• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do the Washington Capitals do?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Telling Stat: 43.6% (17 of 39) of Capitals losses have been by 3 or more goals (includes OTL)

:burt:

Wow that's awful.
Haven't seen many Caps games, but that's the sign of a team folding up shop.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know what Hunter's plan is from night to night. This team needs more speed. I would let Semin walk on July 1st. Take some of the money & sign Parenteau. I think he would be a perfect compliment to Ovi & Backstrom.

2nd line Center is definately a need. I like Laich, but he's best suited for 3rd line duty. The problem is finding one. Whoever the GM is will have to probably acquire one through a trade because the UFA market is thin. Fortunately he will have two 1st round picks to work with & both might be top 14 in the draft.

Hunter must go. GMGM is a tough call because who do they get to replace him? Fenton from Nashville? Nill from Detroit? I don't know many of the up & comers. I thought Hextall with the Kings was a guy to keep an eye on, but after the Kings traded for Penner, Richards & Carter I'd think long & hard before giving him the opportunity to run my team.

Next season a HEALTHY Mike Green could do wonders.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see an impending Flyer-esque "rebuild" but OV and Backstrom wont be moved, and UFA/hard working Semin wont fetch a ton.

IMO a Bylsma calibre coach wouldnt be a large enough turnaround, let alone the bad decent coach that gets brouhght in.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a dream I made love to Jesse Lee Denning. I was really pissed when I woke up.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd fire Hunter and GMGM. It's not that McPhee hasn't made good moves, but if you want a change, start at the top. That lets the players know it's serious and that it's franchise wide. I agree that Semin is gone to the KHL if not in Washington. On defense I'd probably consider letting Green go, resign Wideman, maybe Carlson, and pick up a more defensive oriented guy (couldn't tell you who's available...). On offense resign Perrault, if the price seems right for one of Aucoin/Beagle. It's actually a good "restructuring" offseason for the Caps. Have the big names locked up for the most part, just need to pick and choose who the extra parts are.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a dream I made love to Jesse Lee Denning. I was really pissed when I woke up.

I don't know who that is, but I'll just assume it's some southern guy.

:behindsofa:

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know who that is, but I'll just assume it's some southern guy.

:behindsofa:

dalemay_calendar2011_jesse15.jpg

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice.... you should go back to sleep. :heh:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade with the Capitals West.

To WAS: Pavelski and Boyle
To SJ: Chimera, Johansson and Carlson and a 2013 1st Round Pick

:heh:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade with the Capitals West.

To WAS: Pavelski and Boyle
To SJ: Chimera, Johansson and Carlson and a 2013 1st Round Pick

:heh:

then flyers west vs. caps west might be a bigger rivalry than flyers east vs. caps east

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd do that.

Yeah, I was laughing because DWil wouldn't do it. He wants to win now with Thornton and Marleau.....It helps the Capitals now in that they get a replacement for Greene and a 2nd Line Center. The Sharks get some much needed Cap Relief (no pun intended) and some young talent to build around Logan Couture, Brent Burns, and Marc-Edouard Vlasic. It would most likely benefit both teams.

The Sharks are too $ heavy in the Center department. Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture and Handzus are all natural Centers. That's $23.275M tied up in natural centers. Pavs, Marleau and Couture can play the wing as well; but I like Couture and Pavelski better at Center. Pavelski has some attributes that would make him an ideal center (FO% and defensive awareness), but he has some flaws there too (lack of speed/skating ability and lack of size). As a winger, he doesn't have the size or speed to get in and punish on the forecheck, but he does have an amazing shot and an ability to find the open ice in scoring positions.

Last edited by a moderator:

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honstely, best player you'd be getting would be Chimera. I think its more likely that Carlson has a bounce back year because he's played that well before. This year Johansson has made me believe that his ceiling is a mediocre 2nd line center. He has some of the skill and the skating ability to be a good player, but not as a center. Horrible on draws (43.4%), very spotty D-zone coverage, plays even shorter than he is (MP85 plays just as physical as he does), just flat out loses the puck off his stick far too often. I get that he's young and might develop into more than what I think he will, but I guess we'll see.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honstely, best player you'd be getting would be Chimera. I think its more likely that Carlson has a bounce back year because he's played that well before. This year Johansson has made me believe that his ceiling is a mediocre 2nd line center. He has some of the skill and the skating ability to be a good player, but not as a center. Horrible on draws (43.4%), very spotty D-zone coverage, plays even shorter than he is (MP85 plays just as physical as he does), just flat out loses the puck off his stick far too often. I get that he's young and might develop into more than what I think he will, but I guess we'll see.

True, but the allure of the trade to me would be Carlson and the cap space. Chimera would be more of a stop gap/roster filler so that there's not too precipitous of fall. The Sharks would save (even with the due raises to Johansson and Carlson) approximately $5.5Million, get younger and add a player to their roster. I don't think the Thornton-Marleau (although I'd LOVE to eat crow on this) experiment is going to yield a Stanley Cup, so I'm thinking long term here.

If the Sharks iced this roster next year, it would put them at an estimated $56.36M. They'd have close to $10M in cap space to work with to sign Free Agents:

Marleau-Thornton-Johansson (estimated $15.65M)
Clowe-Couture-Havlat ($11.5M)
Chimera-Handzus-Galiardi (estimated ($5.25M)
Winnik-Desjardins-Wingels (estimated $2.55M)

Vlasic Burns ($8.86M)
Murray-Carlson (estimated $4.5M)
Demers-Braun ($estimated $2.5M)

Niemi ($3.8M)
Greiss (estimated $.75M)

They will most likely sign Brad Stuart away from Detroit (as he wants to be in or near hias Campbell/San Jose, California home). Assuming Stuart signs, Douglas Murray is probalby traded for a draft pick or prospects. If they can get somebody like Ray Whitney as well, I think they'd be a more balanced team than they are this year. Like I said earlier, I really think this trade would be mutually beneficial.

Last edited by a moderator: