• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What kind of package would you give up to get Giancarlo Stanton?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't heard many Tigers fans complaining about giving up the 5 or 6 'prospects' for that Cabrera guy.

I wouldn't either for somebody I thought had anywhere near Cabrera's potential when the Tigers got him.

Not sure how that's relevant to the conversation about Stanton.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see the Tigers fans complaining about anything. They raped the Marlins and the Mariners in deals. Maybe they are the new Yankees with over hyped prospects.

O left the Tigers Fister deal out on purpose. I didn't want to reopen some old wounds.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree with you on cabrera but that is exactly my point how many of those deals came out that good? you found 1. even when you look at our own"sell-offs" how did we do? we traded cliff lee how does everyone like that deal? Even back to trading the big unit we did get garcia but who else guillen and halama? in some pub's it is recorded as one of the 10 worst trades of all time. But i do understand where you were headed

Actually the Lee deal to Phils looks real good. Fister to Tigers looks real good. Beltran to Astros, RJ to Astros, and I am sure there are plenty more if I dug into it. I am looking at it from the side of the team getting the veteran player not the team getting the prospects. Halladay for the Phils worked out good.

I think there could be more teams getting the vet benefiting more times than the team getting the prospects which is why I would deal the 6 guys I mentioned for Stanton. All players I mentioned are easily replaceable, but a Stanton type player is really hard to find especially at his age.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't either for somebody I thought had anywhere near Cabrera's potential when the Tigers got him.

Not sure how that's relevant to the conversation about Stanton.

If you don't know how that is relevant, then there isn't much reason to talk to you about this subject or baseball.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't know how that is relevant, then there isn't much reason to talk to you about this subject or baseball.

No real baseball fan would compare Stanton right now with Cabrera before he got traded to Detroit.

Pure clown talk, kiddo.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how are team is now playing, but let's us not forget that the guys producing are mainly rookies and 3-5 months of play does not make a star. Just remember Ackley's rookie season, then maybe adding a Stanton at the right price wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to the M's.

Hultzen
Paxton
Ackley
M. Saunders
Capps
Triunfel

I would be happy if we could get him for that, but I doubt highly Marlins would do it.

AZ I am with you on this one. I would do this trade in a heartbeat. This is a no brainer.

Last edited by a moderator:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No real baseball fan would compare Stanton right now with Cabrera before he got traded to Detroit.

Pure clown talk, kiddo.

Why not? It appears a valid comparison.

The ages are comparable (Stanton 23, Cabrera 24)
Both have extensive experience for their age (Stanton 435 G, Cabrera 720G)
Both hit for power (Stanton 97-7-106, Cabrera 183-10-138)
Cabrera hit for a better average (.313) while Stanton for more power (.545)
Cabrera was the better overall offensive player while Stanton makes up for it with more power and better defense.
I personally would take Cabrera at 24 than Stanton at 23, but I also know what Cabrera has been from 25-30, and I have no clue what will happen with Stanton.

I really like Stanton. He hits for power, plays solid defense with a canon arm and he's extremely young with plenty of MLB experience. That said, like so many power hitters today, he strikes out too much. One of the things that truly separates Cabrera from other power hitters is that he is willing to take any hit and doesn't always swing for the fence.

Stanton is really cheap for the Marlins right now, and he's under team control for a few more years, so I'd expect that the cost for him will be really high. I'm not even sure what would be a viable scenario that would have the Mariners getting him.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? It appears a valid comparison.

Stanton is excellent, and worth a lot. But it's a moronic comparison, not a valid one.

When he was Stanton's age, Cabrera had made the top 5 in MVP voting twice, and had been an MVP candidate every single year of his career up until his trade to Detroit, including his rookie year.

Their BA are not even close to comparable at the same stages in their careers. Caberera's OBP had already been over .400 twice at the same age.

Looking at Cabrera before his trade, you could look at him and think it was possible for him to achieve the triple crown someday. That's a different level than Stanton.

Total clown talk to claim otherwise. Sorry.

It's childish to try to argue that a Stanton trade should demand a comparable package to the Cabrera trade from Florida.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AZ I am with you on this one. I would do this trade in a heartbeat. This is a no brainer.

I'd be fine with it if we knew for sure that Hultzen's shoulder was a problem.

