• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is everyone's handicap?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That first time breaking 90 was cool though, huh? Wait till you break 80. Might take a while but I know a lot of guys in their 50s who shoot in the 70s all the time.......including me. I'm fortunate that my wife loves for me to go play golf. She's a good woman!

70s have created more frustration actually because I've only done it twice...79 in a tournament no less, 20 mph sustained wind in DAL...TPC Craig Ranch, tough track, that was my first and most rewarding sub 80 round...the other later in the same year...an easy wide open track shot 77. But that was in '09!!! The peak of my playing days 60+ rounds a yr back then...haven't really come that close since...I did shoot 35 for 9, then 50 on the back 9 this yr.

I do agree, you have a GOOD woman there...hang on to her. My father-in-law pretty much tainted the game for my wife b/c he was never around...always playing golf....she's finally coming around as the kids are getting out of college. I'm looking foward to more golf.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
70s have created more frustration actually because I've only done it twice...79 in a tournament no less, 20 mph sustained wind in DAL...TPC Craig Ranch, tough track, that was my first and most rewarding sub 80 round...the other later in the same year...an easy wide open track shot 77. But that was in '09!!! The peak of my playing days 60+ rounds a yr back then...haven't really come that close since...I did shoot 35 for 9, then 50 on the back 9 this yr.

I do agree, you have a GOOD woman there...hang on to her. My father-in-law pretty much tainted the game for my wife b/c he was never around...always playing golf....she's finally coming around as the kids are getting out of college. I'm looking foward to more golf.

Glad to hear it. Golf is a fabulous game! I'm a decent golfer, but I practice and play a lot. I have a friend who plays with me only on Sunday, never practices and only hits maybe half a bucket to warm up before the round and he shot 63 last month and 64 this month. Its ridiculous.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure currently. Probably a 1 or 2, dont get out as much with the kids and the eyes going to hell. Worst round this year was a 79, best was a 67.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to hear it. Golf is a fabulous game! I'm a decent golfer, but I practice and play a lot. I have a friend who plays with me only on Sunday, never practices and only hits maybe half a bucket to warm up before the round and he shot 63 last month and 64 this month. Its ridiculous.

Wow...now he IS a natural.

I played with a scratch once...a single that joined our twosome and one other single...we're all saying what our hdps were on the 1st tee and he kind of mumbled..."scratch", but he hadn't played much recently...guy shot 67...said he'd never played there before.

My father-in-law is probably the best player I've played many rounds with...back then...he'd be around even or 1 or 2 under....so there's hope!

7NationalChampionships

SportsHoopla Top 10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the first of Spring I was round 100, Now I'm in the mid 80's just depends on how many beers I drank that day. I always feel like I forget how to play every year, cause I'm not a year around golfer lol.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've run across many tour pros in my life so far.... All have said that unless you can effortlessly shoot mid to low 60's on your home course, to not even dream about playing for a career. I believe them.. A good buddy of mine has won twice on the Nationwide/web.com tour, made well over 1 million on that tour, has had his PGA tour card twice & right now, has no place to play... It is really, really tough to make it by playing.

My 1 handicap isn't even good enough to win my club championship...

I am nowhere near at the level of some of you guys. However - I talked to a guy in a bar a few years back who said that he lived in FL & played on one of the tours & made decent but not great money. He said that he was not ready to make the total commitment which was huge. He stated that a lot of guys were hitting 1000+ balls/day when they were not playing in a tourney.

Even on the recreational level I have heard guys say that they didn't mind reverting to a higher handicap when it meant not devoting insane amts of time to practice since they felt it was too much like work. I guess that everyone is different.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last time I played shot an 84. And wasn't putting good at all and my irons still need some work.

Prob 12-13, but once I start playn more could be shooting in the 70's hopefully

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even on the recreational level I have heard guys say that they didn't mind reverting to a higher handicap when it meant not devoting insane amts of time to practice since they felt it was too much like work. I guess that everyone is different.

There's something to that...I do want to get better...at least back to my best game which I think I can do. But I'm not sure I want to put in the time, and money to be a low single digit right now.

My view on the game is this...100s are frustrating, probably losing a ton of balls. 90s, you're hitting enough good shots that you feel like a little extra practice, etc. and you can have a respectable game. 80s, you're a golfer...70s you have serious game. Low 70s/60s...where do you work?

