• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: WFY vs the 19-0 preseason dominant ravens

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty crappy showing but at the same time Washington played mostly guys that won't even be on the team Tuesday
It was bad. We have to realize that Baltimore wanted the preseason record of 20 straight wins :crazy: while the WTF was playing 2nd, 3rd and later string players. The only two players that stood out to me where Bada and AGG .... oh, and of course Tress Way. I think one thing I took out of this was how players took bad angles and let so many plays get outside of them and how open receivers for Baltimore were. I know they were playing vanilla but damn!!

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was bad. We have to realize that Baltimore wanted the preseason record of 20 straight wins :crazy: while the WTF was playing 2nd, 3rd and later string players. The only two players that stood out to me where Bada and AGG .... oh, and of course Tress Way. I think one thing I took out of this was how players took bad angles and let so many plays get outside of them and how open receivers for Baltimore were. I know they were playing vanilla but damn!!
Yeah, you could tell they wanted the 20th for sure. Smoot said on the radio harbaugh was playing it like week 10 of the regular season. I didn’t get to watch. Just listened on the radio and saw highlights. LJ might ought to be worried about Huntley

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would add milne ,

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm working with the current theme which tells me that this team will be heavily reliant on their defense. OK, that's fine, but at some point, there's going to be a need for some sort of offensive showing that produces TD's or at worse sustained drives that allows this defense to rest. The biggest takeaway from this preseason is the comparative lack of offensive spark through 3 games. What does this tell me? Well, when asked about Scott Turner's offense Ryan Fitzpatrick said... "It's a little bit different than a lot of what I've done, especially recently." Recently?? as in, his last three years that everyone seems intrigued with, is he talking about those recent times?

To me, Scott Turner is already on the hottest seat just based on the eye test. To be certain, the preseason is often displays of "vanilla" sets and a team's ability to execute in that environment.

Are you impressed? I'm not!

Factor and note that their starters didn't get a lot of playing time this preseason and that leads you towards watching fundamentals and situational football.

Impressed yet? I'm not!

Not getting the benefit that comes with watching the first teamers working together we have to rely upon what Turner is saying about meshing his offensive philosophy with the players that he has. Here's what he said about putting together his offense with what Fitz brings to the team...

"Ryan obviously is a very smart player and has a lot of experience," said Washington offensive coordinator Scott Turner when asked about his quarterback's influence on the offense this year. "...Some stuff he's done doesn't necessarily fit us, but it's been a work in progress. And when you've got a guy with that much experience, you listen to him. It's a different dynamic than maybe some other situations."

There's trouble brewing on the WFT and right now at its root there's Scott Turner and the players that's been provided for him. Regardless, he'll take the brunt of the blame if/when things go south.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm working with the current theme which tells me that this team will be heavily reliant on their defense. OK, that's fine, but at some point, there's going to be a need for some sort of offensive showing that produces TD's or at worse sustained drives that allows this defense to rest. The biggest takeaway from this preseason is the comparative lack of offensive spark through 3 games. What does this tell me? Well, when asked about Scott Turner's offense Ryan Fitzpatrick said... "It's a little bit different than a lot of what I've done, especially recently." Recently?? as in, his last three years that everyone seems intrigued with, is he talking about those recent times?

To me, Scott Turner is already on the hottest seat just based on the eye test. To be certain, the preseason is often displays of "vanilla" sets and a team's ability to execute in that environment.

Are you impressed? I'm not!

Factor and note that their starters didn't get a lot of playing time this preseason and that leads you towards watching fundamentals and situational football.

Impressed yet? I'm not!

Not getting the benefit that comes with watching the first teamers working together we have to rely upon what Turner is saying about meshing his offensive philosophy with the players that he has. Here's what he said about putting together his offense with what Fitz brings to the team...

"Ryan obviously is a very smart player and has a lot of experience," said Washington offensive coordinator Scott Turner when asked about his quarterback's influence on the offense this year. "...Some stuff he's done doesn't necessarily fit us, but it's been a work in progress. And when you've got a guy with that much experience, you listen to him. It's a different dynamic than maybe some other situations."

There's trouble brewing on the WFT and right now at its root there's Scott Turner and the players that's been provided for him. Regardless, he'll take the brunt of the blame if/when things go south.
You could be very right , but I won’t draw any conclusions just yet .

