• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 8, Los Angeles Rams @ Miami Dolphins, Sunday, 11/01/20, 10:00 AM PDT

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McVay’s lack of game adjustments is infuriating. He is Martz 2.0 without question.

pass happy as all get out, ignores the run for long stretches ( especially when the run game is actually working ), and running empty backfields that get the QB blown up ( just like Martz did ).

the league has figured McVay’s offense out, and the teams that are willing to change their defensive schemes when playing them win ( Bears, Pats, 9ers, Fins )
I’m starting to agree with the Martz 2.0. He’s way too arrogant I believe. If the Super Bowl loss where we couldn’t even score a touchdown didn’t humble him and last year where we didn’t even make the playoffs didn’t humble him, I don’t know what will. But he needs to realize that everyone in the NFL is there for a reason and none of them are going to bow to the boy wonder’s “genius”. They’ve gotten smart to him and I feel like they’re taking advantage of his stubbornness to not adapt to a game when his plan is clearly not working.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the MO for this team this year is win two, lose one. unless you are Goff who decided he wants to lose the last game before the bye week . Four major TOs, INTs, dropped balls by some of the receivers, and the STs, and the O-line taking the game off doesn't help matters much.

All that passing for Goff (61 times yesterday) is probably contract related. These pro football contracts are written on the basis of performances. So McVay has to call-up a bunch of passing attempts as we gave Goff a boatload of cash to throw the football no matter if he completes the pass or not. Goff looked like he went drinking the night before, again.

The upside is the Niners lost, the Cards are on a bye week, and we are just two games back of the SeaHags. I guess that is an upside.

No matter though, these collective bunch of dumbasses do not know how to consistently win in a disciplined fashion and methinks they never will with the coaches they now have. Bonemago is a joke as between McSnead and himself, they can't seem to find a kicker who can kick consistently at the pro level. Also, that performance yesterday was worthy of nothing, as I have witnessed better consistent coverage from junior high level players and kickers that can make FGs and PATs at a consistent level.

Of course, McVay uses the tried and true "that loss was on me" bullshit and "I've got to do a better job with this team" drivel. What I see is a so-called "genius" who is obsessed with his street cred and, although he'll never admit it, a coach in-over-his-head and on the road to burn-out. Honestly, after the game news conference, McVay looked exhausted and ready to quit. Goff is simply a dunderhead and does what he is told and apparently doesn't give a rats ass about much else other than getting paid.

Funny thing about McVay though. He gets so amped-up with gameday, that he loses his perspective as a HC and a bunch of other important things like proper team preparations and game plan derivations that the on-the-field product looks ridiculous at times. He seems to have has lost his way, albeit nobody knows what that is. When your offense is just passing all day (61times), nobody in your run game has over 50 yards rushing, and you suddenly have amnesia about that same run game that was rated very highly in the league, you look so damn stupid that it is laughable.

So, I think the team (except for the defense under a young, so-called defensive genius) went to Miami yesterday and basically went through the motions. McVay has been telling us for months now, that they know what the fixables are yet he continues to have games like these.

I think McVay has caught Hollowood fever and doesn't learn from any of his mistakes but goes balls-out with his addiction which is pass the damn football just like Mad Mike Martz use to with this ridiculous franchise.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the MO for this team this year is win two, lose one. unless you are Goff who decided he wants to lose the last game before the bye week . Four major TOs, INTs, dropped balls by some of the receivers, and the STs, and the O-line taking the game off doesn't help matters much.

All that passing for Goff (61 times yesterday) is probably contract related. These pro football contracts are written on the basis of performances. So McVay has to call-up a bunch of passing attempts as we gave Goff a boatload of cash to throw the football no matter if he completes the pass or not. Goff looked like he went drinking the night before, again.

The upside is the Niners lost, the Cards are on a bye week, and we are just two games back of the SeaHags. I guess that is an upside.

