• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is everyone's handicap?

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been playing a lot more this year than I have for the past 5 or so. As a result of that, I am currently at a 1. I think I started the year at a 4 or 5.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been playing a lot more this year than I have for the past 5 or so. As a result of that, I am currently at a 1. I think I started the year at a 4 or 5.

I haven't been playing much until this year, and haven't been posting, but I was a 9.8 when I was playing, now about 13 dwn to 1 in college, getting back into it again.

Thats a great game you have...

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thx. I didn't play in college (mainly because we had a teacher's strike my senior year of hs & didn't get to play) but after college I went to work in the golf business. Started as an assistant on my way to being a head pro but hated it. Eventually I moved outside to be a caddy and actually make money. Did that in FL & Nantucket. About the time I was 28 I realized that I wouldn't be able to live that lifestyle for the rest of my life. It was fun (played in the FL state amateur & got through 1 round of US Open qualifying once) but I had to get out of the business.

The economic collapse unfortunately happened at about the same damn time. Moved back to my hometown and went to work as a banker. Hated it but did it for a few years... Eventually started selling cars. Hated it. Now I recruit new members/golf outings/weddings for the country club that I grew up at. Coming into the tail end of the season now, year 1 has been fairly successful and I have been able to play again. It is tough to work with an ecclectic board of governers and a part-time GM that doesn't know dick about golf, but I'm trying.... Currently trying to get those fucks to institute some sort of fall membership drive, but they are a stuffy bunch and don't like to listen to a 33 yr old.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thx. I didn't play in college (mainly because we had a teacher's strike my senior year of hs & didn't get to play) but after college I went to work in the golf business. Started as an assistant on my way to being a head pro but hated it. Eventually I moved outside to be a caddy and actually make money. Did that in FL & Nantucket. About the time I was 28 I realized that I wouldn't be able to live that lifestyle for the rest of my life. It was fun (played in the FL state amateur & got through 1 round of US Open qualifying once) but I had to get out of the business.

I was going to ask if you played on any tours...50+...I'm an NFL head, but golf is my passion. I wish I had started playing much earlier...for the few times I've been there, 70s golf is a lot more fun than 80s...can only imagine 60s.

I've got a friend that tried the mini tours in TX...started late, like 29-30...he had the swing and but not the putter. His wife shockingly funded him for 2 yrs....think he made like $18k in 2 yrs...not sure I'd want to play golf for a living if I really needed it to put a roof over my head.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L.O.F.T. An 11-12 when I'm playing a couple of times a week. Work schedule has been a bitch this year and I've only been out 4 times. Today will be 5. If I break 90 I'll be happy.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've run across many tour pros in my life so far.... All have said that unless you can effortlessly shoot mid to low 60's on your home course, to not even dream about playing for a career. I believe them.. A good buddy of mine has won twice on the Nationwide/web.com tour, made well over 1 million on that tour, has had his PGA tour card twice & right now, has no place to play... It is really, really tough to make it by playing.

My 1 handicap isn't even good enough to win my club championship...

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I will disclose that I used to play for a living. Mainly mini tour and PGA sectional events. Played a couple when it was still called the Nike Tour; Hooters Tour; Iron Man; etc...

The day I decided to quit was during an event on a very very difficult course. I played the first 18 holes with 16 pars and 2 birdies (2 under). Next day I played the front 9 with 5 pars and 4 birdies.

I was 6 under through 27 holes - And had not made a single bogey yet.... Looked up at the leaderboard and I was 4 strokes back.

I realized that I was playing my A+ game, and still could not win on a mini tour. Done :)

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer the question of the thread. I am now actually playing the worst golf of my life, and am a 3 handicap. I took a break from the game for a few years while I went into a different career. Got my amatuer status back after a few years, and started learning how to just play for fun now.

I went from shooting 68 to 76 - and could not care less. Jumping on a cart, having a cold one or two, enjoying the stress free day, and knowing that life goes on regardless of what you shoot, is all pretty cool.

Most fun I've had playing since I was a kid.:suds:

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bogey golfer. Love going out and knocking back a few beers.

