• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What an a$$hole...!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read things saying multiple execs said similar, but I don't know if this is one repeating what they heard from another. I know that during visits with several teams they reorted him being on the phone a lot. There is a vibe about him that he thinks he got it all.

I, of course, haven't met him and he is not on my team, so I know I have missed some coverage that might contradict or mitigate these things. I won't say any behavior, habit, or attitude is necessarily permanent nor impressions entirely accurate. I do think New York is wrong for him and he is wrong for New York if he wants to turn around. This already is worse than Newton, not only because Newton made up for it in talent but where Geno went.

Obviously, I have mobile posting problems. Fixed it above, even though I know it doesn't matter, as you knew what I meant.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
this is only one person's opinion, but IF this is even close to the truth......the Jets shouldn't have drafted him that high. for me, wouldn't even draft him, there is no ceiling.

It's only one person's opinion? Here's the part of the quote which you singled out:

"I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches," said one exec. "... You can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down." Another NFL exec questioned Smith's leadership. "He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader.

Emphasis (pointing out it's 2 different people's opinions) mine.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno Smith of New York Jets remains in spotlight for all the wrong reasons - ESPN New York

Geno Smith's maturity questioned
Updated: May 3, 2013, 3:49 PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

One week removed from his infamous draft-day slide, New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith has remained in the spotlight for all of the wrong reasons.

Smith's behavior before, during and after the draft has raised questions about his maturity, according to NFL talent evaluators. It also may have cost him money, approximately $3 million a year.

At least one quarterback-needy team in the top 10 passed on him because of the diva attitude he displayed in a pre-draft visit, according to a league source.

After falling out of the first round, the former West Virginia star threatened to leave the draft and go home. He dropped to the second round and responded by firing his agents, sparking another firestorm of criticism.

"He's going to have a tough time in New York," an NFC scout said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Right now, he's coming off as a spoiled, pampered brat."

Leading into the draft, word spread that Smith was preoccupied with his cell phone during pre-draft visits, texting friends and checking Twitter during meetings with team officials, as first reported by Yahoo! Sports.

In the NFL, a team visit is akin to a job interview. An aloof prospect is a major turnoff.

A league source confirmed the report. In fact, an official from one team -- not a team that visited with Smith -- said the cell-phone episode was mentioned and discussed in its draft room while evaluating Smith.

That same team rated Smith the top quarterback in the draft, but assigned him only a second-round grade.

Initially, the Jets had some doubts about Smith. They met with him at the scouting combine in February and weren't blown away, according to a source.

They gave him the benefit of the doubt, chalking it up to interview fatigue. The combine can be taxing for the top prospects, all of whom are swamped with team interviews, one after another.

The Jets met again with Smith on the eve of his pro-day workout in Morgantown, W. Va., and they came away "raving" about him, a source said. They also flew him to Florham Park, N.J., to meet with him at their facility.

"We've visited him, we went out to dinner with him, we brought him to New York, we went to his pro day, we've watched him play, we've been on his campus," general manager John Idzik said. "So we did our homework on Geno and we got a real good feel for him."

Coincidentally, the team parted ways this week with the scout who did the most homework on Smith -- assistant director of college scouting Michael Davis, whose contract wasn't renewed. West Virginia was one of the schools in his territory.

Smith's bad publicity started before the draft, when Pro Football Weekly trashed him in its annual draft guide. Its scouting report questioned his work ethic and leadership skills, saying "he's not a student of the game ... and doesn't command respect from teammates."

Smith still was regarded as a possible top-10 pick. The Jets passed on him at No. 9, and again at 13, before selecting him with the 39th pick.

He will sign a four-year contract for roughly $4.99 million, the amount of last year's 39th choice, St. Louis Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins. If he had been in the heart of the top 10, he would be making more than $4 million per year.

The fall, he said, was "hard to stomach." Smith claimed his decision to fire his agents, Erik Burkhardt and Jeff Nalley of the Select Sports Group, wasn't directly related to the plummet. But it sent a bad message to NFL types.

"One of his perceived weaknesses is working through adversity," an AFC personnel executive said after the news broke that Smith was changing agents.

Smith couldn't be reached for comment. He was asked about the criticism the day after he was selected by the Jets. That was before he fired his agents and before information emerged regarding his pre-draft visits.

"My character and my play speaks for itself," he said. "The people who've known me my entire life, and who have coached me, have all come to my defense. As far as that goes, I'm just looking towards the future and really not worrying about the past."

Smith received a playbook immediately after being picked and he will return May 10 for the team's rookie minicamp, where the spotlight will be focused on him. He's in a five-way competition for the starting job, with the incumbent -- the embattled Mark Sanchez -- basically saying he won't let a rookie take his job.

"I'll help him out as much as I can," Sanchez said. "But when we have to compete, we have to compete. That's the way it goes."

