• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 3 vs CHI Bears

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short week...no time for anymore dwelling on our failures to this point.

Da Bears are coming to town.

Keys to a win...the OL showed some improvement last week...Valesco looked pretty good @ C...another week of practice will only help. That effort needs to be at least as good this week going up against another strong DL.

Heath Miller is practicing fully this week...if there's no swelling, etc. there is a good chance he will play this week. A 60% healthy Miller is better than Paulson, and D. Johnson imo. Take it easy big fella, but it will be great to see Heath out there should that happen.

Wheaton has yet to play on OFC...maybe this is the week he sees some action...I hope so because Cotchery getting 9 or 10 targets a game is going nowhere.

DEF...I'm liking the rotation on the DL...keeping Brett fresher, and Heyward & Woods are bringing some energy. Wilson and Williams need to tackle better especially facing a good pass catching RB like Forte...Timmons is handling the calls so they can focus on their assignment...Cutler is a great QB if you let him sit in the pocket...LeBeau has to get him moving off his spot...a few sacks would be great.

I'm thinking PIT is not going 0-3...the OFC steps up with their best effort of the year, no turnovers and a 24-20 win.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything is possible, but of course being a Bears fan I always want them to win.

I just hope it is a good game for both teams with no injuries.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything is possible, but of course being a Bears fan I always want them to win.

I just hope it is a good game for both teams with no injuries.

Agreed...trust me, I'm more hopeful than confident at this point.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The potential for the playoffs imo hinge on this game...win and they will gain some confidence going into week 4 and I think will be .500 going into the bye and hopefully get Bell in the lineup.

If they lose it...obviously they will still be in it, but that a huge mental hurdle...I think it will be up and down all year.

This one is on the front 7...they have to win upfront and get pressure...the ILBs are playing rather clean (DL is doing a good job keeping OL off of them) so have to keep the play in front of them and make the tackles.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short week...no time for anymore dwelling on our failures to this point.

Da Bears are coming to town.

Keys to a win...the OL showed some improvement last week...Valesco looked pretty good @ C...another week of practice will only help. That effort needs to be at least as good this week going up against another strong DL.

Heath Miller is practicing fully this week...if there's no swelling, etc. there is a good chance he will play this week. A 60% healthy Miller is better than Paulson, and D. Johnson imo. Take it easy big fella, but it will be great to see Heath out there should that happen.

Wheaton has yet to play on OFC...maybe this is the week he sees some action...I hope so because Cotchery getting 9 or 10 targets a game is going nowhere.

DEF...I'm liking the rotation on the DL...keeping Brett fresher, and Heyward & Woods are bringing some energy. Wilson and Williams need to tackle better especially facing a good pass catching RB like Forte...Timmons is handling the calls so they can focus on their assignment...Cutler is a great QB if you let him sit in the pocket...LeBeau has to get him moving off his spot...a few sacks would be great.

I'm thinking PIT is not going 0-3...the OFC steps up with their best effort of the year, no turnovers and a 24-20 win.

Perfect assessment my friend. This is going to be a very crucial game for Pitt on both sides of the ball. But like you said, it has to start in the trenches. Valesco is going to hold down the interior, but Gilbert & Adams need to be on top of their game or this is going to be another Cincy showing. I bet Peppers was licking his lips when watching the game tape of what Johnson was able to do to our OT's.

I think Heath is going to see limited action. Like Tomlin said, they aren't expecting him to "come out of the phone booth with a cape on". (Another Tomlin quote for the ages). But regardless of how much action, it will be an improvement. I also think Paulson is going to get better so I'm not as worried.

From a few sources I read that Wheaton has been told he will be seeing targets this week. I'm hoping that they will be most, if not all, of Cotchery's targets. I expect to see a few rookie mistakes, but granted it will be his first targets of the regular season.

Agreed, the D-line is definitely benefiting from the rotation. McLendon has yet to wow me, but he is playing very solid upfront. I hope to see him improve, along with everyone else, going up against a "lesser" offensive line. I think the DEF will see it's sack numbers jump this game. Cutler is sort of known to be a sack magnet. But their new OC has improved his game, so not sure what to expect. As long as the offense can sustain drives, they will keep the defense more energized.

I agree that Pitt won't go 0-3. If they do, then they really need to turn the heat up on Haley. But I expect to see all around improvement on offense. That will ease up the load on the DEF and hopefully create more splash plays.

