• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 3 Fred Johnson Nonparticipation Trophy

Which Bengal will embarass himself, his team, his state, and his country against the Eagles?

• Fred Johnson

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A.J. Green

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Ross

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Bobby Hart

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Jessie Bates

• Other (Specify in comments)

• Total voters

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams definitely struggled.

But the award will always - and I do mean always - belong to Bobby Hart. Even when he's not whiffing right away - there is no other OL I see standing around blocking no one more often than Hart. Look for him after every play - and the majority of the time he's standing there all by himself. That's really hard to do as an OL.

almost guarantees he won't be injured.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take this for what's its worth, because I know nothing about offensive line play..... .But, I really think Williams will look better when the guard play gets cleaned up. I noticed on several plays that Williams has 'given up,' you could probably attribute it to Burrow being too far back in the pocket for too long - That is, he isn't stepping up in the pocket. He's not ABLE to step up in the pocket because it is being consistently pushed back to his face. Anyway, I think Williams is well trained to push the speed rushers up field.... He's never going to overpower anyone, but was thought to be technically sound coming into the league. I think he's doing the right thing but being made to look bad because the other guys suck.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take this for what's its worth, because I know nothing about offensive line play..... .But, I really think Williams will look better when the guard play gets cleaned up. I noticed on several plays that Williams has 'given up,' you could probably attribute it to Burrow being too far back in the pocket for too long - That is, he isn't stepping up in the pocket. He's not ABLE to step up in the pocket because it is being consistently pushed back to his face. Anyway, I think Williams is well trained to push the speed rushers up field.... He's never going to overpower anyone, but was thought to be technically sound coming into the league. I think he's doing the right thing but being made to look bad because the other guys suck.
I've noticed this as well. In fact, one of the sacks that Price gave up was actually a fault of Hart because he got beat so bad around the edge, that Burrow had to step up and couldn't slide. Don't get me wrong, Price got beat, too - but not nearly as bad as the sack would have indicated had Hart simply not whiffed.

Let's also not forget - this kid is still basically a rookie, and really doesn't have a veteran guy he can learn something from.

The fact that Taylor and the OL coach have stuck up for Hart I guess shouldn't be surprising - you don't bash a guy publicly - but if they are not having serious internal discussions about him, then they should both be canned immediately.

MaximumSam

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is Hart was trash last year and they looked at that and said hey, let's lock this guy up.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is Hart was trash last year and they looked at that and said hey, let's lock this guy up.
It's amazing how often this organization doubles down on players they know are not good hoping they get lucky.

Did the exact same thing with Ced and Fisher - watching them for 2+ years in practice knowing they were not good enough to start - and still let the OL disintegrate by allowing the guys they had to walk and replacing them with these two.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should let AJ walk after this year also. He is a good player, but he is older and slower and we don't need to spend 20 million on him. I think we should keep Hopkins at C, move Jonah to RT where he is not the blindside, let Fred man LT for right now, just to see how things go until the end of the year.

Then if Fred is not panning out like the end of last year, you take AJ's money, use it on a LT of the future if one becomes available in FA, and you draft the best G in the country with your 1st round pick and put him at RG. I think Jordan will be okay at LG.

Offensive line fixed pretty quick and within budget.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is the o-line looks good in practice because they go against the d-line which is not as good as everyone around here seems to think they are.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing how often this organization doubles down on players they know are not good hoping they get lucky.

Did the exact same thing with Ced and Fisher - watching them for 2+ years in practice knowing they were not good enough to start - and still let the OL disintegrate by allowing the guys they had to walk and replacing them with these two.

6438A6E5-3725-4020-BF30-36085CEB3618.jpeg
It’s the the culture of this organization. Been that way for 30 years. Not changing anytime soon.

Just wait. We’ll go 3-12-1 and Burrow will get sacked 80 times. Zac and the whole staff will return in 2021. They’ll tell us THIS is the year the OL will put it together.

Last edited: