• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What progam is the premier program in the B6 conferences right now?

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go UNC, DUKE, LOUISVILLE, UVA ( in that order ) for the ACC and imo UVA is closer to the tier below them than they are the tier ahead of them.
Are you high? Since Louisville joined the ACC, UNC leads the league with 80 wins. UVa (77 wins) has won just 3 less. Louisville (69) has been just barely better than Miami (67)since they joined the ACC. Let's also ignore the fact that UVa has finished 5th and 8th in the final rankings the past 2 seasons. Compared to Louisville, finishing 10th and UR due to self ban. Oh yeah, and let's not forget that UVa has beat Louisville 4 out of 5 times since they joined the ACC.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I figured. OP didn't provide details and just said now. Which most would assume is this season. I decided to say the last 4-5 years because it includes a little history to see if a team is consistent but doesn't go to far back in the past. Also, I assume when the OP said premier program it just means how a team does vs other teams in the conference.

Don't forget Virginia can make it 3 ACC reg season champs out of four years and one second place last season in which they were one last second shot away from winning @ Duke and winning the conference again. Virginia should at the very least be in the discussion if it's just including the last 4 years.
For sure on UVA but going off what I was they don't really belong yet. If you're solely basing it on league play and only going back 4 or 5 years then sure they'd have a great argument but I'm assuming even UVA fans would trade their last 2 league titles for a Final 4

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you high? Since Louisville joined the ACC, UNC leads the league with 80 wins. UVa (77 wins) has won just 3 less. Louisville (69) has been just barely better than Miami (67)since they joined the ACC. Let's also ignore the fact that UVa has finished 5th and 8th in the final rankings the past 2 seasons. Compared to Louisville, finishing 10th and UR due to self ban. Oh yeah, and let's not forget that UVa has beat Louisville 4 out of 5 times since they joined the ACC.
Not talking about just league play and not basing it off of 4 or 5 years. I went back 10-15 years because I figured that was a good time frame for how a program is currently viewed

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@rmilia1 isn't very keen on the ACC right now. Although I think he's including tournament play as well. UVA is clearly superior to Louisville since they joined and recently as well. UVA has a chance to win the ACC 3 out of the last 4 years if they win this year and the only time they didn't win the conference would be last season with a second place finish in which they were one last second shot away from winning at Duke and winning the conference. However, UNC finished 4th and 5th in the seasons UVA won the conference regular season.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure on UVA but going off what I was they don't really belong yet. If you're solely basing it on league play and only going back 4 or 5 years then sure they'd have a great argument but I'm assuming even UVA fans would trade their last 2 league titles for a Final 4

Any team would trade for the Final Four appearances. However, this was a thread created about who is the best in their conference right now, it wasn't who in their conference has dominated the tournament more consistently over the last decade or so.

We would need the OP to specify but I assume he just meant this season and within the conference.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not talking about just league play and not basing it off of 4 or 5 years. I went back 10-15 years because I figured that was a good time frame for how a program is currently viewed
What is the purpose of going back 14-15 years? Tony Bennett has only been at UVa since 2009. That's nearly half of the time frame you are using. 4 or 5 years is a great time frame to use as those kids that came in at first are Juniors and Seniors.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the purpose of going back 14-15 years? Tony Bennett has only been at UVa since 2009. That's nearly half of the time frame you are using. 4 or 5 years is a great time frame to use as those kids that came in at first are Juniors and Seniors.

Well even in that time frame. UL has 2 final 4s and a national championship.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well even in that time frame. UL has 2 final 4s and a national championship.
My point was more to the emphasis that he said that UVa was more closer to the 2nd tier of the ACC than they were the first. Sure, they don't have the championships to prove it, but they are among the top when it comes to overall wins.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was more to the emphasis that he said that UVa was more closer to the 2nd tier of the ACC than they were the first. Sure, they don't have the championships to prove it, but they are among the top when it comes to overall wins.

O absolutely.

It's Unc,Duke, Virginia and UL as the top 4.

I do think for the purpose of this thread while Virginia has been great they have the least claim to "premier program" of the four. But all 4 are fantastic.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any team would trade for the Final Four appearances. However, this was a thread created about who is the best in their conference right now, it wasn't who in their conference has dominated the tournament more consistently over the last decade or so.

We would need the OP to specify but I assume he just meant this season and within the conference.
I took the question as who the most successful/preeminent team in each league was right now not which team has performed best in conference play. The latter isn't really opinion based. You just need to look at league records. Maybe I interpreted the OP wrong but it's pretty vague

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because if you go back 10-15 years you are basically getting the kids currently in school right as most of us started watching college ball. The recruits basically tell us who the premier programs are as they usually go to those schools. Like I said maybe I interpreted the OP wrong but to me premier means successful/well regarded/ popular. That stuff includes a lot more than jist conference records

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a comparison of how dominant a team is in their own conference.

Can't have a discussion regarding college basketball success without tournament results.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't have a discussion regarding college basketball success without tournament results.

I agree, I was attempting to decipher what the OP meant with Premier program within conference. I took it as most dominant team in the conference (meaning how they finish in their conference standings and conference tournament) and not a team in the conference that happens to be finish the best on average in NCAA tournament.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used the term program in the OP, so more or less basing it on what they've done the last 5 to 10 years and the direction they seem to be heading in the near term future, 2 to 3 years....

I'm surprised that early tourney upset and this years slow start hasn't soured some on MSU...I think they've had a couple of those in the last 5 years or so

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used the term program in the OP, so more or less basing it on what they've done the last 5 to 10 years and the direction they seem to be heading in the near term future, 2 to 3 years....

I'm surprised that early tourney upset and this years slow start hasn't soured some on MSU...I think they've had a couple of those in the last 5 years or so
I think it depends on how you took the OP. I am fairly sure if you asked the normal CBB fan this question they'd still say MSU especially as it pertains to perception. To me premier means ( at least in part ) the most well known and we'll respected but maybe not necessarily the best currently.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This OP leaves a lot to the imagination, as some of you guys are talking about. It's tough to say on this because some go back a couple years, some go back 10 years, and others go back 10-15.

Again, I am really only going to talk about the Pac as an example. With conferences that have teams that jumped from one to another, it makes it even more difficult because Cuse or Ville could have been more premier in the BE than they are in the ACC.

As far as the Pac, AZ is the premier over the last couple years.

If we go back 10 years, it's probably a wash. AZ has more wins (249-237) with 5 more losses (higher winning %), 30 win seasons, more wins in conference. UCLA has one more win in March, with 2 final fours, but nothing past 2 S16s and 3 years not making the tourney compared to AZ's 2. Both have 3 reg season titles, but UCLA has one more (2) conference tourney win. The 2 final fours obviously stand out quite a bit, but that was 10 years ago and AZ has been much better other than those two years in the last 10 (especially the last 5). AZ is trending much better, but it's pretty much a wash based on what you hold to be more important or how you read the OP.

Going back 15 years AZ is better.

OP care to specify or is that what the discussion is for? :thumb: