• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Are Our Thoughts On The Shea Weber Deal

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shea Weber has signed an offer sheet from the Flyers, $100 Million over 14 years. Nashville has 7 days to match. Certainly in the short term this makes the Flyers tremendously better. It would cost them 4 1st rounders but those will probably be mid 20s picks anyway. Tough to find fault with locking up the best defenseman in the league for the rest of his career. I hope Nashville matches.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is Philly getting all this money? that's my biggest reaction...

So what did the Devils do exactly with Kovy that was deemed as an act of treason in the eyes of the NHL, yet I'm seeing 13 yrs, 14 yrs deals being tossed out there?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing I hate, is along with the Parise/Suter deals, the signing bonuses are crippling to a smaller market team. By July 1, 2013 Weber will make I believe $27 million, with I believe $13 million in signing bonuses the first year and something similar in year 2. It seems about as close to cap circumvention as you can get without it being cap circumvention.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly is at least trying to get better, and that's what your supposed to do.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What's worse? The Devils circumventing the "Spirit" of the salary cap or the Wild, Sabres, Flyers, etc. circumventing strict rules within the CBA

Spam only

Holy Hell
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so ilyas 17 year 102 mil contract violated the spirit of the cba

then how does parise/suter/webers deals not violate the spirit of the cb

the way around it is the signing bonus
how the hell is weber gonna get 52 in bonuses in the first 4 years

give us our damn money back and we no longer need to give up a 1st
on top of that give us a 3rd round at the position we lost
thank you very much

this is crap
all crap
the way game 6 played out and then these contracts are clearly violating the spirit of the cba

Vortimous

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can be summed up very easy and explained why the Kovy deal was not okay and the other teams deals are okay.... and that is

THEY ARE NOT THE DEVILS!!!!

Enough said.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

So what did the Devils do exactly with Kovy that was deemed as an act of treason in the eyes of the NHL, yet I'm seeing 13 yrs, 14 yrs deals being tossed out there?

Philly is loaded.... Boston, NY, Philly, Detroit, Chicago, and all the canadian teams sans Ott have basically unlimited resources compared to most of the other teams.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is actually 14yrs/$110M offer from Flyers. Do they really have this cap space?

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Flyers make tons and tons of money. TONS. We can afford the cash. And there's nothing in the CBA about long term deal when it is reasonable for the player to play out the contract. The problem is...

Another thing I hate, is along with the Parise/Suter deals, the signing bonuses are crippling to a smaller market team. By July 1, 2013 Weber will make I believe $27 million, with I believe $13 million in signing bonuses the first year and something similar in year 2. It seems about as close to cap circumvention as you can get without it being cap circumvention.

so ilyas 17 year 102 mil contract violated the spirit of the cba

then how does parise/suter/webers deals not violate the spirit of the cb

the way around it is the signing bonus
how the hell is weber gonna get 52 in bonuses in the first 4 years

give us our damn money back and we no longer need to give up a 1st
on top of that give us a 3rd round at the position we lost
thank you very much

this is crap
all crap
the way game 6 played out and then these contracts are clearly violating the spirit of the cba

...that these two guys are right. The signing bonus loophole (which my team is using in this instance) is completely unfair to the smaller market teams. This is an effort by the Flyers, a large market team, to essentially price a player out of a smaller market team's reach despite that second team having plenty of cap space. It's us using our financial leverage to outbid the other guys, and while I'm fine with that if it were, say, us spending to the ceiling versus a team not going past the floor, that's not the case here. Don't get me wrong, I love my team and I want Weber really badly, but if the NHL lets this deal go through the way it is, I'd be on board for returning some picks to the Devils.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is actually 14yrs/$110M offer from Flyers. Do they really have this cap space?

Yes. Doesn't leave us with a ton to spare in the offseason, but we'll squeeze under and once the season starts, we can put Pronger back on LTIR and bam, fine again.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It means lou and Beek can kiss those 1,700 new sth bye bye.

Yes I know we have money "issuses" but like sj said flyers keep trying to get better. You wonder why that building is always packed? Because fans appriciate shit like this.

