• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 5 is in the books ... what should the polls be?

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We hear a lot of people say that they shouldn't even have polls until after the 5th week of play. Other than the financial aspects of why they have preseason polls, I think that would be best. Never going to happen, but it would be best.

But, I am calling you out. If you posted anything along those lines, now is the time to tell us what your top 25 would be if this week would be the first polls of the year.

This isn't as easy as you would think ... my 13 year old college football avid fan son and I started talked through it on the way to Mass this morning. We kept catching ourselves relying on the current polls to justify our choices, which you wouldn't be able to do in a world with no polls until after week 5. We also have a "feel" that some teams are better than we think, but with the rotten schedules they played it is really hard to tell (example, is Baylor last year's West Virginia, etc.).

I don't have time to get mine up yet, but I will this week.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be clear, is this the 5th week this has been done?

That's not what I am saying. This poll would, presumably, have the pre-season poll bias in it.

What we heard over and over is that because the SEC gets preferential treatment in the preseason polls, subsequent polls are skewed.

I want people to post their polls for week 5 without thinking for a minute what the pre-season, or week 1 - 4 polls were. Let's see if it is really that different.

To take a SEC team as an example where does USC end up? They beat UNC, but UNC got curb stomped by ECU this past weekend. Then USC barely beat UCF, and had to work to beat Vandy at home. They have a good loss to UGa (not because UGa is highly ranked ... remember this is the first ranking in our scenario) but because UGa is 3-1 against the toughest first 4 weeks of all teams). Would they really be ranked in the first poll in week 5?

If this is the same thing as what is up, delete my post.