No matter though, these collective bunch of dumbasses do not know how to consistently win in a disciplined fashion and methinks they never will with the coaches they now have. Bonemago is a joke as between McSnead and himself, they can't seem to find a kicker who can kick consistently at the pro level. Also, that performance yesterday was worthy of nothing, as I have witnessed better consistent coverage from junior high level players and kickers that can make FGs and PATs at a consistent level.

Of course, McVay uses the tried and true "that loss was on me" bullshit and "I've got to do a better job with this team" drivel. What I see is a so-called "genius" who is obsessed with his street cred and, although he'll never admit it, a coach in-over-his-head and on the road to burn-out. Honestly, after the game news conference, McVay looked exhausted and ready to quit. Goff is simply a dunderhead and does what he is told and apparently doesn't give a rats ass about much else other than getting paid.

Funny thing about McVay though. He gets so amped-up with gameday, that he loses his perspective as a HC and a bunch of other important things like proper team preparations and game plan derivations that the on-the-field product looks ridiculous at times. He seems to have has lost his way, albeit nobody knows what that is. When your offense is just passing all day (61times), nobody in your run game has over 50 yards rushing, and you suddenly have amnesia about that same run game that was rated very highly in the league, you look so damn stupid that it is laughable.

So, I think the team (except for the defense under a young, so-called defensive genius) went to Miami yesterday and basically went through the motions. McVay has been telling us for months now, that they know what the fixables are yet he continues to have games like these.

I think McVay has caught Hollowood fever and doesn't learn from any of his mistakes but goes balls-out with his addiction which is pass the damn football just like Mad Mike Martz use to with this ridiculous franchise.
All that passing was the result of being down multiple touchdowns that were turnover/special teams gifts.

IMO, the loss WAS at least partially on McVay. He continued to call plays with an empty backfield, only to get Goff continually rushed and hit with zero blitzes each time. Goff tried his best (perhaps incorrectly) to stand in and make the throws instead of taking sacks and the result was a rash of turnovers. Remember, Miami's head coach was on the Patriots team that recently shut down the Rams in the Super Bowl. He had the recipe. The Rams adjusted, but far too late and still couldn't finish off their drives, as they were running out of time and had to abandon the running game largely.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m starting to agree with the Martz 2.0. He’s way too arrogant I believe. If the Super Bowl loss where we couldn’t even score a touchdown didn’t humble him and last year where we didn’t even make the playoffs didn’t humble him, I don’t know what will. But he needs to realize that everyone in the NFL is there for a reason and none of them are going to bow to the boy wonder’s “genius”. They’ve gotten smart to him and I feel like they’re taking advantage of his stubbornness to not adapt to a game when his plan is clearly not working.

No coincidence that current Dolphins head coach Flores was the de facto defensive coordinator for the Patriots in that Super Bowl.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dominating top and holding them to around 150 yards or so the whole game should be a recipe for an easy win. But this so called boy genius refuses to adapt to the games and continues to try to force his way to work when it obviously doesn’t. And Goff is just a middle of the road quarterback that’s paid like a top quarterback. Sure, he can have good games but there’s also way too many games where you wonder how in the hell he made it as far as he has.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
32 passes by halftime :L

“ Coming into Sunday’s matchup, the Dolphins ranked 30th in yards per carry allowed. They were giving up 5.0 yards per rush attempt, getting gashed regularly on the ground. The strength of Miami’s defense is in the secondary where Byron Jones and Xavien Howard comprise arguably the best cornerback tandem in the NFL, both ranking in the top 11 in completion percentage allowed.”

:L :L this is on Mcvay. He should know by now he’s not going to win strictly on Goffs arm. And should have been ready for the old Pats D game plan

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the loss is 95% on McVay, 5% on Goff.

mcVay’s game plan was awful, and he just does not make in game adjustments when he sees what the defenses scheme is. As I stated previously and Retro reiterated, he has become Martz 2.0- and if he doesn’t wise up, he will flame out just as quickly.

Miami had 2 weeks to prepare for the Rams offense and it showed. And McVay just kept on running with the same game plan instead of becoming a run heavy team to counter Miami’s plan.

hard to blame Goff for the fumbles when he is getting blown up in the backfield because McVay kept running empty sets. The 2 INT’s are on him, but again, he was probably a bit trigger happy due to the pressure he was facing.

