• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is your opinion on starting Kaepernick?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys and gals, I'd just like to get everyone's opinion on how they'd like to see Kaepernick develop into the starting position. Thanks for your participation, and feel free to point out any flaws in my arguments.. and add anything else I left out.

The two main arguments, as I see them
  • Put him out there, let's see if he'll sink or swim
  • Let him observe and soak in knowledge, play sparingly

So, with the sink or swim argument.
The 49ers seem to be in a pretty good position to give this a try. The supporting-cast's talent level is there this time; with Edwards, Davis, Walker, Crabtree, Morgan, plus Gore out of the backfield as an exceptional safety dump... the 49ers have a lot of opportunities to create mismatches and make life easier for a young QB. Then you factor in Gore's running game, behind what is a talented offensive line (3 1st round picks, and a veteran pro-bowler at center); again, a better situation than the patchwork line that Smith dealt with as a rookie.

The defense isn't quite where you'd want it to be for a sink or swim approach. Ideally you'd like it to be where the Steelers and Jets were at, so they could erase rookie mistakes. So what if Roethlisberger or Sanchez threw an interception, most teams were lucky to get a 1st down after those turnovers. The 49ers on the other hand, their defense seems like a pretty big question mark at this point.

Now, to the slow-development approach. Some of the best QBs in the NFL today are guys who were brought along this way. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers. We can even add Joe Montana and Brett Favre to this list to enhance the credibility for this style of development. Now, another thing to consider is that all of these guys, with the exception of Aaron Rodgers, were selected in the 2nd-6th rounds. Kaepernick obviously falls into this draft category.

This way is largely beneficial for QBs, because there is so much of the offense that they need to be comfortable with in order to be successful. It's just impossible for most rookies to get to this level in one off-season, more so under this shortened off-season.

My opinion
I would rather see the 49ers take the slow route with Kaepernick. Now, I don't think this guarantees him success. I just think this gives him a better opportunity to reach his ceiling. With our situation of having a 2nd round QB, I also think it is important to note that most, if not all, of the guys who had success with the sink or swim approach were 1st round QBs.

I get the feeling that Harbaugh intends to do the slow-approach with Kaepernick. He tries to model himself after Bill Walsh, and Bill had some darn good success with Montana and Young using this style of QB development. Plus, Harbaugh himself is a 1st round QB who wasn't thrust into the starting position, but brought along behind McMahon and Tomczak.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the wait and watch approach is better, at the QB position. Kaep will get a lot of tutoring from Harbaugh which is exactly what the kid needs. He could very well develop into a great quarterback should we give him the right situation.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen him make a single throw but if what I've been reading is even remotely accurate, I'm voting slow. With his athleticism and running ability I would not mind if they had some "package" plays to get him on the field 3-6 times a game, but I would err on the side of caution. That being said I've never developed an NFL QB, which I realize is hard for everyone to believe. :)

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it really depends on the QB and how ready they are, players like Marino, Ryan, Big Ben, Bradford etc... were ready coming out of College, it could be seen. Both Smith and Kaepernick are/were project QB's that need(ed) to take the slow approach.

uclabruin094

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The sink or swim approach rarely works. Of course you'll find a Manning occasionally who can fight through a tough rookie season, but in the instance of Aaron Rodgers, sitting back and learning for a few years can't hurt. We have a QB who is ready in Alex Smith, so let's give him a chance under the new regime and sit back and wait for Kaepernick.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think starting kap would be a disaster. He won't be ready to even play in the NFL for at least a year, and I don't think he'll be very good by then either.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree Kap is going to need some time to get ready. Alex is the stopgap and Once Kap gets coached up he will be in a position with a chance to succeed rather than being put in a position to fail.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slow, put him in when he's ready. Everyone knows it's easy to look good in practice but tougher when the bullets are real. Let him get the offense down 'till it's almost instinct without thought. When he's starting to look perfect in practice, he's almost there.

:amen:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd first like to see what our oline does. Last thing I wanna see is Kap getting his shoulder blown thanks to a Davis whiff.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick played a lot in the pistol offense and spread

those don't translate well to the NFL, he's a great played but you need to wait at least a year before starting him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think attrocious O-lines have ruined quite a few potentially decent careers like David Carr's, Patrick Ramsey's, etc (maybe Alex Smith too). Not saying they would've been great, but I think all the hits they took screwed up their mentalities. I wouldn't want to stand tall & confident in the pocket if I knew a behemoth was going to land on me every other play.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the Oline, has there been any mention of progress from Anthony Davis and Rachal Chilo, I've read a lot about Snyder and his learning Center and will likely back up the entire line, but haven't read much on the others.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't heard any Oline news other than Center business..dunno if that's good or bad.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is some oline news in the camp thread now. Sims, and Boone

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you see him, now you don't. ;)

Somebody went bye bye.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't heard much about A. Davis, I think there was one sentence about him, and it was pretty much just acknowledging that he was in camp and wasn't out of shape. Which if I remember correctly was a knock on him during the draft.

That is something I'd like to have in place for Kaepernick too, solid pass protection at the tackles. Staley does well, but in his own opinion he took a step back when he tried to bulk up... now Staley thinks he'll get back to his better form now that he's more focused on staying quick instead of bulking up.

Ray, thanks man. I wanted to ask this for months on ESPN to see where you guys stood with this, but I knew it would turn into an ode to how I hate alex smith and the 49ers by a few guys, so I didn't even bother. Which of course was confirmed by one clown I noticed, rambling on about Alex, York, and Baalke... which has nothing to do with what I was even asking.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem man. I have a no tolerance policy with the clown crew. He or they can talk amongst themselves on the four letter board.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like for Optimus Prime to start immediately.