Danny has to pack up the assets and make a move. (like he did in Y2008) Jimmy Butler could be the guy. (probably moving AB, Jae -- a pick)

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hayward is gonna have several options.
He might take the money in Utah.
But, they need to keep Hill and either upgrade Favors or keep him at a discount.
Ibaka is going to the highest bidder.

Back to the Celtics -- I think Danny is trying to make sure the C's compete for conference/NBA championship for the next 10 years -- not for the next 2-3 seasons. (which is different from his view in Y2008)

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be interesting if Ainge has the balls to trade IT for reasonable value if Celtics end up with a top 2 pick.

Question is if a team can win an NBA championship with IT as the lead player and PG. Wiz are attacking him more using Beal.

Ainge is well-known in the league for trying to get the best of every trade -- so many GMs will be slow to do a deal with Danny. But Danny has enough assets to overpay to get the right player.

I think Danny will definitely do something upfront in the offseason. I don't see Amir starting next year. (Ibaka, Millsap, Blake are all the type of player that would fit great upfront with a Stevens team.)
You just can't max a guy that is that much of a liability.

There is no hiding him unless you play the Thunder 82 games .

* Roberson*

Of all the Amir upgrades, Ibaka is probably the best fit in Free Agency.

You can't play Blake with Horford and Thomas unless you want the opposition to drive the ball down your throat every play.

No rim protection from Blake.

ZERO!

How can a guy that can jump out the building not average 10 boards or 1 block shot?

Must be those T Rex arms.

Horford is not setting the world on fire either.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the Celtics -- I think Danny is trying to make sure the C's compete for conference/NBA championship for the next 10 years -- not for the next 2-3 seasons. (which is different from his view in Y2008)
Probably.

But, he needs to stop gathering assets and show some progress.

Collecting first rounders and then cutting them 1 year into their deals is ridiculous.

Gerald Green gave them nothing.

So, why not keep the younger Hunter?

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ball movement is key in the NBA.....Fultz and IT wouldn't be bad at all....

I don't think having a backcourt of Thomas and Fultz would be optimum for either player.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Doc Rivers isn't coming home to rejoin Magic

Mecca here is an article discussing Doc and Orlando:

Clippers own Bird rights to Griffin right? Thats the argument I made for sign and trade.

The Clippers IMO need to reset the switch. Would Doc be able to handle that?

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doc Rivers isn't coming home to rejoin Magic

Mecca here is an article discussing Doc and Orlando:

Clippers own Bird rights to Griffin right? Thats the argument I made for sign and trade.

The Clippers IMO need to reset the switch. Would Doc be able to handle that?
DOc is not going back to Orlando.

That has already been debunked.

As for Blake, it doesn't work that way for a multitude of reasons.

I'll just give you the two biggest from articles on the web:

• Teams more than $4 million above the luxury tax cannot receive players in a sign and trade deal. If a team acquires a player in a sign and trade deal, then the team cannot go $4 million or more above the luxury tax for the remainder of the salary cap year. There were previously no restrictions.

Sign And Trade (new rules)
I have seen a number of people suggest we should sign and trade Blake Griffin to Indiana for Paul George.

That's not going to happen, because of the new CBA rules, and that should be cleared up so we can discuss more realistic scenarios.

See because the new CBA counts the old salary for the team trading a player out for a sign and trade, but new salary for the team accepting that player, matching salaries is difficult if you're signing them for a lot more than the new team would be able to pay them in free agency. There are benefits to doing it with teams over the cap, but realistically a sign and trade no longer results in a player getting paid a lot more by you doing it as a trade as opposed to them doing it straight-out in free agency.

There's little incentive for Griffin to agree to a move to a George-less Indiana. There's no real advantage for a free agent in that sign-and-trade scenario. We don't really offer him much additional by trying to do it as a sign and trade, and he's under zero obligation to do it as a sign and trade.

Now that's really just this Summer. That doesn't mean we cannot just sign BG and then trade him later, like at the trade deadline, for someone like Paul George. I am more referring to this Summer. I just don't see it happening.

Sign And Trade (new rules) | Clipper Talk

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DOc is not going back to Orlando.

Sign And Trade (new rules) | Clipper Talk

from Ringer article on where Lowry could go: (below is section on CP3)

First off: Chris Paul is not signing with San Antonio, so put that out of your mind. Paul is going to get $200 million from the Clippers and he is going to fulfill his apparent destiny of being this generation’s John Stockton, and there are worse things to be. The next-best option would be Lowry.