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
21 here; never played more than 5 rounds in a year. Been practicing a lot more (at least once a week until the monsoon season this summer) and no longer chunk 15 shots a round. My short game is what holds me back, but even then I can only drive ~ 280 if I really get hold of one.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know what mine is...I play a 9 hole league every other Thursday and that's all I play except for a few scrambles every year...if I were to guess I'd be about a 4 or 5 handicap now. I can still go out and shoot 68 on a crum dum course but can shoot 80-85 too. I quit playing competitively back in 2003...played the minis for 4 years and just started to hate the game...from 2004 until 2012 I bet I played maybe 15 times...got in this league last year and averaged a 38, this year I'm at a 36 and have had some real opportunities to play real well a few nights...now I'm starting to get the itch. I hit some shots some nights and think I'm back and then reality sets in and I hit it two fairways over...the course we play is short as shit (6300 yards) so as the lower handicappers can see I got nothing anymore...I was a big fish in a small pond as a kid growing up in Ohio...I remember playing with my college teammates the first time and I was just another good player...when I started playing the minis I realized I just played golf. I know alot of guys out there today and a bunch of other guys that like SFNL said no longer have a place to play...I was the kid that always knew and hung out with the really good players, unfortunately they were at another level than me but I always thought I was one good round away

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
21 here; never played more than 5 rounds in a year. Been practicing a lot more (at least once a week until the monsoon season this summer) and no longer chunk 15 shots a round. My short game is what holds me back, but even then I can only drive ~ 280 if I really get hold of one.

Hard to get a game going playing so little...but then your expectations probably don't drag you down. Scrambling is probably the most consistent part of my game, but my iron play is so inconsistent I put too much pressure on my short game to score. 230-250 is more than enough on most tracks I play on...6200-6600 yds.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people who play golf don't have a real handicap and don't know what it is, they just come up with a number based on an average of their last few rounds. I have never registered a score because I don't belong to a club. I just tell everyone that I've never gone around in less than 100. At that point, does it matter if you call it a 28 or something else? You know I suck and we're not putting any money on the round.

f you don't belong to a club, you can't have an official handicap. And if you don't, then the number you're coming up with is essentially for gambling purposes only. And we ALL have been on the course with that punk who says he's a 12 and he's really a 28...and some of us have been on the course with the guy who SWEARS he's a 19, and can you PLEASE give him one more stroke, and he's really scratch but he wants to rid you of 50 bucks or he's just dying to win the club's medal.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
found out yesterday that my handicap is my swing :(

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing a Palmer track way out east tomorrow...Cherokee Run...one of the tougher tracks around...72.8/139/6564 from our tees.

Not really the length that gets you here as most of the longer driving holes play down hill off the tee...constant elevation change, never a flat lie, and difficult green complexes.

But...I'm expecting something in the 80s...or better :rollseyes:.

We got the weather for a change!

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing a Palmer track way out east tomorrow...Cherokee Run...one of the tougher tracks around...72.8/139/6564 from our tees.

Not really the length that gets you here as most of the longer driving holes play down hill off the tee...constant elevation change, never a flat lie, and difficult green complexes.

But...I'm expecting something in the 80s...or better :rollseyes:.

We got the weather for a change!

Awesome! Report back when done.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:laugh3: Conyers? are your riding your bike? Jealous, though, Cherokee Run is a gorgeous, deadly track - should be lush as hell...don't forget your DEET.

I've never had a handicap but have played my whole life...peaked during college (worked at the MSU Golf Course - played 36>54 holes a day after closing; polo golf)...haven't kept a scorecard in 20 years...whenever possible, play 'Clinton Rules' - unlimited mulligans except on the greens. I've been blessed (by luck, circumstances, extensive travel, connections, expense accts, etc) to play bookoo glorious runs all over the world, but my favorite was the old East Lake GC course in the late 1980s...I was one of a couple hundred guys who shared minimum maintenance costs...'goat ranch' might properly describe the conditions...but we didn't care...ELGC was St. Bobby's home course...something magical about taking a piss on the same huge live oak that Bobby Jones hisself did 50 years earlier.

ps...playing East Lake nowadays is as easy as copping a time at the Augusta National.:bawling:
East Lake Golf Club Home Page

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3: Conyers? are your riding your bike? Jealous, though, Cherokee Run is a gorgeous, deadly track - should be lush as hell...don't forget your DEET.

I've never had a handicap but have played my whole life...peaked during college (worked at the MSU Golf Course - played 36>54 holes a day after closing; polo golf)...haven't kept a scorecard in 20 years...whenever possible, play 'Clinton Rules' - unlimited mulligans except on the greens. I've been blessed (by luck, circumstances, extensive travel, connections, expense accts, etc) to play bookoo glorious runs all over the world, but my favorite was the old East Lake GC course in the late 1980s...I was one of a couple hundred guys who shared minimum maintenance costs...'goat ranch' might properly describe the conditions...but we didn't care...ELGC was St. Bobby's home course...something magical about taking a piss on the same huge live oak that Bobby Jones hisself did 50 years earlier.

ps...playing East Lake nowadays is as easy as copping a time at the Augusta National.:bawling:
East Lake Golf Club*Home Page

Bookoo? Are you ex military? I've only heard that term from my army days many, many moons ago. I'd forgotten about it.