• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What am I missing about Calvin Johnson??

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amen. I just pray Mayhew doesn't get a hard on for a RB or WR in the 1st round this year. Upgrade the OL before talking about being a running team. Get some depth at DT before worrying about a #5 WR.

You can take a RB in the first and OL in the second or go OL then RB. Either way you upgrade both positions. IMO any guy taken to play LG in the second would almost have to be a instant upgrade over Sims.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amen. I just pray Mayhew doesn't get a hard on for a RB or WR in the 1st round this year. Upgrade the OL before talking about being a running team. Get some depth at DT before worrying about a #5 WR.

He's already hosted 2 WRs expected to go in the first or second round, so I'd say a WR in the first 2 rounds is almost a guarantee.

Especially after he failed to get his hands on Sammy Watkins last year. Mayhew is jonesing for his WR fix.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's already hosted 2 WRs expected to go in the first or second round, so I'd say a WR in the first 2 rounds is almost a guarantee.

Especially after he failed to get his hands on Sammy Watkins last year. Mayhew is jonesing for his WR fix.
They did already bring Coleman in too.

If we draft a WR early, Id imagine CJ is being shopped.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With the urgency Mayhew appears to have in finding a new no.1 WR in here, makes you wonder what he knows about Calvin's injuries that we don't (yet).

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the urgency Mayhew appears to have in finding a new no.1 WR in here, makes you wonder what he knows about Calvin's injuries that we don't (yet).

Rusty is perfectly capable of being this stupid without Calvin being hurt. See 2014 draft.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CJ being shopped would be my first guess also. However Smitty, now we are both thinking Mayhew is thinking ahead with a plan of attack. Can that be possible?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Amari Cooper slid to the Lions I would get drafting a WR in the 1st.

But outside of that it makes no sense. Which means it entirely possible that Mayhew takes a WR. Some guys in this draft I would like the Lions to draft like Gurley, Coleman, and Funchess. But with the needs I can't see any of them being taken by Detroit, at least in the first and very well the second.

The only way I see the Lions drafting a skilled guy before addressing Guard, DT, or slot CB is to trade down and acquire extra picks.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ being shopped would be my first guess also. However Smitty, now we are both thinking Mayhew is thinking ahead with a plan of attack. Can that be possible?
You got a good point there Gandy.

Good chance were witnessing Mayhew bein Mayhew. (I could see Broyles telling guys to tank their interview.)

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Amari Cooper slid to the Lions I would get drafting a WR in the 1st.

But outside of that it makes no sense. Which means it entirely possible that Mayhew takes a WR. Some guys in this draft I would like the Lions to draft like Gurley, Coleman, and Funchess. But with the needs I can't see any of them being taken by Detroit, at least in the first and very well the second.

The only way I see the Lions drafting a skilled guy before addressing Guard, DT, or slot CB is to trade down and acquire extra picks.

Only way Amari Cooper slips to the Lions is if he tears both of his ACL's before the draft and doctors fear he'll never play again. In that case, Mayhew will have his draft card in at 14:59.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ being shopped? I wouldnt get my hopes up if I were you guys. After all, How many teams are looking for an oft injured and declining WR with a 20 mil contract?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ being shopped? I wouldnt get my hopes up if I were you guys. After all, How many teams are looking for an oft injured and declining WR with a 20 mil contract?

Can the Lions trade with themselves?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it seem everyone is down on him and talking as if his career is almost over? He doesn't even turn 30 for another 6 months.

Are there some major injuries I have missed? I thought the last two times he missed games was due to high ankle sprains, which has nothing to do with age or wear and tear on the body. I have a couple posts where he has one or two good years left, which means at 31, he'd be done (ironically -- the same age Barry Sanders walked away at).

The guy is a freak of nature and his own teammates even say he is one of the hardest working guys on the team, so being in shape isn't going to be an issue. Will he lose a step as he gets older? I'm sure. But even running a 4.5, instead of a 4.3 isn't going to help a CB when a guy is the size of Calvin.

It isn't as if a WR is a RB, where they are getting hit 3-400 times a year and their bodies break down. Hell -- Anquan Boldin has averaged almost 1100 yards a season from the age of 32-34. Andre Johnson had over 300 catches and over 4000 yards from ages of 31-33 (and the last couple seasons -- he has had complete trash throwing him the ball).

So why is it that Calvin is being written off by some? If it is cap related -- I could understand. But the posts being put up are talking as if he is going to be an average WR in a year or two.

I'm not in this camp thinking we should get rid of the best WR EVER, but I do think he's a little injury prone and that his body is going to betray him sooner rather than later. Just a hunch.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not in this camp thinking we should get rid of the best WR EVER, but I do think he's a little injury prone and that his body is going to betray him sooner rather than later. Just a hunch.
He has taken so many huge hits over the years. One of the things that has made him great is his size. That could be the same thing that shortens his career. That kind of money is crazy for anything but a QB IMO.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has taken so many huge hits over the years. One of the things that has made him great is his size. That could be the same thing that shortens his career. That kind of money is crazy for anything but a QB IMO.

Sad, but true. Well said.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dolphins seem to like Future HOFers. Maybe we could get more than a comp pick this time around?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd say it's crazy for QBs too. Hopefully he'll be convinced to take a pay cut in the near future. Not a restructure where his money fucks up the cap later but an actual pay cut.