Goff does what McVay asks. He is not a QB that reads the defense and will audible out of a bad play. We all know this.

I have a bad feeling we as Rams fans will see another version of what we saw with Martz and that downward spiral as defenses scheme to stop McVay’s offense and ge

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“ Coming into Sunday’s matchup, the Dolphins ranked 30th in yards per carry allowed. They were giving up 5.0 yards per rush attempt, getting gashed regularly on the ground. The strength of Miami’s defense is in the secondary where Byron Jones and Xavien Howard comprise arguably the best cornerback tandem in the NFL, both ranking in the top 11 in completion percentage allowed.”

:L :L this is on Mcvay. He should know by now he’s not going to win strictly on Goffs arm. And should have been ready for the old Pats D game plan
Goff threw two passes for every rushing attempt. He shouldn’t ever be throwing 60 passes a game. At minimum, there should’ve been at least 10 or so more times we ran the ball, if anything, just to keep them uncertain about what type of play we were going to run. When your offense becomes one dimensional, the chances of winning football games is very low.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff threw two passes for every rushing attempt. He shouldn’t ever be throwing 60 passes a game. At minimum, there should’ve been at least 10 or so more times we ran the ball, if anything, just to keep them uncertain about what type of play we were going to run. When your offense becomes one dimensional, the chances of winning football games is very low.
Unless you have Mahomes at QB.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How does McVay not know this and formulate a game plan around that information?

everyone knows Miami’s strength is in their secondary, and yet he chose to run with a passing game plan instead of a run heavy one.

that is the definition of arrogance/ stupidity. Definitely not the definition of genius.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I re-watched the first quarter, we had a Dolphins TO that led to our first score. Then the D stopped the rook and they punted the ball that was downed on our five. We had a pretty good mix of runs by Henderson and Brown and passes by Goff to Cupp and Woods starting that drive. It was the INT to Christian Walker who was standing right next to Cupp and with Goff under pressure, Goff threw the INT.

From that point on, McVay went into Martz Pass Mode and abandoned the run nearly exclusively for the pass. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO GENIUS BOY THAT LED HIM INTO THAT DEATH SPIRAL? We never recovered after that first INT and the Phins were giving-up huge run yardage. I just don't get how McVay just goes off into some kind of mental delusionary state thinking the pass is going to bring us back. Genius boy just went stupid!!

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I re-watched the first quarter, we had a Dolphins TO that led to our first score. Then the D stopped the rook and they punted the ball that was downed on our five. We had a pretty good mix of runs by Henderson and Brown and passes by Goff to Cupp and Woods starting that drive. It was the INT to Christian Walker who was standing right next to Cupp and with Goff under pressure, Goff threw the INT.

From that point on, McVay went into Martz Pass Mode and abandoned the run nearly exclusively for the pass. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO GENIUS BOY THAT LED HIM INTO THAT DEATH SPIRAL? We never recovered after that first INT and the Phins were giving-up huge run yardage. I just don't get how McVay just goes off into some kind of mental delusionary state thinking the pass is going to bring us back. Genius boy just went stupid!!

It was painful to see McVay continue to call empty backfield sets, which was an automatic trigger for the Dolphins defense to zero blitz (man to man coverage, bring everyone else). He finally wised up in the 3rd quarter, but the Rams would either find a way to kill their drives or the Dolphins defense would stiffen. Goff needs to learn when to punt on a play and dump the ball or take the sack; he seems to have regressed in that department; it would help offset some of McVay's stubbornness.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the commentators in the booth, one of whom was Kurt Warner have collectively stated that they were dumfounded and confused as to why the Rams, and specifically McVay, had no answer for the Dolphins blitzes and defenses they threw at Goff and McVay. The article quotes Warner's tweet that he was totally dumbfounded at McVay's lack of response to Dolphin defensive looks they have used possible before in the snooperbowl and the lack of making any necessary adjustments to those blitzes that forced Goff into a number of blunders. Brian Flores was the New England DC for the Snooperbowl two years removed and was the HC for the game against the Dolphins.