The comparison to Cabrera is naive.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be fine with it if we knew for sure that Hultzen's shoulder was a problem.

The comparison to Cabrera is naive.

I would do the trade even if Hultzen was healthy.

And no it is not naive, your opinion that it is naive is naive on your part. It makes complete sense to compare a trade of a young good hitter several years ago to a potential trade of a young good hitter today.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total clown talk to claim otherwise. Sorry.

It's childish to try to argue that a Stanton trade should demand a comparable package to the Cabrera trade from Florida.

Yet it would take a similar package to complete a trade for Stanton. The trade market today is different than it was when Cabrera was traded. The comparison is just fine, you go left behind in la la land. Do you even follow baseball?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do the trade even if Hultzen was healthy.

And no it is not naive, your opinion that it is naive is naive on your part. It makes complete sense to compare a trade of a young good hitter several years ago to a potential trade of a young good hitter today.

I admit that I'm in a worse mood than usual today, and might just not be seeing things straight.

Sorry to you and NW for the flamethrower language. Trying to curb that on here.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet it would take a similar package to complete a trade for Stanton. The trade market today is different than it was...

It changes nothing about Cabrera's superior OPS, AVG, RBI, OBP numbers and consecutive years in top 5 MVP voting at the same stage in his career.

Stanton's amazing, though.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It changes nothing about Cabrera's superior OPS, AVG, RBI, OBP numbers and consecutive years in top 5 MVP voting at the same stage in his career.

Stanton's amazing, though.

You are right, not disputing the talent difference.

From a trade value standpoint they are very similar and comparable which is why comparing what Detroit gave for Cabrera is relevant to this. Both of them were or are young and solid hitters. Stanton would demand a lot in a trade. He is fairly inexpensive right now and is still under team control until 2017 that alone brings lots of value.

Regardless we are not likely to trade for Stanton at this point.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cabrera was a better overall hitter at age 23 (age Stanton is now), but he also played in a better lineup (World Series caliber his rookie year), but oddly Stanton has 2 more career home runs than Cabrera did through his age 23 season and Stanton is still playing in it.

Also, don't forget Willis was included in the deal to Detroit and he was only 25 at the time with a 68-54 career record even though his final year in Florida was bad.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right, not disputing the talent difference.

From a trade value standpoint they are very similar and comparable which is why comparing what Detroit gave for Cabrera is relevant to this. Both of them were or are young and solid hitters. Stanton would demand a lot in a trade. He is fairly inexpensive right now and is still under team control until 2017 that alone brings lots of value.

Regardless we are not likely to trade for Stanton at this point.

Yeah, I can see what you and NW were saying about the trade package now.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your point, but don't give him too much credit because he offered Hamilton a ton and he did trade a couple top prospects for Upton only to have both guys turn us down. I think Hamilton and Upton should be lauded more than GMZ in these cases.

You're right. I guess I should have said that Zduriencik could have panicked years ago and tried to do things like this when other people were already giving up on the rebuilding plan, but he didn't. He gave it much more of a chance than anyone else did. I think most situations involving bad teams becoming good teams benefit from moves that were made as much as moves that ultimately weren't made for one reason or another. Looking back, I'm sure he's breathing a sigh of relief that the Upton trade didn't ultimately happen or that Hamilton chose to sign in Anaheim instead of here. It's like the old saying goes, "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good". In hindsight, Zduriencik got lucky that those two deals didn't come to pass, but name a successful general manager who hasn't gotten lucky from time-to-time.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how are team is now playing, but let's us not forget that the guys producing are mainly rookies and 3-5 months of play does not make a star. Just remember Ackley's rookie season, then maybe adding a Stanton at the right price wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to the M's.

Hultzen
Paxton
Ackley
M. Saunders
Capps
Triunfel

I would be happy if we could get him for that, but I doubt highly Marlins would do it.

Here you go. The thread I mentioned the other day about the Stanton trade proposal and the negative feedback on it. Tell me know if you wouldn't have done this from a Mariners standpoint?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy was I wrong. The trade package you mentioned would have been a steal for the M's for sure.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why I hate the term 'prospect'. Prospect has always meant 'hasn't made it yet' in my eyes so give me a MLB guy anytime over them and I will live with the few misses that happen (and no the Bedard trade was a losing proposition from the start).