What do we get? Our franchise player goes because our gm doesnt do extensions. We habe a year of worryimg about zajac leaving. Don't have another top 6 forward. we havent gotten any younger esp on the back line where I think only 2 dmen are below 30.

Giroux brierre schenns webber hartnell why wouldn't you wsnt to go see that team its entertaining.devils we get batch and jansen carter bernier!

Once those sth see whats what bye bye

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's a shame too because the devils were turning the page and getting some interest as evident of thew new sth. You get a full year of Parise and kovy and an exciting style of play that's what gets fans in the seats....thats what keeps you from going into money issues. But now we have carter barch jansen bernier to look forward to yay!

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we know Lou tried his best to get Parise and Sutter but in the end it came down to money, which Lou can't (but will) be blamed for.

Philly has a ton of money, and the reason the arena is always packed is because 1) its a hardcore sports town and 2) they're not competing with TWO other local teams that have been around longer than them. Factor in EVERYONE in South Jersey considers themselves Philly fans and its easier to get to...whatever bank owns that arena now than The Rock, The Garden, and The Coliseum it makes perfect sense why that arena is always packed.

Doesnt matter though, somehow its all Lou's fault.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lou tried his hardest to sign parise? Are you for real? Just like gomez just like nieds just like mogilny and rafalski. Its a revolving door of talent. It's really a shame because if we couldve kept half of that talent the team wouldve got past the 1st round more then 3x in 9 years.

Also im tired of the argument that the devils are going up against "established" franchise. Newsflash the devils have been here for 30 fucking years. You make it sound like if your "new" you cant succeed? Use that example in any business there are 5 pizza places in my town. Some will fail but its their fault they do. It's up to the team to improve to take the next step. Reach out to the fans.

Shit i mean you just decalred half the state to the flyers...wtf are the devils doing to change that? And yes that falls on lou...hes more then the gm.

Shit ive seen first hand proof that fans can be "converted" or atleast modified. my brother in law is a ranger fan always has been. He takes his son 5 years old to a mid week non ranger game at the rock. Kid is hooked his room filled with devil gear. Chances like that are out there all over the state.

Open the players up to the fans. I'm not into twitter but im sure all the kids are....sure they would like a tweet from clarkson? Shit speaking of him he's the only devil ive ever seen in a commercial....how is that even possible. I bet you can find people who dont even know who marty broduer is.

Lou is at fault. 20+ years of running it..he has to take the blame with the good.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Shit he will probably wait tok zajac is on a plane to winnipeg before he opens up talks.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Flyers make tons and tons of money. TONS. We can afford the cash. And there's nothing in the CBA about long term deal when it is reasonable for the player to play out the contract. The problem is...

...that these two guys are right. The signing bonus loophole (which my team is using in this instance) is completely unfair to the smaller market teams. This is an effort by the Flyers, a large market team, to essentially price a player out of a smaller market team's reach despite that second team having plenty of cap space. It's us using our financial leverage to outbid the other guys, and while I'm fine with that if it were, say, us spending to the ceiling versus a team not going past the floor, that's not the case here. Don't get me wrong, I love my team and I want Weber really badly, but if the NHL lets this deal go through the way it is, I'd be on board for returning some picks to the Devils.

What irritates me the most is that its a loophole to get around the 'kovy' clause. The posturing, the punishment, and the whole arbitration process was a worthless sham because Bettman and the NHL put no effort into stopping the prior contracts and were too lazy to setup a system to prevent further ridiculous contracts.

I'm really scared for hockey next year as well. Fehr has a history of getting nothing done within a reasonable time. Bettman and the NHL have accomplished nothing over the past 7 years and he really needs to be replaced. Meanwhile the Owners and GMs have no unity among themselves and are too busy trying to screw each other over and abuse the system than thinking about the upcoming lockout.

Its not looking well for us fans.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lou is too slow because he is too old. It is time to get younger GM.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6a00e5505fc4968834010536e09336970b-800wi.jpeg