• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What should The Celtics do with the #1 pick ?...

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should trade down. Try to get an impact player.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last thing they need is another guard. They need a rebounder.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last thing they need is another guard. They need a rebounder.

Fultz has Dwayne Wade level rebounding potential.
The problem is pairing him with Thomas might not be optimal.
I'd take Fultz on potential over Thomas in a skinny minute.
So move Thomas for the best return and pair Fultz with Smart or Jimmy Butler if he is the player traded for.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft the best player and trade accordingly if necessary.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade for a Star or.....

Sounds like Markelle Fultz is already looking toward a future in green.

Fultz, the 6-foot-5 guard from the University of Washington, projected by many to be the top pick this June in the NBA draft, tells Andrew Sharp of SI.com that he's been close to Isaiah Thomas since working out with the Celtics guard and ex-Washington Husky in the summer. And he forsees them working well together should Fultz wind up in Boston.

The Celtics have the best chance (25 percent) of landing the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft Lottery.

Here's an excerpt of the SI.com feature on Fultz.

I've talked to him [Isaiah Thomas] a lot," Fultz says. And yes, the family is well aware that Boston currently has the best odds at the No. 1 pick. "We always talk about the opportunity. That would be the craziest backcourt. The way he scores, the way I can pass, and the way I can score... we can switch between the one and two.

So, to hear Fultz tell it, the two point guards could co-exist quite nicely together in Boston.

The draft lottery is May 16.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have full faith Danny will have an improved roster for next year. Griffin is a UFA and They will go after Hayward too. IT is a Celtic now, and they will sign him long term. Any of the top 4 picks will be of similar value in trade. I think its Crowder that will be on the blocks.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade for a Star or.....

Sounds like Markelle Fultz is already looking toward a future in green.

Fultz, the 6-foot-5 guard from the University of Washington, projected by many to be the top pick this June in the NBA draft, tells Andrew Sharp of SI.com that he's been close to Isaiah Thomas since working out with the Celtics guard and ex-Washington Husky in the summer. And he forsees them working well together should Fultz wind up in Boston.

The Celtics have the best chance (25 percent) of landing the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft Lottery.

Here's an excerpt of the SI.com feature on Fultz.

I've talked to him [Isaiah Thomas] a lot," Fultz says. And yes, the family is well aware that Boston currently has the best odds at the No. 1 pick. "We always talk about the opportunity. That would be the craziest backcourt. The way he scores, the way I can pass, and the way I can score... we can switch between the one and two.

So, to hear Fultz tell it, the two point guards could co-exist quite nicely together in Boston.

The draft lottery is May 16.

Fultz seems to be saying all the right stuff about teams that has a chance of taking him. He went to a Nets-76ers game a few weeks ago, watched THE NETS blow out the 76ers, and said:

"I might have a chance to go here, so I just want to come out and see how the play, the atmosphere," the Upper Marlboro, Maryland native told CSN Philly's John Clark in an interview. "I could see it happening, it would be a great atmosphere, it would be cool," he later added.

Not sure if he's commented on Phoenix or L.A. -- but he's like the reverse of Lonzo Ball. He says all the right stuff, some times just enough to get the fan base excited about the possibility of drafting him. I guess it helps that he doesn't have an overbearing father, that I'm aware of.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have full faith Danny will have an improved roster for next year. Griffin is a UFA and They will go after Hayward too. IT is a Celtic now, and they will sign him long term. Any of the top 4 picks will be of similar value in trade. I think its Crowder that will be on the blocks.

What are they realistically going to get for Crowder? I'm not saying they won't trade him but they wouldn't get back as much as they would for Thomas. I think the decision not to trade for George or Butler this season signaled the Celtics' plan -- they're happy to be competitive today but their real plan is to build for the future. They're more likely to trade Thomas than to trade any of their lottery picks.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I think IT is here for good. I think they would trade the pick if it meant a Butler or George. That, signing a Griffin, and still having Rozier, Bradley, Smart, Brown, Dancing Bear, Zizic, next year Nets #1, to pair with Al and IT would be the right plan.

Now can a Griffin/Al Horford/IT/Bradley/ Butler starting 5 with Rozier, Brown, Zizic, Dancing Bear and a few low cost sharp shooters be enough to surpass Cavs?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I think IT is here for good. I think they would trade the pick if it meant a Butler or George. That, signing a Griffin, and still having Rozier, Bradley, Smart, Brown, Dancing Bear, Zizic, next year Nets #1, to pair with Al and IT would be the right plan.

Now can a Griffin/Al Horford/IT/Bradley/ Butler starting 5 with Rozier, Brown, Zizic, Dancing Bear and a few low cost sharp shooters be enough to surpass Cavs?

Probably not -- that's why I think Boston is looking at 2019 or 2020 and not 2017 or 2018. Like I said, they're happy to be competitive right now but I think Ainge is aware that the team has a very slim chance to supplant the Cavs until about 2-3 years down the road (optimistically, maybe next year if we see LeBron start to decline). The next problem is, when can they realistically top the Warriors? Not this year. Probably not next year either. So again, we're looking at 2-3 years down the road. No sense in selling the future (the 2017 Nets pick, the 2018 Nets pick, maybe some of the other picks they've got) so that they can assure a second or third place finish in 2017 and 2018.

Maybe Thomas is part of their vision for 2019 and 2020. He'll be 30-31 years old by then but he should still be a pretty productive player.

Aside from that, I'm not sure why Boston would even want Griffin at the enormous price tag that he will likely command. He's had injury issues, does not have the fundamentals to indicate that he could excel without relying on his tremendous athletic ability (which goes back to the injury issues), and I'm not sure he'd be a good fit on their team (other than the fact that he's a forward and they've got very little talent there outside of Horford.)

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno what the Celtics should do but hopefully the league disbands the Nets.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno what the Celtics should do but hopefully the league disbands the Nets.

That would be nice. Then Brooklyn would have no draft picks to convey to Boston. When Brooklyn traded those picks for Garnett, Pierce, whoever else it was -- their owned actually said that the basketball gods had smiled on the Nets that day. Not quite.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you really believe Blake will consider Boston?

I honestly don't.

Dude wants to act and do the Hollywood thing.

He is also way to into the nightlife.

If he leaves the Clippers l, I think it will be for New York or Miami.

You should probably stay away from George too.

He's bolting to the Lakers as soon as his deal is up.

Now Hayward?

I think outside of Utah, you guys would be his top option.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really believe Blake will sign with Boston?

I honestly don't.

Dude wants to act and do the Hollywood thing.

He is also way to into the nightlife.

If he leaves the Clippers I think it will be for New York or Miami.

i could see him winding up on the Heat roster and doin' his thing on South Beach...

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are they realistically going to get for Crowder? I'm not saying they won't trade him but they wouldn't get back as much as they would for Thomas. I think the decision not to trade for George or Butler this season signaled the Celtics' plan -- they're happy to be competitive today but their real plan is to build for the future. They're more likely to trade Thomas than to trade any of their lottery picks.
Agree.

I love the little guy.

But, not enough to give him a max deal.

If they get the #1 pick, I could see them dealing Thomas.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i could see him winding up on the Heat roster and doin' his thing on South Beach...
Yep.

Sadly, he's probably smart enough to know that one more epic breakdown of his body will kill any future max deals.

So, he's going to the highest bidder.

I just hope it's not the Clippers.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

Sadly, he's probably smart enough to know that one more epic breakdown of his body will kill any future max deals.

So, he's going to the highest bidder.

I just hope it's not the Clippers.

agreed. maxing Griffin or anything close from the Clips would be straight folly...

i would say good luck to ya, man...