My prediction: PIT 30 - CHI 21

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perfect assessment my friend. This is going to be a very crucial game for Pitt on both sides of the ball. But like you said, it has to start in the trenches. Valesco is going to hold down the interior, but Gilbert & Adams need to be on top of their game or this is going to be another Cincy showing. I bet Peppers was licking his lips when watching the game tape of what Johnson was able to do to our OT's.

I think Heath is going to see limited action. Like Tomlin said, they aren't expecting him to "come out of the phone booth with a cape on". (Another Tomlin quote for the ages). But regardless of how much action, it will be an improvement. I also think Paulson is going to get better so I'm not as worried.

From a few sources I read that Wheaton has been told he will be seeing targets this week. I'm hoping that they will be most, if not all, of Cotchery's targets. I expect to see a few rookie mistakes, but granted it will be his first targets of the regular season.

Agreed, the D-line is definitely benefiting from the rotation. McLendon has yet to wow me, but he is playing very solid upfront. I hope to see him improve, along with everyone else, going up against a "lesser" offensive line. I think the DEF will see it's sack numbers jump this game. Cutler is sort of known to be a sack magnet. But their new OC has improved his game, so not sure what to expect. As long as the offense can sustain drives, they will keep the defense more energized.

I agree that Pitt won't go 0-3. If they do, then they really need to turn the heat up on Haley. But I expect to see all around improvement on offense. That will ease up the load on the DEF and hopefully create more splash plays.

Jay's been sacked 1 time this year. And on that play, had plenty of time to throw the ball away.
The magnet you refer to should have been directed at our old O-line. We've got 4 new faces there this year , 2 FAs & 2 Rooks ( and the rooks have caused less problems than the vets).
I love your D & coaching staff, but your O has got to get their act together. I really don't think that'll happen this week.
Haley seems to be bringing more dissension than productivety. Peppers & Melton on our end have been getting blasted for poor play ( though both were coming back from illness & injury). Pep in his last presser sounded pissed off ( unlike him). But I wouldn't want to be your LT this week.
I don't see your O putting up 30 points vs us. If we get 21, I think we win.
Just think it'll come down to STs & turn-overs.
Should be a hell of a game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

30 would be sweet...might need a short field or 2 for that, but I hope you're right.

My main concern is the OFC.

OL...Adams really hasn't played badly imo...Gilbert is struggling and could be causing DeCastro to think "help", moreso than his job. The CIN front 4 did get pressure of course, but Ben has to limit his extending the play, pumping it, etc. If the 1st read isn't there let it go and move to the next, you can't wait for these guys to uncover. I'm sure CHI saw what flooding the edge does with blitz has done so far to Gilbert...he's taking his focus off his man for the blitzer and his man is actually doing the damage.

Adams is going to struggle more against the smaller, quicker guy like a Dumerville or a Von Miller...I think he will do OK vs Peppers.

OFC overall...I think we'll see a much heavier dose of Felix Jones in this game with Will @ FB. I've heard the same about Wheaton...put him out there as the 3rd guy if nothing else to run some deep patterns and Ben needs to take a FEW (not just one) shots downfield to give Brown more room underneath. When Cotchery is the 3rd wheel, Sanders is running the deep pattern and just not getting open or doing much with it.

Paulson...yeah, play to his strengths...send him out in the pattern and target him more to build confidence because at least he can catch.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 would be sweet...might need a short field or 2 for that, but I hope you're right.

My main concern is the OFC.

OL...Adams really hasn't played badly imo...Gilbert is struggling and could be causing DeCastro to think "help", moreso than his job. The CIN front 4 did get pressure of course, but Ben has to limit his extending the play, pumping it, etc. If the 1st read isn't there let it go and move to the next, you can't wait for these guys to uncover. I'm sure CHI saw what flooding the edge does with blitz has done so far to Gilbert...he's taking his focus off his man for the blitzer and his man is actually doing the damage.

I remember seeing this happen last Monday and thinking,.. Where is that 2nd TE formation with Beachum that we heard so much about as an excuse for why they lost in Wk. 1 versus the Titans because Beachum had to move to center and it couldn't be used.

Against the bungles, it seemed like Haley was exclusively using that 3 WR set and making pass catching TE Paulson 'help' on the outside. That shit just isn't going to work, and it really makes me wonder what the hell Haley and Tomlin are thinking.

This Sunday is a make or break game for Haley, IMO. He has to put up or shut up. We've yet to see the OFC score a touchdown through two games that wasn't generated from the no-huddle. That's just inexcusable for an O-coordinator that has a QB like Ben leading it.

Hate to admit it, but if think we're looking at 0-3 tomorrow.