DaSilva (the Ramswire article author) goes on to write that Flores identified Goff as the Rams' offensive weakness especially when he gets pressure with multiple blitzes and DaSilva further asserts that McVay continued to ignore the Dolphins defensive looks by: "continually going with empty backfields and no extra blockers to help protect Goff." Kurt Warner also echoed these concerns in the included article tweet.

What is even more perplexing is McVay denying that he knew or recognized what the Dolphins were doing by hiding behind an excuse of the game plans for the snooperbowl and this Dolphins game were completing different. Well, what the hell does that have to do with anything, McVay. I mean the reasoning on this is so bizarre one has to wonder as Kurt did in his tweet. But here, read this bullshit for yourselves

"However, McVay was adamant Sunday that it was a completely different game plan than the one Los Angeles faced in the Super Bowl two seasons ago."

“No. No, this was not even close to the same game plan,” he said plainly. “They did activate some 6-1 fronts and had some different things where, you know, they’ve always been a part of their identity has been to zero-pressure. But they did a great job today and it didn’t have anything to do with the Super Bowl.”

Apparently this emerging behavior of McVay's paralysis during games and otherwise has many people concerned. McVay seems to get into a rigid mental funk where he doesn't see any of what is very clear to everyone else. If you are stunned by the first Goff INT and something isn't happening in the brains department, what the hell are you doing going mental freeze on us and calling the same offensive set that is resulting in TOs and getting your QB killed? Doesn't anybody see what is happening? Didn't one of the coaches in the booth upstairs relay to McVay that we are getting killed by blitzes and we should go to the Jumbo set? ANYBODY???!! WTH, McVay acknowledges he knew about the 6-1 fronts and the blitzes then denies he saw anything!! Genius boy my ass!!

We as fans are now seeing this same pattern with the kicking issue of settling on a kicker. The Rams have on their practice squad, Austin MacGinnis, a kicker that was in the camp kicking competition with Slo-boy and Hajrullahu. MacGinnis is on the PS yet McVay continues to use Forbath who has already proven he can't make FGs outside of 40 yards with game conditions. McVay was asked about this very issue and McVay began a mini-dissertation on the benefits of weighing things out in a fair fashion before he will make a decision. Meanwhile, the season is slipping away and we are already halfway through it.

Now, I don't remember who, on this board, first pointed out the mind freeze and blindness of McVay, might have been Jermaine, or UVA, or LTR or Rambunctious or BattleLyon, but somebody was/is astute enough to state way back then, what many people are now seeing as a major flaw with genius boy that is now affecting wins and losses of this Rams LA franchise. I

I sure as hell hope McVay takes a real long look in the mirror during the bye week and pull his head out of his ass because his predictability viewed by other coaches league-wide is becoming so prevalent that I wonder if we will see the post-season this year or in the next few years?

Last edited:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the commentators in the booth, one of whom was Kurt Warner have collectively stated that they were dumfounded and confused as to why the Rams, and specifically McVay, had no answer for the Dolphins blitzes and defenses they threw at Goff and McVay. The article quotes Warner's tweet that he was totally dumbfounded at McVay's lack of response to Dolphin defensive looks they have used possible before in the snooperbowl and the lack of making any necessary adjustments to those blitzes that forced Goff into a number of blunders. Brian Flores was the New England DC for the Snooperbowl two years removed and was the HC for the game against the Dolphins.

DaSilva (the Ramswire article author) goes on to write that Flores identified Goff as the Rams' offensive weakness especially when he gets pressure with multiple blitzes and DaSilva further asserts that McVay continued to ignore the Dolphins defensive looks by: "continually going with empty backfields and no extra blockers to help protect Goff." Kurt Warner also echoed these concerns in the included article tweet.

