• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 3: Virginia Tech @ Pittsburgh (9/15/2012)

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is it just me, or is it about time Beamer decides if he wants to take the team to the next level, or to be a nice guy.

I like the family atmosphere as much as the next guy, but it seems that we are due another shakeup on the coaching staff. Why don't we have an offensive line? Other teams have them, why can't we have one?

There were some breakdowns on defense, but I think Bud Foster has earned his keep a time or two. The offense doesn't get that luxury.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me, or is it about time Beamer decides if he wants to take the team to the next level, or to be a nice guy.

I like the family atmosphere as much as the next guy, but it seems that we are due another shakeup on the coaching staff. Why don't we have an offensive line? Other teams have them, why can't we have one?

There were some breakdowns on defense, but I think Bud Foster has earned his keep a time or two. The offense doesn't get that luxury.
Because we're doing just well enough.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's going to take a 5 or 6 win year for Beamer to even consider firing Steinspring or Newsome. I would be willing to take that at this point. But Beamer is close enough to the end of his career, that I don't think he's willing to burn any bridges among friends. :L

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Because we're doing just well enough.

I don't think we are.

The Sugar Bowl was painful, mostly because VT outplayed Michigan and just didn't come away with a win.

This game, well, VT was beaten soundly by a team that lost to Youngstown State last week. It's inexcusable. It was as if everyone forgot what their jobs were. They trained so much for Georgia Tech that they have no concept that these other teams are different.

Part of it is that I'm incensed at this point.

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My few thoughts on the game...

- Why do we continue to defer to the 2nd half? If there ever was a game to put the offense on the field first and set the tone it is against a team that is reeling after two bad losses in a row it was this one. Put your foot on their throat from the beginning and make them think they are in for another beating. Instead they fly down the field in six plays and rode that momentum the entire first half.

- We have to vary our short yardage playcalling. I know the execution wasn't pretty, but maybe we open some holes ourselves by pitching the ball or running a naked bootleg.

- When the running game isn't working you have to use the passing game as the run game to keep yourselves out of long yardage 2nd and 3rd downs. I don't recall many (if any) short slants and I didn't see a single WR screen (which is mildly humorous in its own right).

- Why are we trying to block that 25 yard fg? We needed two touchdowns anyway and all that accomplished was more time off the clock and the dagger touchdown instead of giving us a shot to make the late game run down 14.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's going to take a 5 or 6 win year for Beamer to even consider firing Steinspring or Newsome. I would be willing to take that at this point. But Beamer is close enough to the end of his career, that I don't think he's willing to burn any bridges among friends. :L

I was just thinking that this might be the year that forces Beamer to shake things up. Not the quasi-shakeup with Shane and Cornell but the real deal that gets rid of the fat. "Nice Guy" Newsome and our hopeless OC combo.

I really don't feel so bad after this game. I've come a long way from 2 years ago after the Stanford beatdown which was the maddest I've ever been I think. I look at it this way...if we have such a bad year (5-6 losses) that Beamer makes changes, then it's a good year. If the O-line and team continue to perform this poorly for the rest of the year and Beamer DOESN'T fire people, then it's time to step back and not invest in the team so much. Because I'm not going to continue to have hope that trying the same thing over and over again with the same people is going to produce different results like Beamer does. There is no excuse for the O-line to look this bad. They are new but most of them have been in the program for 3-4 years already. There is either a problem with recognizing talent or developing it or both.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Beamer has to decide if he wants a national championship or not.

All the other teams aren't going to just let him have one because he's "loyal". He needs to put the best product and performance on the field. I'm guessing Bud Foster can manage that for the defense, and I sense a difference in special teams, but who's going to do that on offense?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just thinking that this might be the year that forces Beamer to shake things up. Not the quasi-shakeup with Shane and Cornell but the real deal that gets rid of the fat. "Nice Guy" Newsome and our hopeless OC combo.

I really don't feel so bad after this game. I've come a long way from 2 years ago after the Stanford beatdown which was the maddest I've ever been I think. I look at it this way...if we have such a bad year (5-6) losses that Beamer makes changes, then it's a good year. If the O-line and team continue to perform this poorly for the rest of the year and Beamer DOESN'T fire people, then it's time to step back and not invest in the team so much. Because I'm not going to continue to have hope that trying the same thing over and over again with the same people is going to produce different results like Beamer does. There is no excuse for the O-line to look this bad. They are new but most of them have been in the program for 3-4 years already. There is either a problem with recognizing talent or developing it or both.

In theory, I agree with all this, but lets be real. It's no secret to anyone that our OL play has been holding us back for a long time. It's also no secret where the problems lie when we have a top 10 defense and an offense ranked in the 100's. That hasn't made a difference in the past, so no reason to think it will now. Beamer isn't going to be the guy to make an OC or OL coaching change, and it's pretty much that simple

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is no excuse for the O-line to look this bad. They are new but most of them have been in the program for 3-4 years already. There is either a problem with recognizing talent or developing it or both.

I agree. This isn't a new problem, but the team is high profile enough that this is a problem that can be solved.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I was there and I have to be honest:

1. Our offense was horrendous
2. Our defense may have been worth.
3. Both lines got zero push.
4. We got totally out-coached. I called Pitts plays for them when I saw their alignment.

5. We lost for one major reason, the players and coaches appeared to mail this one in. Pitt came out of the tunnel on fire. We jogged out. We forgot that regardless of records the other team is a BCS conference team that is trying to win as well.

6. We were two big plays from losing 35-3. We got our asses kicked.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In theory, I agree with all this, but lets be real. It's no secret to anyone that our OL play has been holding us back for a long time. It's also no secret where the problems lie when we have a top 10 defense and an offense ranked in the 100's. That hasn't made a difference in the past, so no reason to think it will now. Beamer isn't going to be the guy to make an OC or OL coaching change, and it's pretty much that simple

Well like I said if he doesn't then I'm changing my expectations and emotional/time involvement considerably and I'd recommend the same to anyone else. Newsome has been at VT a long time and we've seen what kind of product he puts on the field. Stinespring may be in over his head but Newsome sure makes things tougher. If VT doesn't have a stud RB and super elusive QB then you really notice how bad the OL is. Freak athletes have been saving our offense forever

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The success we have had is also a double edged sword. The Pitt fans were apoplectic about that win. We have become one of THOSE teams that makes or breaks a bad team's season.

It is great to get that type of respect but it is terrible to lose when you have it.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So, I was there and I have to be honest:

1. Our offense was horrendous
2. Our defense may have been worth.
3. Both lines got zero push.
4. We got totally out-coached. I called Pitts plays for them when I saw their alignment.

5. We lost for one major reason, the players and coaches appeared to mail this one in. Pitt came out of the tunnel on fire. We jogged out. We forgot that regardless of records the other team is a BCS conference team that is trying to win as well.

6. We were two big plays from losing 35-3. We got our asses kicked.

I agree. Shell looked good didn't he? He had holes to run through but still he did a lot with them

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Shell looked good didn't he? He had holes to run through but still he did a lot with them

Shell and Graham both had already gained 4 yards before they got to the line. Meanwhile, our guys were still 2 yards behind the line at that point. It was astounding how much both of our lines got blown up.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yep and it started early with the D-line so it sure wasn't fatigue