I'm going Chi 24 Pit 13

:L

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember seeing this happen last Monday and thinking,.. Where is that 2nd TE formation with Beachum that we heard so much about as an excuse for why they lost in Wk. 1 versus the Titans because Beachum had to move to center and it couldn't be used.

Against the bungles, it seemed like Haley was exclusively using that 3 WR set and making pass catching TE Paulson 'help' on the outside. That shit just isn't going to work, and it really makes me wonder what the hell Haley and Tomlin are thinking.

This Sunday is a make or break game for Haley, IMO. He has to put up or shut up. We've yet to see the OFC score a touchdown through two games that wasn't generated from the no-huddle. That's just inexcusable for an O-coordinator that has a QB like Ben leading it.

Hate to admit it, but if think we're looking at 0-3 tomorrow.

I'm going Chi 24 Pit 13

:L

I was thinking the same thing during the 2nd qtr. They made a huge deal over not being able to stick to their "game plan" because Beachum was forced to move inside. But now all the sudden he doesn't even see the field??? :wtf2:

If I was Tomlin, I'd give Haley 1 or 2 quarters to call plays and if he doesn't get anything going then I would put the offense in Ben's hands. It's very alarming that he has yet to score a touchdown under his own play calling. Hopefully we see another series with 3 running plays for 5 yards :L

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just hoping the offense looks better and this Steeler team competes.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just hoping the offense looks better and this Steeler team competes.

I'm sure it will. They at least took a "step" forward from week 1 to week 2. But that is mainly because Ben took over with no-huddle. But here's to wishful thinking! :suds:

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look for the Steeler defense to confuse Cutler, and hope to win on TOs, not impressed with the Steeler o-line or offense at this point in the season. Pitts defense is going to have to carry this team, until the offense can get it together.

in other words if i don't get a LOL @ Cutler moment for this game, i'm going to be upset.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look for the Steeler defense to confuse Cutler, and hope to win on TOs, not impressed with the Steeler o-line or offense at this point in the season. Pitts defense is going to have to carry this team, until the offense can get it together.

in other words if i don't get a LOL @ Cutler moment for this game, i'm going to be upset.

You, and the rest of the world man! The defense is definitely going to have to carry the load until the offense gets it figured out. I would be very disappointed if I didn't get one of those Cutler moments either... If all else fails, hopefully more smokinjaycutler.tumblr.com pictures get updated.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the fact, Haley should be gone. Why didn't he use Wheaton (spelling?). The Bears have a history of not being able to cover speed guys. Glad he didn't install him in your O . Except for that 1 check down pass.
I guess we all learn from our mistakes. I think Tomlin will realise he hired the wrong OC.
Love Big Ben, he can keep you in most games by himself.
Hope you guys fair well VS the rest of our division.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't work out at all... Haley's offense showed another "step" in the right direction, but still didn't get it done. Thanks in large to Ben's turnovers. I'm not going to beat a dead horse here since everyone on these boards watched the same game that I did, so no need to talk about what we already know. Something needs to be done about the OT positions. These guys just aren't going to cut it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the fact, Haley should be gone. Why didn't he use Wheaton (spelling?). The Bears have a history of not being able to cover speed guys. Glad he didn't install him in your O . Except for that 1 check down pass.
I guess we all learn from our mistakes. I think Tomlin will realise he hired the wrong OC.
Love Big Ben, he can keep you in most games by himself.
Hope you guys fair well VS the rest of our division.

Congrats on a great showing...you guys did what you're supposed to with 5 turnovers.

Really hard to question the OFC today...9 TOs in 3 games...we have bigger fish to fry.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't work out at all... Haley's offense showed another "step" in the right direction, but still didn't get it done. Thanks in large to Ben's turnovers. I'm not going to beat a dead horse here since everyone on these boards watched the same game that I did, so no need to talk about what we already know. Something needs to be done about the OT positions. These guys just aren't going to cut it.

OL...I've been saying I was going to give the OL 5 games, so I would stick with that...I see Beachum was put in @ LT so maybe Tomlin/Haley have seen enough already, but if you make the change I hope they stick with it...can't blame them for moving on Starks...right now neither OT looks like a keeper, but they need a lot more reps under fire.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL...I've been saying I was going to give the OL 5 games, so I would stick with that...I see Beachum was put in @ LT so maybe Tomlin/Haley have seen enough already, but if you make the change I hope they stick with it...can't blame them for moving on Starks...right now neither OT looks like a keeper, but they need a lot more reps under fire.

Beachum rotated in at both Tackle positions throughout the game. Clearly they know there is a major problem, but they just don't have the answer for it.