• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What ever happened to West Virginia?

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aTm or Mizzou would have run through the Big"12" undefeated this year.

:happy:

SEC!

lol

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. while WVU is a good program theres a big difference between playing in the big east vs the b12. sure wvu can beat 1 or 2 teams from the power 5 each season in spectacular fashion. but trying to play a full conference slate of power 5 programs is a whole different ballpark

2. the massive travel distance.

3. they are an east coast team. traditionally they have had success recruiting east coast states particularly florida. while texas is a talent rich state what gets overlooked about TX is that they dont export recruits in the same way that california, florida, georgia, new jersey, and ohio do. what WVU lost by no longer having a florida presence they cant make up by having a texas presence.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aTm or Mizzou would have run through the Big"12" undefeated this year.

:happy:

SEC!

lol

Yeah, all of a sudden they look like world beaters.
Missouri, who hasn't gone undefeated in any conference they've been in since Hitler ruled Germany and aTm that averaged 4.5 losses a year in the Big12.

Keep dreaming.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. If you take out Mack's, Akers' best, and DKR's best seasons and focus on McWilliams and Mackovic's tenure Texas is quite ordinary. Thanks for tip.
I know you can't do that ... that is why Texas is considered an elite football program. I am also aware that football is cyclical, and that even the elite teams have up and down years.

That said, my point is simple. To hear UT fans talk about the coaching change, they can't wait to dump the one coach that gave them the only 9 years, for the most part, in the past 30, where you could actually say that UT was any good (there a couple odd good years thrown in there here and there). When Mack resigned he said that UT "is a top 5 program and needs to get back there." Funny, but UT has only been a top 5 team in 6 of the last 30 years. My observation is simply that the UT expectations, and perception of the strength of their program in what I would consider the modern era of college football, seems to be at odds with the facts.

Does this means Texas sucks? Of course not, it is an elite team. Does this mean that the new coach will come in and turn things around? Maybe. The coach will certainly have the talent and the money to do so. But I am assuming that the money and the talent was there in the 24 years when UT wasn't in the top 5 ... so it isn't the certainty that a lot of UT fans assume it is.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually 7 of the last 30, 8 if you count 1983.. Ranked 19 of the last 30. Hard to say that is mediocre. Bama is also at 19 of 30, just for a pt of reference.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Everyone needs a bit of luck. I do not think Auburn will win. System screws them. Auburn is a brutal match up with 1 week preparation. Malzahn is basically running 1970s offense out of the spread. Wing T meets wishbone. They are one dimensional. Marshall threw 25 ints in JUCO last yr. He is a great athlete, he is not a QB. I think the 4-5 weeks to prepare is going to hurt Auburn.That is a long time to work on assignment football.
Marshall is a little better than you are making him out to be but he is no NFL prospect by a long shot. For some reason I can't explain he does have that "it" factor that finds a way and that has been fun to watch. Jeremy Johnson who is a true freshman and is backing up Marshall has potential to be fantastic and two years in Malzahn's offenses is going to be a life time compared to what Gus is normally used to. The future is bright for the Tigers.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marshall is a little better than you are making him out to be but he is no NFL prospect by a long shot. For some reason I can't explain he does have that "it" factor that finds a way and that has been fun to watch. Jeremy Johnson who is a true freshman and is backing up Marshall has potential to be fantastic and two years in Malzahn's offenses is going to be a life time compared to what Gus is normally used to. The future is bright for the Tigers.
-
He is a good player in that offense. His success is just specific to that type of offense. Modern day Jamelle Holloway. It is why I love Malzahn. He crafts his offense to his players abilities, without deviating from his philosophy. It is very impressive. If Auburn is forced to pass it will be a bad outcome for Auburn fans. He can hit a few passes set up by the run, but the craziest of Auburn fans would not expect him to carve up defense from a 5 step drop.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually 7 of the last 30, 8 if you count 1983.. Ranked 19 of the last 30. Hard to say that is mediocre. Bama is also at 19 of 30, just for a pt of reference.

Top 5 - 6
6-10 - 1
10-15 - 6
15-25 6

is what I found.

Again, my point stands. 1/3 of the time not ranked, and then 12 of the 20 years ranked outside the top 10. Many programs would kill for that, along with a NC and some conference championships. But, those results are not congruent with the posting we see here that trends along the lines of UT has some type of birthright to top 5 finishes. As you point out, it doesn't happen for a lot of teams, even Bama that is on a huge roll right now.

My position really isn't so much anti-UT as much as it is an observation of fan perception.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 5 - 6
6-10 - 1
10-15 - 6
15-25 6

is what I found.

Again, my point stands. 1/3 of the time not ranked, and then 12 of the 20 years ranked outside the top 10. Many programs would kill for that, along with a NC and some conference championships. But, those results are not congruent with the posting we see here that trends along the lines of UT has some type of birthright to top 5 finishes. As you point out, it doesn't happen for a lot of teams, even Bama that is on a huge roll right now.

