• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL What Place By All-Star Game Time

What place will we be in by All-Star Time

• 1st

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • 2nd

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 3rd

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • 4th

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our pitching? I think having a 5 man rotation that gives us a shot in every game is better than trying to build a 1-9 lineup and trying to score a bunch of points every game. The days of batters hitting .300+, 100RBIs+, 40-50 homers is over. This is a game of pitching, playing defense, and managing the base paths.
Just out of curiosity, how has that philosophy worked out for the Mariners or any team? I truly don’t know but when was the last time a team won the World Series who didn’t have a top 10 offense? Pitching wins championships but offense gets you to the playoffs.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just out of curiosity, how has that philosophy worked out for the Mariners or any team? I truly don’t know but when was the last time a team won the World Series who didn’t have a top 10 offense? Pitching wins championships but offense gets you to the playoffs.

I guess without double checking stats the 2015 Royals and 2014 Giants but to your credit their offenses were better than ours. I do disagree I would rather have a pitcher that is capable of a solid 6-7 inning outing then trying to out shoot and score points. You even said it pitching wins championships

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except we don't have a solid 5 man rotation that gives us a shot every game to combat our hideous hitting. Castillo is not an automatic W and quite frankly has been meh, Miller has been up and down, Woo on the IL again, Hancock in the minors and hasn't proven he can stay in the majors. Kirby and Gilbert are our 2 solid pitchers out of 5 or 6 starters. Not very good for a so call contender.

To your second point the Yankees will probably have 2 players over 40 HRs with 100+ RBIs, Phillies will probably have 2 guys with 40 HRs with possible 3 guys 100+ RBIs, Dodgers will have Ohtani over 40 with 100+RBIs and Betts got hurt so probably won't reach those numbers, Astros have guys that can hit those numbers. The point is as you can see you don't need .300 hitters but hitters that can hit in clutch or actually make solid contact. Only guy on our team that can do that is Cal and JRod from time to time.

Look at out lineup and compare our guys to the Yankees lineup, Dodgers, Phillies, Baltimore's lineup and it'll give you a clear picture why they are real contenders.

Castillo is a fine pitcher who is having a solid season his strikeout to innings pitched ratio is good he just had a rough patch so far in June. Both Castillo and miller going through rough patches is still better than like 80% of the league. anytime your ERA is under 4. that is respectable. Ohtani has been dominate for how long with the Angels? and what did he win? Did the Yankees make the playoffs last season with that great lineup?

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First everybody says that we need a ton of wins to be contenders or make the playoffs. We are still holding to 1st place and now we need hundreds of RBIs and Homers to still be in 1st place and make the playoffs. So what I am going to do is write a letter to the Mariners and request that they go put together a team with an all star pitcher rotation, all star batting lineup, all star bullpen, all star closer, manager of the year and that will be our secret sauce to winning the world series.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First everybody says that we need a ton of wins to be contenders or make the playoffs. We are still holding to 1st place and now we need hundreds of RBIs and Homers to still be in 1st place and make the playoffs. So what I am going to do is write a letter to the Mariners and request that they go put together a team with an all star pitcher rotation, all star batting lineup, all star bullpen, all star closer, manager of the year and that will be our secret sauce to winning the world series.
This is such an asinine take. There is an enormous range of offensive possibilities between the worst offense in the league (our current O) and an "all star batting lineup". Instead of trying to pair up a decent offense with our solid rotation, the front office actively sold off offense in the offseason and has done nothing to try to improve it during the season, even as it has become obvious to everyone that our offense actually is fucking terrible (which was obvious to most M's fans during the offseason).

We also don't have an "all star pitcher rotation"... by ERA we have (1) top 10 (at #10), (1) top 40, (1) top 50 and (1) top 60.... that's basically (1) all-star in our rotation (but Kirby has a chance to make it because his other metrics are better)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess without double checking stats the 2015 Royals and 2014 Giants but to your credit their offenses were better than ours. I do disagree I would rather have a pitcher that is capable of a solid 6-7 inning outing then trying to out shoot and score points. You even said it pitching wins championships
But in the playoffs you basically have 6 pitchers and the Mariners still have the problem of the inept offense getting them to the playoffs. If the M’s could’ve fielded a top 12 offense in Jerry’s tenure then you and I wouldn’t ever be discussing him losing his job cause they would’ve made the playoffs what 5 times?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you are doing the same thing you have done before. No one has asked for the best lineup, the best bullpen or the best staff. We have asked just an average offense. With $140 million dollar budget there isn’t an excuse for not having one when you have two massively team friendly contracts with Castillo and JP and Gilbert, Kirby, Cal, Julio, Miller and Munoz all making peanuts

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has said they need an all-star lineup. It would help if they had at least one position player worthy of trying to vote for the all-star game. That's not in the same zip code as your blathering nonsense.

They don't have to lead the MLB in anything, they just can't keep being DEAD FUCKING LAST in offense. If they were say 10th they'd probably be unbeatable given their pitching. 16th might be enough to have a shot.

When we are telling you they are last in Avg (as of today they are 29th) and well ahead of every other team in the game in team strikeouts we aren't exaggerating. In order for you to have any attempt to counter it you have to flat out make up shit no one said and try to argue against it. If you had a valid argument you wouldn't have to resort to this bullshit.