• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 9 @ Ravens

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay Steeler Nation, the boys have played 7 games, we've seen a very mixed bag...zero close games, they have either won big, or loss big...okay, the MIA game was not really a big loss until the late TD, but still, they stunk in that game on DEF.

Coming off the much needed bye, hopefully they have discovered who they are on DEF. While they are still solid (10th) scoring DEF, they have been porous against the run. I expect them to be more aggressive in the front 7 and taking more risks to get the QB on the ground.

Health

I'll start with the main man, Ben. He is taking some 1st team reps, but not all. Both Landry and Mett have shared some 1st team practice snaps. I think most of us feel Ben will play in this game. Heyward, I have not gotten word on his practice status, but it has long been rumored he would be back for week 9...I have not heard anything to the contrary so I expect the DEF captain to play Sunday. Coates...sounds like he's ready to go. Ladarius Green...yes, the FA pick up TE...he's been practicing all week. Monday was his 1st practice n pads...technically still on the PUP list...only because this game is so physical it would be like going from a preseason intensity to playoff intenisty...I'm going to lean toward him debuting at home in the DAL gm next week, but maybe they unleash him this week. Wallace...I can see him going on IR to make room for Green. Dupree, I haven't heard a thing, maybe @FaCe-LeE-uS will know more about his status...clearly he won't play in this game but in general for the stretch run...they need another active body for certain. Gilbert...much like Heyward, week 9 has been the targeted return. I expect him to start. D. Williams...nothing definitive yet, but I expect him to be ready and the same with Wheaton and S. Thomas.

This game

The Ravens are also coming off their bye week and getting some injured people ready for this week as well. IMO this is not the most talented Ravens team the Steelers will face. They have lost a ton of people to IR. But, as evidenced by a sweep LY and playoff loss to them the Ravens game plan for the Steelers better than any other team and they truly respect this hard hitting rivalry.

Outcome

The Ravens have lost 4 straight, the Steelers have lost 2 straight so both teams will be anxious to get back on the winning track. I really think the Steelers are the more talented team. Their interior DL guys are still top shelf. Jerrigan is settling into a solid player. The Gilbert vs Dumervil matchup should start to tilt in Gilbert's favor. Suggs does have 5 sacks, but is not the same player anymore, he's playing injured, maybe AVill holds his own ...If Ben is good to go, I think PIT will score 24 or more and win this game...I'm going 24-20 Steelers.

Edited to note...Dumervil is reported out for this game.

What say you?

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dupree... From what I've been hearing/reading he has been medically cleared and is working with the conditioning coaches to get himself into playing shape. Like ATL said, he won't be ready this week, but numerous sources are saying he is targeting a return to the practice field next week before the Cowboys game.

Side note... The IR recall situation is worthy of rehashing. I think its obvious that Dupree is the candidate, but its sad to think that Golson's year is toast again. If you recall back in August he was hoping for a return in November... Well here we are in Nov, and nothing new has been reported on him. Almost as if the team has already made the decision to designate Dupree.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense... Not expecting fireworks this week, even if Ben plays. The Ravens defense has been playing well, and I expect that to continue. Offense will have to be patient and keep churning out the difficult yards. Take what the D gives. O-line is finally back to full health, so I think they will be the driving force of how well this offense performs (I know that's obvious lol). Bell will have his hands full with Mosley. Pretty excited to watch that matchup. Not sure whether we will see Green's debut or not, but I think the offense is in good hands with or without him. I pray that Ben is healthy though. I'm not confident that Landry can handle the pressure of this rivalry.

Defense... I'm expecting a good rebound performance. Thankfully the D is pretty much back to full health (minus Dupree). Heyward should have his troops ready this week. Only question is, will Butler deploy the same lame-duck schemes or will he take the kid-gloves off & dial up the pressure? My guess is the latter. Judging by Tomlin's comments about acknowledging the pass rush as a huge issue, I think the coaches are going to (finally) rectify that problem or at least die trying. With Shazier & Heyward back, the run D should be stout.

I'm predicting a tightly contested matchup this week... Every FG will matter immensely as it will likely come down to the final drive. Gotta hand it to the Steelers as they are the more talented team, even if their consistency is a glaring issue. If the Steelers want to make a run at a 1st round bye, then they can ill-afford to lose this game. Even with a close score, I'm hoping the Steelers make a statement with this one...