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Top-10 team passed on Geno for 'diva' reasons

ESPN New York reports at least one quarterback-needy team passed on West Virginia's Geno Smith in the top-ten picks because he displayed a "diva attitude" during a pre-draft visit to club headquarters.

The report aligns with a recent one from Yahoo Sports claiming Smith spent most of his time texting and checking Twitter on his cellphone during visits to club facilities. "He's going to have a tough time in New York," predicted one NFC scout. "Right now, he's coming off as a spoiled, pampered brat." Once club official confirmed to ESPN New York that "the cellphone episode was mentioned and discussed in its draft room while evaluating Smith." Added one AFC exec, "One of his perceived weaknesses is working through adversity." Smith can make this all go away by playing well in football games.
Source: ESPN New York

May 3 - 4:13 PM

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet the scouts and coaches were impressed with his tweeting skills.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I was never all that enamoured of Geno, but he has all the talent necessay to succeed in this league. However, I think the Jets would be one of the most difficult teams in the NFL in which to succeed. If he weer Andrew Luck on the Jets, I'd think differenly; but I think the odds are against him.

I always liked EJ Manuel, but I don't see how he's going to succeed on the Bills. Tough luck for both of 'em.

It's looking like it's going to be easy to root against Geno though. He's not making a great first impression on me.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I equate Geno Smith as a lesser talented Jeff George.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno Smith won't attend Mark Sanchez's Jets West camp

I know there's no point in him going to CA to compete with Sanchez and it certainly would be a bit hostile (I don't see Sanchez as a guy who exactly welcomes competition, whereas a few do). But it would seem working with the receivers would help. The absence of criticism for not going would at least not be negative. Etc. What's the harm in going? Just go.

This reminds me of when Troy Smith, after one game, chose to take his bye week to Ohio, rather than asking anyone to stay and work with him (like a certain current Chiefs QB despite being the backup worked with Crabtree at the Bye in Crabs rookie year). He was getting the plays and gameplan faxed to him. One could say that all he'd be doing is studying anyway, that he's probably working hard in Ohio, and it would be hard to convince someone to stay with you, but come on, what's the harm in staying? Just stay.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also elected not to attend the offseason practices set up by Sanchez. Which seems really fucking stupid if you ask me... for a rookie to act like he has nothing to benefit from working out in the offseason with the vets.

Something about the Jets and QB's...

(edit: saw MHSL82's post after I made mine... same point)

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So for Geno Smith, his recent resume includes:
*challenging some reporter's comments on twitter
*(appeared) to be pouting during the first round and left early
*had to be talked into coming back for the second round
*gets drafted by the Jets and while walking out to the podium points and scowls at the fans booing the pick (that will work really well in New York Geno).
*then he fires his agent because they "mis-advised" him.

Things are not looking good fr Geno. Who ever it was that said Ryan Leaf 2.0 hit the nail right on the head.

Good resume so far ,huh? I think that now he was thinking he would be handed the starting QB job without competition .He pouts again!

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Apparently there are players who support him in this decision. They point out that he Jets don't have a starting QB, so why should Smith bow to Sanchez.

Also, what QB would want to learn from Mark Sanchez?

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a bitch move. Always a sense of entitlement with these kids now. The kid is mad he was drafted in the second round instead of first overall. It was known he wasnt going to be the #1 pick. He should be happy to be given a chance to play in the NFL at all.

This is why I hate Eli Manning. Saying he wouldn't play in San Diego if they drafted him and essentially forced a trade on draft day.
I know this is catching up, but I'm new to the board and it seemed that Eli's bargaining position was primarily driven by his dad. I don't know for certain of course, but I can imagine most of the direction of that negotiation was managed by Archie and Eli's agent (if Archie wasn't).

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently there are players who support him in this decision. They point out that he Jets don't have a starting QB, so why should Smith bow to Sanchez.

Geno Smith, for whatever reason, annoys people.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also elected not to attend the offseason practices set up by Sanchez. Which seems really fucking stupid if you ask me... for a rookie to act like he has nothing to benefit from working out in the offseason with the vets.

Something about the Jets and QB's...

(edit: saw MHSL82's post after I made mine... same point)

Smith has alway seemed like an asshole from the time he fired his agent for not getting him drafted high enough. I hope he ends up being a bust.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, but I only see it as time spent doing reps with the receivers. Practicing can't hurt versus not, unless he has better practice elsewhere or is learning bad habits (no real coaches there). Also, avoiding criticism for not going can't be bad, though criticism avoidance shouldn't be the motivator. People can always rationalize that one alternative does nothing or less than not going, but there would be some positives in going, I assume. It would be better to do it where more players are available - California is as good as any besides New York, I suppose.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I don't know if I follow this logic. Some really crappy QBs have become very good QB coaches. I don't know if a QB's ability / play has anything to do with a young QB's ability to learn from him.