I don't have the time to really go out and practice as much as I would need to in order to make large improvements to my swing/game, but I do what I can. HC is at 15 right now and I'm perfectly ok with that. Just make it a goal to break 90 each time out.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is really, really tough to make it by playing.

My 1 handicap isn't even good enough to win my club championship...

Yep...he learned the hard way. People don't realize just how good touring pros are...Jame Mason made it for a cup of coffee on the Champion's Tour, we know him..I was good friends with Chip Cochran...his older brother actually made it pretty well Rust Cochran...we used to watch him years ago.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bogey golfer. Love going out and knocking back a few beers.

I don't have the time to really go out and practice as much as I would need to in order to make large improvements to my swing/game, but I do what I can. HC is at 15 right now and I'm perfectly ok with that. Just make it a goal to break 90 each time out.

That's basically my game...normally in the mid 80s on my normal rotation tracks. All depends on my short game because like most players at our level...don't hit many GIR...on the rare occasion I do hit dbl digit GIR high 70 is in my wheel house.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably playing to about a 12 handicap but I have had 2 scores of 75 this year and of course those were the only rounds under 80. Golf is an awesome sport because you can't blame anyone but yourself. The other positive is that there is no "old lady bitching" about mowing the yard, cleaning out the garage, paint the bathroom, change the light bulb, clean the deck, seal the driveway and a host of other shit. SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!!

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been playing for 40 years...lowest I ever had my handicap at was 16...Just can't get the body to do what I know the mind has too.

I could care less unless playing for cash, then I'll use the handicap, most important to me is just "trying" to hit good shots, knowing I'll be in the trees sooner or latter.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been playing for 40 years...lowest I ever had my handicap at was 16...Just can't get the body to do what I know the mind has too.

I could care less unless playing for cash, then I'll use the handicap, most important to me is just "trying" to hit good shots, knowing I'll be in the trees sooner or latter.

And I bet you still love the game. Its a funny game that way. To some it comes naturally but to most it doesn't. Even at 10 years old I could shoot 42 for nine holes, but to many the game remains a mystery. Everyone can play but hardly anybody plays the game well yet we all seem to enjoy it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even at 10 years old I could shoot 42 for nine holes, but to many the game remains a mystery.

I think when you start the game and how can establish your ceiling. I started in my 30s...(now 50s) had lessons from day one...broke 100 a fairly quickly (counting all the strokes it, about 8 or 9 rounds I think it took)...but was stuck in the 90s a long time before breaking into the 80s...good chance I'll never have a game like yours, but it is still fun.

I know a couple of people that picked up the game early late and became really good players...one is a friend who is a house dad (his wife is a Dr.) and my father-n-law (but he pretty much wrecked his marriage in the process).

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never really thought about what my HC is. Mostly shoot in the upper 80's. I just try to consistently strike the ball as solid as possible and not pay too much attention to the final score.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never really thought about what my HC is. Mostly shoot in the upper 80's. I just try to consistently strike the ball as solid as possible and not pay too much attention to the final score.

80s (any 80s) golf counting all the strokes is very respectable imo.

I'm still amazed at players that say they are "X" hdcp and in money games (where medal is part of the game) they pickup after so many strokes saying they can't take anymore strokes due to their hdcp...BS, I understand ESC, but that's not how it works. If you're picking up for pace of play, I'm all for it.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when you start the game and how can establish your ceiling. I started in my 30s...(now 50s) had lessons from day one...broke 100 a fairly quickly (counting all the strokes it, about 8 or 9 rounds I think it took)...but was stuck in the 90s a long time before breaking into the 80s...good chance I'll never have a game like yours, but it is still fun.

I know a couple of people that picked up the game early late and became really good players...one is a friend who is a house dad (his wife is a Dr.) and my father-n-law (but he pretty much wrecked his marriage in the process).

That first time breaking 90 was cool though, huh? Wait till you break 80. Might take a while but I know a lot of guys in their 50s who shoot in the 70s all the time.......including me. I'm fortunate that my wife loves for me to go play golf. She's a good woman!