• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is the best current and historic Rivalry in the NFL

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Current: Steelers vs Ravens

Historic: Packers vs Bears

i thought this would be a fitting thread since the best current rivalry kick off this weekend. Go Ravens! :yahoo:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i thought this would be a fitting thread since the best current rivalry kick off this weekend. Go Ravens! :yahoo:

Steelers suck, it can't be the best rivalry if one team sucks. Regardless of superbowls in the past or even last year.

Seattle vs. SF is far more compelling right now in my book.

KC vs. Den stock is trending up at the moment, but nothing has been proven to suggest it will be entertaining which is a prerequisite in my book to be the "best rivalry currently".

NO vs. ATL... Same problem with Bal vs Pitt right now.

Chi vs. GB Certainly interesting, one of the better ones as long as Chicago performs well and Rodgers remains a Packer.

All the NFC East rivalries right now with the possible exception of Dallas and Philly are no longer compelling.

Could list some other rivalries, but I am far too lazy to do such a thing.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers suck, it can't be the best rivalry if one team sucks. Regardless of superbowls in the past or even last year.

KC vs. Den stock is trending up at the moment, but nothing has been proven to suggest it will be entertaining which is a prerequisite in my book to be the "best rivalry currently".

Chi vs. GB Certainly interesting, one of the better ones as long as Chicago performs well and Rodgers remains a Packer.

All the NFC East rivalries right now with the possible exception of Dallas and Philly are no longer compelling.

Teams sucking has nothing to do with how good the rivalry is. just look at the OK vs TEX game this weekend. Ravens are sucking this year as well.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but no rivalry tops Cowboys vs Indians...and the Cowboys were victorious last weekend :suds:

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but no rivalry tops Cowboys vs Indians...and the Cowboys were victorious last weekend :suds:

:laugh3: i see what you did there..

why do you got to sell out and be PC? i thought you were better than that ford....:L

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams sucking has nothing to do with how good the rivalry is. just look at the OK vs TEX game this weekend. Ravens are sucking this year as well.

Oklahoma and Texas are not that good, not as compelling as say a LSU vs Bammer. I have to ask what is your standard then? It only begs the question as to what constitutes the best current rivalries. I give more weight to performance in individual years than I do the past. Very simple summation of my opinion, but I would like to hear your reasoning.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3: i see what you did there..

why do you got to sell out and be PC? i thought you were better than that ford....:L

lol, not selling out. Just reminding everyone of a game they have been playing since they could make a finger-gun and run around chasing friends in their neighborhood.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Doesn't "current" mean "right now"?

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma and Texas are not that good, not as compelling as say a LSU vs Bammer. I have to ask what is your standard then? It only begs the question as to what constitutes the best current rivalries. I give more weight to performance in individual years than I do the past. Very simple summation of my opinion, but I would like to hear your reasoning.

my standard is good games, so even though the one team may be bad the game is still going to be close and good because the energy is so electric that it makes the game great. Upsets are another great reason why rivalries are great. OK vs tex was a great example of that.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my standard is good games, so even though the one team may be bad the game is still going to be close and good because the energy is so electric that it makes the game great. Upsets are another great reason why rivalries are great. OK vs tex was a great example of that.

Fair enough, I can see how you would come to your conclusion then.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I assumed as no criteria was given.

I was trying to kid him, but he is certainly right that the Ravens and Steelers have had a great rivalry that has included many great games in recent years. Just seems funny to think of the Steelers, who finally won a game, as a great rival for any team when they have such a poor record. Perhaps there is enough left in the season for that to change, though.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

agreed

Division games are always tough

btw, love the avatar brother

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PIT has been sucking the last 2 seasons, but current has to mean current era I would think. I think 10 yrs is fair enough to be an era.

That said...I agree with the OP...PIT vs BAL

If current means this yr...I agree with you SF vs SEA is it.

Historically...this I think will vary based on how old you are...there was a long period in the 70s when CHI vs GB didn't mean anything on the national level. Then they both had a good run, 80s for the Bears and 90s, but the other was not very good during those runs.

For me this one might be DAL vs WAS.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PIT has been sucking the last 2 seasons, but current has to mean current era I would think. I think 10 yrs is fair enough to be an era.

That said...I agree with the OP...PIT vs BAL

If current means this yr...I agree with you SF vs SEA is it.

Historically...this I think will vary based on how old you are...there was a long period in the 70s when CHI vs GB didn't mean anything on the national level. Then they both had a good run, 80s for the Bears and 90s, but the other was not very good during those runs.

For me this one might be DAL vs WAS.

i thought of going with that one as well, both are great rivalries, and i don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was trying to kid him, but he is certainly right that the Ravens and Steelers have had a great rivalry that has included many great games in recent years. Just seems funny to think of the Steelers, who finally won a game, as a great rival for any team when they have such a poor record. Perhaps there is enough left in the season for that to change, though.

Probably not, bur we shall see. I think you're taking a short term view when rivalry suggests some kind of longevity.

I think for a rivalry to be great...both teams need to have won championships, at the least a DIV title. On the other hand upset wins to knock a team out of the playoffs or something when one team is down really makes it good and hateful.

I'm always right

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs / raiders.

But Packers / Bears has to be the GOAT rivalry. IMO, the Ravens can't even been in this conversation because they haven't existed as the Ravens near long enough. Part of what makes a rivalry is the historical aspect of it.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs / raiders.

But Packers / Bears has to be the GOAT rivalry. IMO, the Ravens can't even been in this conversation because they haven't existed as the Ravens near long enough. Part of what makes a rivalry is the historical aspect of it.

that is why i said historical and current.