Steelers 20 - Ravens 17

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dupree... From what I've been hearing/reading he has been medically cleared and is working with the conditioning coaches to get himself into playing shape. Like ATL said, he won't be ready this week, but numerous sources are saying he is targeting a return to the practice field next week before the Cowboys game.

Side note... The IR recall situation is worthy of rehashing. I think its obvious that Dupree is the candidate, but its sad to think that Golson's year is toast again. If you recall back in August he was hoping for a return in November... Well here we are in Nov, and nothing new has been reported on him. Almost as if the team has already made the decision to designate Dupree.

IR Recall...I think each team gets two such designations...if so, they probably thought Dupree would give them the best chance to win games.

I'm really expecting a slot corner to be drafted next yr...we've heard nothing but good things about Golson but at somepoint he has to take the field in real games or they have to move on...and yr 3 is that time imo.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense... Not expecting fireworks this week, even if Ben plays. The Ravens defense has been playing well, and I expect that to continue. Offense will have to be patient and keep churning out the difficult yards. Take what the D gives. O-line is finally back to full health, so I think they will be the driving force of how well this offense performs (I know that's obvious lol). Bell will have his hands full with Mosley. Pretty excited to watch that matchup. Not sure whether we will see Green's debut or not, but I think the offense is in good hands with or without him. I pray that Ben is healthy though. I'm not confident that Landry can handle the pressure of this rivalry.

Defense... I'm expecting a good rebound performance. Thankfully the D is pretty much back to full health (minus Dupree). Heyward should have his troops ready this week. Only question is, will Butler deploy the same lame-duck schemes or will he take the kid-gloves off & dial up the pressure? My guess is the latter. Judging by Tomlin's comments about acknowledging the pass rush as a huge issue, I think the coaches are going to (finally) rectify that problem or at least die trying. With Shazier & Heyward back, the run D should be stout.

I'm predicting a tightly contested matchup this week... Every FG will matter immensely as it will likely come down to the final drive. Gotta hand it to the Steelers as they are the more talented team, even if their consistency is a glaring issue. If the Steelers want to make a run at a 1st round bye, then they can ill-afford to lose this game. Even with a close score, I'm hoping the Steelers make a statement with this one...

Steelers 20 - Ravens 17

The Ravens are the grittier team...they don't have the talent (playing talent) that PIT does on OFC, and the DEF has a boat load of guys missing due to injury as well, but they are rarely ever out of games.

Haley can't just roll out the tried and true formations and plays against this team...they know those plays and they're prepared to stop them...they need to mix up the formations, and snapcounts at the very least. Rogers should get a nice work load this week. If Grimble plays, he should get a fair amount of targets....stuff they haven't seen 5000 times on tape. I like Bell in the passing game Sunday.

Butler...I agree he has to go with some 5 and maybe even 6 man pass rushes...if he has to play some man behind it he should. Wallace, Pitta, and Smith are the most trusted targets...Aiken has talent though...needs to be watched. Wallace is running a more expanded route tree now, but they still like to go deep so Mitchell can't get sucked in to trying to level Smith.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say 17-14 Steelers. If Ben plays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good pick up Face!

Bud Dupree Hopeful To Play Next Week - Steelers Depot

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens:
61643895.jpg

Steelers:
image.jpg

These are simply images that can be interpreted by the viewer as they see fit. I make no predictions and am not responsible for any jinx this week as are the conditions of my exile.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens:
61643895.jpg

Steelers:
image.jpg

These are simply images that can be interpreted by the viewer as they see fit. I make no predictions and am not responsible for any jinx this week as are the conditions of my exile.

The most unsure I've felt about a game all season...the Ravens still define themselves by this game...I think somewhere along the way it became a little less than that for PIT and they have paid the price. If they can match their intensity they have the talent to win the game...we shall see.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens week is always a toss up. I think all big rivalries are like that. It almost doesn't matter who is better. it's always a roll of the dice. I would never be surprised with sweeping them, getting swept by them, winning in their house and losing in ours... whatever. They're always fun games though. Hopefully the better teams wins this week.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said too much. I'm going to go hang out in the Bengals forum.

They love my ass over there.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You hit the nail on the head defining rivalries. PIT needs to win one of these games soon or they will get tired of beating us!