• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What an a$$hole...!

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe this very attitude is what made him tumble? can this type of personality lead a team in tough times? or is he going to pass blame to teammates and continue the circus in NY?

this is where the GM's job is tied to his QB, he had better be right?

Ryan Leaf 2.0

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sick, Geno hasn't signed a contract yet. Whatever his first contract ends up being, his new agent will get a cut of. The former agent is screwed. He footed the bills for all of the training etc, and is now SOL.

Bingo, Andrew Brandt (former agent and front office guy) strongly implied earlier today that agents frequently make promises to potential clients the agent has no control of making true (in regards to draft position etc).

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno Smith - QB - Jets

The New York Daily News reports No. 38 pick Geno Smith has fired his agents over "displeasure (with) his draft position."

Welcome to the big leagues, Geno. Per reporter Manish Mehta, Smith thoughtApr 30 - 1:17 PM

Brings to mind the reasoning Crabtree used when he figured the 49ers should pay him according to where he thought he should have been drafted.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny. Shit like this is half the reason he wasn't a first round pick. Not having first round talent played a role too, but this is how you show you should have been drafted higher?

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what I thought about that afterwards before posting that news. However, I'm sure it's prohibited for them to make any "promises" to their clients to lure them. I am almost certain that that is part of the standard practice for that profession as part of their ethical bylaws.

Not saying the agent did or didn't do any of this, but in the hypothetical (and in the realistic) scenario, how stupid is Geno Smith for believing this "promise?" How stupid is Geno Smith for believing he'd be the first pick overall, period? Yet another shining example of the educational product that West Virginia produces (other alums are Chris Henry and Pacman).

West Virginia charges non-residents an annual estimated $25,000-$30,000 depending on living circumstances. Money that is clearly well spent. Maybe the academic community is vastly removed from the athletic community at this "learning institution."

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno Smith - QB - Jets

The New York Daily News reports No. 38 pick Geno Smith has fired his agents over "displeasure (with) his draft position."

Welcome to the big leagues, Geno. Per reporter Manish Mehta, Smith thought he "would and should be the No. 1 overall pick," but was given "no assurance of his draft position." Smith shooting the messenger over his draft position isn't a promising indication of how he'll handle the New York spotlight, but players changing agents is hardly a rarity. It won't be a story going forward.
Source: New York Daily News

Apr 30 - 1:17 PM

What a little bitch. I hope he gets his little Beetlejuice he'd knocked off on the first play from scrimmage. That moron should be thanking his lucky fucking stars he's in the NFL.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's funny. Shit like this is half the reason he wasn't a first round pick. Not having first round talent played a role too, but this is how you show you should have been drafted higher?

just read an article (Jason Cole?) which talks about his leadership, or lack there of. a team can't invest a high pick on a QB who can't lead?

he also mentioned how he visited teams and was more interested in texting, than wooing NFL personnel.

the worse one is NFL execs saying he won't listen, ie can't be coached? IF true, wow!

he'll likely blame teammates and continue the Jets circus?

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was reading this article in NFL.com about Geno Smith's decision to fire his agent and saw this passage..

"...Finally, Smith felt betrayed when two clients of agent Jeff Nalley signed with teams that seemed to be possible NFL landing spots for Smith -- Chase Daniel with the Kansas City Chiefs and Kevin Kolb with the Buffalo Bills...."

Last time I checked, the Bills drafted a QB, EJ Manuel, in the first round.. So his reasoning that because Kolb got signed by the Bills diminished his chances of getting drafted by them does not follow...

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading this article in NFL.com about Geno Smith's decision to fire his agent and saw this passage..

"...Finally, Smith felt betrayed when two clients of agent Jeff Nalley signed with teams that seemed to be possible NFL landing spots for Smith -- Chase Daniel with the Kansas City Chiefs and Kevin Kolb with the Buffalo Bills...."

Last time I checked, the Bills drafted a QB, EJ Manuel, in the first round.. So his reasoning that because Kolb got signed by the Bills diminished his chances of getting drafted by them does not follow...

This, and the Chiefs had just traded some good picks for Alex Smith (as you well know), so that one is out the window, too.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

How dare these agents work for other clients? The nerve of Nalley to help other QBs who pay him find jobs with teams that need QBs!!!!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, I have no problem with Geno Smith in all of this.

I think he sees a conflict of interest in his former agent and the advice he was given to skip the senior bowl does seem suspect considering the others the agent represents and their contracts they signed.

One thing I recently learned about Geno, he is a smart dude, I'm not saying he will make it as a starting QB in the NFL nor that he should be the No. 1 overall (And I don't really think that's what he was saying either, anyone else have a source that says different, let 'em rip and I'll concede) but if you are in contract with someone and you cant trust them any longer, bottom line, you should find someone else to do the job.

This happens all the time in pro sports but this story seems to have some outside legs. I have no connection to Geno Smith, as a matter of fact, I have a greater fondness to QB Matt Barkley despite my dislike of the USC Trojans.