My position really isn't so much anti-UT as much as it is an observation of fan perception.
-
What happened to 30 yrs? Now we are to 20 yrs. Top 5 program does not mean top 5 finishes every yr. I believe that has only been once in history (FSU?). You do realize that 10 yrs of top 15 football will likely make you one of the top 5 most successful programs. It is not a secret that Texas is not playing up to its potential. When it is running on all cylinders is a near top 10 lock. Problem is that has not happened in a long time and it requires a lot of good luck. That is why Texas fans want a new coach. You are simply pting out the recent history, which Texas fans know all to well. We shall see what a new coach brings. Seems unlikely it will be a major disappointment considering Texas had its first 4 consecutive 4 loss seasons in its history.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
What happened to 30 yrs? Now we are to 20 yrs.
Still at 30 ... I as referring to the 19 years you were ranked, not the 11 years you weren't ranked.

I think you have a more realistic approach than many of your UT bretheren.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still at 30 ... I as referring to the 19 years you were ranked, not the 11 years you weren't ranked.

I think you have a more realistic approach than many of your UT bretheren.

Thats saying a lot.

Rivaled only by oregon fans for way over estimating their achievements and non-justified cockiness. :lol:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3. they are an east coast team. traditionally they have had success recruiting east coast states particularly florida. while texas is a talent rich state what gets overlooked about TX is that they dont export recruits in the same way that california, florida, georgia, new jersey, and ohio do. what WVU lost by no longer having a florida presence they cant make up by having a texas presence.
Meh we were never what you would call loaded with FL players anyway, some on the roster for sure but we have buttered our bread with PA/OH/NJ/MD kids, and still do. We still get FL players in the spots where we need them (as does everyone) and I would argue that the B12 has actually helped with our branding by being seen more in Texas and further west. If we can pull anywhere from 1-3 kids out of Texas per year then I call that a huge win in recruiting and credit the move for it.

brin3535

moose twit!
Hoopla Cash
$ 955.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, all of a sudden they look like world beaters.
Missouri, who hasn't gone undefeated in any conference they've been in since Hitler ruled Germany and aTm that averaged 4.5 losses a year in the Big12.

Keep dreaming.

Uh oh! Looks like you have a hook in your mouth.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are Texas fans still trying to prop up their history even though they only won that shitty Southwest Conference 25 times in 80 years, and their biggest rival was Arkansas that only ranked 24th in winning percentage in that same time frame.??

Nothing changes.

mutiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on your definition of success aTm finished 3rd in the west and 5th in the conference last year and 4th in the west and 6th in the conference this year. This being with having the greatest player in their history. Is that immediate success?

Mizzou is benefitting from Georgia's horrific injury situation and Florida & Tenn's utter collapse. Still tied for the East title and got beaten by 17 points in the championship game to finish 4th in the conference over all.

In other words don't believe the hype.

You are an idiot. LMFAO at the 17 point loss in Championship Game. 45-42 end of 3rd Qtr. You scored a TD on 4th and Goal from the 1 yard line in which your OL tackled our DL so he could get in the end zone. You scored your last TD because Mizzou decided to go for it on 4th down at their own 20.

If their is one team I will start to hate is Auburn real quick. So far, I wasn't a big fan of their players during the game and their fans suck balls.

mutiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Virginia sucks because they played in a crappy conference which made them look better than they were. Big 12 made a huge mistake taking WV over Louisville. Really dumb….in fact the Big 12 should have taken Louisville and Cincy. West Virginia is too far away and that actually hurts all that are involved. If they wanted 12 then TCU and Memphis as well. All would improve in football and 3 of them would give them a very solid basketball conference. It would add some recruiting areas as well for all schools and all of them are still close enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are an idiot. LMFAO at the 17 point loss in Championship Game. 45-42 end of 3rd Qtr. You scored a TD on 4th and Goal from the 1 yard line in which your OL tackled our DL so he could get in the end zone. You scored your last TD because Mizzou decided to go for it on 4th down at their own 20.

If their is one team I will start to hate is Auburn real quick. So far, I wasn't a big fan of their players during the game and their fans suck balls.
Have fun in the conference then bud because compared to Bammers and Florida fans (when they get on a roll) we are princes.

The good news is the Titans have diverted a lot of the Tenn riff raff away so they are sooooo much better than they were 20 years ago.

A little advice run your mouth in Baton Rouge during a night game when the Cajuns are drunk and you will lose your teeth.

mutiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have fun in the conference then bud because compared to Bammers and Florida fans (when they get on a roll) we are princes.

The good news is the Titans have diverted a lot of the Tenn riff raff away so they are sooooo much better than they were 20 years ago.

A little advice run your mouth in Baton Rouge during a night game when the Cajuns are drunk and you will lose your teeth.

I am so scared