• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Should be Roughing the passer

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't read this whole thread, but this is my take.

1. There should be no foul for hand grazing the QB's helmet. If there was a solid shot to the head and looked malicious definitely call it.

2. If you hit a QB between the shoulder pads, and above the knees and the defensive player keeps his head up (not launching or using the crown of his helmet) then it is not a penalty.

3. If the defender runs straight into the QB with his head up and lands on the QB, no penalty as that is the least likely way a QB will ever get hurt getting hit. Yes, it is weight landing on him, but as long as he is not picked up and driven into the ground with the shoulder of the defender, it should never be a penalty.

4. If you grab a QB, have complete control of him, and the defensive player picks the QB up and throws him to the ground like he is throwing him out of a WWF ring, that is a penalty.

5. If a defensive player picks a QB up, and body slams him to the ground with his weight landing on him, that is a penalty.

6. If the defensive player launches himself at the QB while he is in the pocket and makes contact with the front or side of the calves that is a penalty. However, if he hits the QB from behind below the knees it is okay because that is the direction in which the knees bend, so less likely to sustain injury. If the QB is outside the pocket running with the football, normal rules now apply to him as any RB with the ball.

7. Facemasks, crown of the helmet hits and all normal rules still apply.

When are you running for the chairperson of the competition committee? You got my vote:thumb:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm glad they weren't flagged. When it first happened I was wondering the same thing. But as I re-watched Chung doesn't drive his shoulder through him. He more has him wrapped up with both arms and lands on him. The other defender lands on Chung who's on top of Luck.

Yeah it's just the Pats that don't get flagged:thumb:

There were a couple calls that could've went against the Colts on hits on Brady. Like the one where they picked up the flag saying the defender was pushed into him. True he was pushed in the direction of Brady. But that defender made an additional lunge at Brady's knees. Calls go both ways.

The way this game was called, granted NE beside the 1st quarter hot very little pressure on Brady. But it appeared maybe the officials were told to lessen up on the calls until after the competition/coaches met to discuss?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that some of the hitting the QB's helmet calls should go away. Many of those are nothing and the refs should use more discretion.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clean hit. Schooled!

college-hockey-check-from-behind-hockey-hit-body-check-gifs.gif

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL needs to drop the roughing rule and go back to playing Football.....

I watched a college game today where a very similar hit resulted in a targeting foul and the player getting ejected. This problem is not unique to the NFL even if the NFL stepped up its stupidity this year.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched a college game today where a very similar hit resulted in a targeting foul and the player getting ejected. This problem is not unique to the NFL even if the NFL stepped up its stupidity this year.
Targeting is bad shouldn't be an ejection I agree. But the NFL basically said hold my beer with this years roughing rule

The NFL is actually calling form tackles and disabling a defenses ability to do their job. It actually makes targeting look like a good rule tbh

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad they weren't flagged. When it first happened I was wondering the same thing. But as I re-watched Chung doesn't drive his shoulder through him. He more has him wrapped up with both arms and lands on him. The other defender lands on Chung who's on top of Luck.

Yeah it's just the Pats that don't get flagged:thumb:

There were a couple calls that could've went against the Colts on hits on Brady. Like the one where they picked up the flag saying the defender was pushed into him. True he was pushed in the direction of Brady. But that defender made an additional lunge at Brady's knees. Calls go both ways.

The way this game was called, granted NE beside the 1st quarter hot very little pressure on Brady. But it appeared maybe the officials were told to lessen up on the calls until after the competition/coaches met to discuss?
That one sack where two players landed on Luck was close. They lifted arms away, so I guess that’s ok, lol, hard to know what they are going to call these days.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think figured it out. You can only land on the passer with your stomach.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When are you running for the chairperson of the competition committee? You got my vote:thumb:

I don't want to see the QB's in the league get hurt, but you also have to let the rest of the players play football. Backup QB's are not the sexy 100 million dollar players and are usually not near as good, but that is what they have backup QB's for, incase. Time to start calling plays the right way. It is a joke this year.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm worried this will become a reviewable play

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm worried this will become a reviewable play

What do you mean ? Reviewable as in.. roughing was called and they review it to determine if it was actually roughing ?

Because I don't think it would be a bad thing if some of the ticky-tack ones get overturned.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean ? Reviewable as in.. roughing was called and they review it to determine if it was actually roughing ?

Because I don't think it would be a bad thing if some of the ticky-tack ones get overturned.
It would be bad because it would once again prolong the game and make the refs look bad in the process.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be bad because it would once again prolong the game and make the refs look bad in the process.

Meh... I don't care about the ref's feelings and potential challenges are still weighed against possibly losing a TO, so it wouldn't prolong the game.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh... I don't care about the ref's feelings and potential challenges are still weighed against possibly losing a TO, so it wouldn't prolong the game.
It would prolong the game. A review takes what 2 to 3 min. The league has just made a mess of this it's just a mess. To me it's simple.

1. No intentional hits about the shoulder pads. Simple enough if you were not pushed into the QB then it's intentional.

2. No hitting at the knee or below. Simple if the initial contact is at or below the knee and the player was not pushed into that position then it's illegal.

3. No slamming the QB, you can't pick him and body slam the dude.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can see the prolonging the game thing, but the refs are already making the refs look bad. I doubt a review will confirm how bad the refs are. They already show a roughing the passer play on average two to 3 times before heading on to the next play the way it is. They have to do something, and I agree, a review is the not the solution. Solution is to educate the refs better so they do not make sure idiot calls to begin with.