We should all take a step back and see this for what it really is, and that's a non-story by some dude trying to make a buck in journalism who got lucky his spin caught some traction....

End of story.

Last edited by a moderator:

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe his agent promised him he wouldn't be drafted by the JETS?

:noidea:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know, I have no problem with Geno Smith in all of this.

I think he sees a conflict of interest in his former agent and the advice he was given to skip the senior bowl does seem suspect considering the others the agent represents and their contracts they signed.

One thing I recently learned about Geno, he is a smart dude, I'm not saying he will make it as a starting QB in the NFL nor that he should be the No. 1 overall (And I don't really think that's what he was saying either, anyone else have a source that says different, let 'em rip and I'll concede) but if you are in contract with someone and you cant trust them any longer, bottom line, you should find someone else to do the job.

This happens all the time in pro sports but this story seems to have some outside legs. I have no connection to Geno Smith, as a matter of fact, I have a greater fondness to QB Matt Barkley despite my dislike of the USC Trojans.

We should all take a step back and see this for what it really is, and that's a non-story by some dude trying to make a buck in journalism who got lucky his spin caught some traction....

End of story.

true about part in bolden, if i lost trust in my agent....for whatever reasons....i'd fire him too.

also true i jumped to conclusions myself. yeah, there has to be two sides to this story.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe his agent promised him he wouldn't be drafted by the JETS?

:noidea:

I hear that was the reason Alex wanted to be released, to avoid the possibility of being traded there if the Jets offered the most. ;)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the longer snippet if you don't feel like clicking on the link:

A source "close to Geno Smith" tells Deadspin he fired his agents because they "handled him like a potential high pick," advising him to do things like skip the Senior Bowl.

"I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches," said one exec. "... You can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down." Another NFL exec questioned Smith's leadership. "He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader. I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league." Per Yahoo's Jason Cole, Smith spent "much of his time on his cell phone" during pre-draft visits. "All these other players were talking to coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one source said. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback."

Geno Smith - New York Jets - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

my2cents

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So for Geno Smith, his recent resume includes:
*challenging some reporter's comments on twitter
*(appeared) to be pouting during the first round and left early
*had to be talked into coming back for the second round
*gets drafted by the Jets and while walking out to the podium points and scowls at the fans booing the pick (that will work really well in New York Geno).
*then he fires his agent because they "mis-advised" him.

Things are not looking good fr Geno. Who ever it was that said Ryan Leaf 2.0 hit the nail right on the head.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's the longer snippet if you don't feel like clicking on the link:

A source "close to Geno Smith" tells Deadspin he fired his agents because they "handled him like a potential high pick," advising him to do things like skip the Senior Bowl.

"I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches," said one exec. "... You can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down." Another NFL exec questioned Smith's leadership. "He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader. I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league." Per Yahoo's Jason Cole, Smith spent "much of his time on his cell phone" during pre-draft visits. "All these other players were talking to coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one source said. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback."

Geno Smith - New York Jets - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

this is only one person's opinion, but IF this is even close to the truth......the Jets shouldn't have drafted him that high. for me, wouldn't even draft him, there is no ceiling.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is only one person's opinion, but IF this is even close to the truth......the Jets shouldn't have drafted him that high. for me, wouldn't even draft him, there is no ceiling.

I have read things saying multiple execs said similar, but I don't know if this is one repeating what they heard from another. I know that during visits with several teams they reorted him being on the phone a lot. There is a vibe about him that he thinks he got it all.

I, of course, haven't met him and he is not ony team, so Iigjr have missed some coverage that might contradict or mitigate these things. I won't say any behavior, habit, or attitude is necessarily permanent nor impressions entirely accurate. I do think New York is wrong for him and he is wrong for New Yorl if he wants to turn around. This already is worse than Newton, not only because Newton made up for it in talent but where Geno went.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I think the Jets could not afford to let him pass them on the 2nd round... The criticism on him was mostly about his attitude not his skill set... He was rated as a late first rounder, early second rounder... Teams like the Jags, Raiders, KC, Browns are interested in QB's as well and they will be picking ahead of the Jets in the 3rd round... There is no guarantee that Smith would have lasted to where the Jets would be picking in the 3rd...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the Jets could not afford to let him pass them on the 2nd round... The criticism on him was mostly about his attitude not his skill set... He was rated as a late first rounder, early second rounder... Teams like the Jags, Raiders, KC, Browns are interested in QB's as well and they will be picking ahead of the Jets in the 3rd round... There is no guarantee that Smith would have lasted to where the Jets would be picking in the 3rd...

yeah ok, i can believe he has skills, i'm not questioning that part at all. but without the right attitude, where are those skills taking you?

if you can't accept adequate Coaching, think you already know/can't learn, and don't lead your teammates, you're not going anywhere with your team?

you lead your teammates by first having a good work ethic, they can cut you slack being a rookie, but they won't cut you slack if you're all about yourself. imagine the Coaches trying to install his offense to someone who isn't fully committed?