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be very right , but I won’t draw any conclusions just yet .
I absolutely hope that I'm dead wrong, but as of this moment there's nothing that I've seen that gives me reason to see the offensive side as good enough. Considering the defense, a offense averaging roughly 20 points per game, is really all that they have to be, so let me ask, you and the board at large...What are your impressions of our offense going into this season? (I thought about polling this)

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might be a good idea to hold analysis until they start playing real games with real game plans etc. etc. Clearly this team has a lot of new parts on offense. Of course I would like to see more and of course I would like to see more scoring but Fitz is getting the ball downfield .... something that happened very little last year.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might be a good idea to hold analysis until they start playing real games with real game plans etc. etc. Clearly this team has a lot of new parts on offense. Of course I would like to see more and of course I would like to see more scoring but Fitz is getting the ball downfield .... something that happened very little last year.
yep with everyone on the field on offense teams won't be able to load the box or they get killed over the top I think Gibson has a huge year

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a board that continually debates who "should" come and go, be drafted, undrafted, fired, predicts upcoming seasonal records, playoff chances and so many other things before they happen, we want to hold offensive analysis until the real games are played? Really?? How come there's the distinction in predicting a top of the line defense and whatever this offense portends to be? For all that's known, the offense could be the strongest part of the team, but that's not why there's this reluctance, is it?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep with everyone on the field on offense teams won't be able to load the box or they get killed over the top I think Gibson has a huge year
What are you expecting in the way of stats for Gibson? Yards & catches?

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a board that continually debates who "should" come and go, be drafted, undrafted, fired, predicts upcoming seasonal records, playoff chances and so many other things before they happen, we want to hold offensive analysis until the real games are played? Really?? How come there's the distinction in predicting a top of the line defense and whatever this offense portends to be? For all that's known, the offense could be the strongest part of the team, but that's not why there's this reluctance, is it?
I can't speak for everyone but the offense has some new parts. The core defense is the same and was good last year not great. I think the perception is that the defense under year 2 of JDR takes a huge leap forward with continuity.

Its a new year. who knows how both sides of the ball work out but the consensus in media and a majority on this board seems to say our defense is going to be great this year. For all I know the defense buys into their own hype and takes a step back.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Another" new QB, new WR's and new offensive linemen, same Turner. I see our offense improving slightly over last year because the QB play cannot be as bad as it was last year, right? I see most games where the offense struggles and the defense is competitive and we are in close games. There will be weeks where the defense struggles and we get beat badly. There will be a game or two we win that we should not due to one side of the ball making a huge play but in general, the offense will struggle and the defense must carry us. That is what the preseason has shown in its watered down version of 3 games.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we score 24 PPG, we will win 12 or more.
I like your optimism, 24’s kind of low for the NFL these days If I remember correctly

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for everyone but the offense has some new parts. The core defense is the same and was good last year not great. I think the perception is that the defense under year 2 of JDR takes a huge leap forward with continuity.

Its a new year. who knows how both sides of the ball work out but the consensus in media and a majority on this board seems to say our defense is going to be great this year. For all I know the defense buys into their own hype and takes a step back.
I get it, honestly I do, and it's not good enough to use "the offense has some new parts" as reason not to make this year the exception over years of projecting what our offense will or won't do at the beginning of a given season. Sure there are "new" pieces, but isn't that true every year? Now if you want to single out Fitz as the "new" QB, then why didn't that apply during the 16 "new" QB changes in the last 10 years?

I also agree that it's a new year and no one knows for certain how either side of the ball will work out, but let's not make this harder than is should be! This is the time of year in which hope springs eternally, it's fun to be reasonable, and ofttimes excitedly, hopefully, extra, when posting on a community board about those things that a new season brings. That's the NFL community of fans that helps in making football the king of sports! I just don't understand what makes this year, on this particular subject, different than any other.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is but we gave up only 20.6 PPG last season and scored only 20.9.

I don’t expect the defense to get worse.
In agreement that the defense holds water at roughly 20 pts per game this season or slightly less. Can this offense really score 21 pts per game? I'm not convinced that could be accomplished at the moment after watching last season, this preseason, the additions and same coaching. I see something along the lines of 17 to possibly 20 pts per game which clearly lands us right about the middle of the pack which places us on last years success path imo.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Another" new QB, new WR's and new offensive linemen, same Turner. I see our offense improving slightly over last year because the QB play cannot be as bad as it was last year, right? I see most games where the offense struggles and the defense is competitive and we are in close games. There will be weeks where the defense struggles and we get beat badly. There will be a game or two we win that we should not due to one side of the ball making a huge play but in general, the offense will struggle and the defense must carry us. That is what the preseason has shown in its watered down version of 3 games.
I agree!
For all of the changes, Turner is the key component to this offense based upon what he has to work with. We have zero ideas how his offense works with a "slinger" like Fitz at QB. We do know that the offense worked best with Alex Smith doing his CDC routine. Can he get Fitz to do that? Will he design his offense to fit what Fitz does best? How about some combination of the two? Whatever he does, it has to work more than it did last year just to give rest to the defense. If we are to rely on the same defense, then the offense has to be better than it was in producing the 7-9 2020 outcome. Here's a look back...

1630356288677.png

1630356313417.png

1630356365082.png1630356386078.png

1630356425273.png 1630356454600.png

Last edited:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the D can turn over the ball a little more than last year than 21-24 is possible.