What is even more perplexing is McVay denying that he knew or recognized what the Dolphins were doing by hiding behind an excuse of the game plans for the snooperbowl and this Dolphins game were completing different. Well, what the hell does that have to do with anything, McVay. I mean the reasoning on this is so bizarre one has to wonder as Kurt did in his tweet. But here, read this bullshit for yourselves

"However, McVay was adamant Sunday that it was a completely different game plan than the one Los Angeles faced in the Super Bowl two seasons ago."

“No. No, this was not even close to the same game plan,” he said plainly. “They did activate some 6-1 fronts and had some different things where, you know, they’ve always been a part of their identity has been to zero-pressure. But they did a great job today and it didn’t have anything to do with the Super Bowl.”

Apparently this emerging behavior of McVay's paralysis during games and otherwise has many people concerned. McVay seems to get into a rigid mental funk where he doesn't see any of what is very clear to everyone else. If you are stunned by the first Goff INT and something isn't happening in the brains department, what the hell are you doing going mental freeze on us and calling the same offensive set that is resulting in TOs and getting your QB killed? Doesn't anybody see what is happening? Didn't one of the coaches in the booth upstairs relay to McVay that we are getting killed by blitzes and we should go to the Jumbo set? ANYBODY???!! WTH, McVay acknowledges he knew about the 6-1 fronts and the blitzes then denies he saw anything!! Genius boy my ass!!

We as fans are now seeing this same pattern with the kicking issue of settling on a kicker. The Rams have on their practice squad, Austin MacGinnis, a kicker that was in the camp kicking competition with Slo-boy and Hajrullahu. MacGinnis is on the PS yet McVay continues to use Forbath who has already proven he can't make FGs outside of 40 yards with game conditions. McVay was asked about this very issue and McVay began a mini-dissertation on the benefits of weighing things out in a fair fashion before he will make a decision. Meanwhile, the season is slipping away and we are already halfway through it.

Now, I don't remember who, on this board, first pointed out the mind freeze and blindness of McVay, might have been Jermaine, or UVA, or LTR or Rambunctious or BattleLyon, but somebody was/is astute enough to state way back then, what many people are now seeing as a major flaw with genius boy that is now affecting wins and losses of this Rams LA franchise. I

I sure as hell hope McVay takes a real long look in the mirror during the bye week and pull his head out of his ass because his predictability viewed by other coaches league-wide is becoming so prevalent that I wonder if we will see the post-season this year or in the next few years?

This is the problem with McVay.

he doesn’t admit anything except to say “I have to do better”, all while not changing anything.

I am more and more convinced he is arrogant and stubborn to his “genius” offense that he flat out refuses to adjust game to game based on opponent.

guys, we are looking at Martz 2.0

and just like Martz, he is going to get his QB killed or injured and flame out in the same way Martz did as every team will start to replicate the same defense employed by the Bears, Pats and Fins.

and in the process, waste the career of arguably the best DT this game has ever seen.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on ALR. The sad part of this egomanical trip this jackass is on is that AD will have played for a franchise that wasted his talents into oblivion. What is so disheartening is watching a guy who could easily correct this behavior and turn things around in a heartbeat but he refuses. And thinking back of all the defensive (and offensive) talent we wasted, it was only Dick Vermeil who got the best from everyone and he got us the only snooperbowl win in the modern to wit we are 1-3 to date.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’d like to take credit but don’t think it was me. I’ve just stated his arrogance about thinking he was buying the hype of being this boy genius when it’s obvious that he rarely will change things up when something’s not working.
But if Warner can see it, you know everyone else in the league has noticed as well. The question is, is will he continue the arrogance and refuse to adapt or will he actually learn to change things up when something isn’t working?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have heard this ad nauseum from genius boy. McVay once again is evaluating everyone else except himself as he promised. Doing better for the team is not evaluating everyone else per se, but admitting yo gets mind-freeze during a game and that he strongly believes his offense will prevail when it has been figured-out by a lot of coaches in the league and is getting its lunch handed to them.

On the contrary, the D is doing quite well at being number 1 for yards allowed and number 3 for giving up points while the offense is ranked 21st. So by logical extension, if this offense is your baby as you always claim, then the problem still has not been addressed even with the extra week. See for yourselves.

Last edited: