• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 2, I gotta complain about something.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah , Mel Tucker again. I Know the D only gave up 16 points. But to let Ponder do it ? The pass D has been awful.

I don't blame Bushrod for Jay's fumble. But watching the game a 2nd time, noticed both he & Forte just watching after they just blew their assignment. Actually looked like both were moving away after the fact. Just sayin, if they want to protect their QB , you'd think they'd follow the play. And perhaps stop a TD or even recover the ball.

And I'm going to agree w/ a few posters here. Bostic needs to see some playing time. I was all for the vet . But he hasn't made 1 impact play. Time for the rook.

On a side note I think James Anderson is playing better than expected. He's great in coverage. And has played well overall.
Also thought the tackling was better this week. Though AP broke 3 on his 1 long run.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost forgot about the 1rst & goal @ the 1. WTF . Running the ball got you there. T-man's first bad call.
But he did win his first challenge, Though it didn't do any good.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get how you can blame the Bears poor pass defense on Tucker.

Tucker's not the one playing defensive line and getting ZERO pressure on the QB. I'm not saying I'm CRAZY about Tucker. It's too early into his stint here to have an opinion on him.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost forgot about the 1rst & goal @ the 1. WTF . Running the ball got you there. T-man's first bad call.
But he did win his first challenge, Though it didn't do any good.

I don't think it was a bad call. It's only called a bad call because it didn't work out. That's the way things work.

I'm listening to the Jay Cutler show as I'm writing this, with Martellus Bennett as a special guest. They both said that they loved the call when it came in, and they would like to run it again if they had the chance. Apparently, they saw something on film that they knew they could exploit at the goal line.

The ball got tipped at the line of scrimmage. If not, it was a touchdown.

There were multiple other calls I thought were worse. For instance, when they tried to run the reverse to Alshon again, using IDENTICALLY the same play to the same side. Also, they ran a screen play to (Earl Bennett, I think it was) on something like a 3rd and 9. Hated that call.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it was a bad call. It's only called a bad call because it didn't work out. That's the way things work.

I'm listening to the Jay Cutler show as I'm writing this, with Martellus Bennett as a special guest. They both said that they loved the call when it came in, and they would like to run it again if they had the chance. Apparently, they saw something on film that they knew they could exploit at the goal line.

The ball got tipped at the line of scrimmage. If not, it was a touchdown.

There were multiple other calls I thought were worse. For instance, when they tried to run the reverse to Alshon again, using IDENTICALLY the same play to the same side. Also, they ran a screen play to (Earl Bennett, I think it was) on something like a 3rd and 9. Hated that call.

Rich, Im sure you noticed they brought in the heavy load- both Bush and Fiametta were brought in on that play to decoy. Absolutely a designed pass play. While I will remain curious on a 1st and goal pass play, youre spot on- if it works we arent dedicating bandwidth to this.

Im sure many are blaming Cutler on the Smith interception, but after seeing it a few times, it really wasnt that bad of a throw- it was single high coverage, and Smith came in from the top to make the play. I noticed Marshall didnt make an attempt to locate the ball. If he locates it, he may be able to make a play on it, or play DB and keep Smith from intercepting.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler had more than a few bad decisions. That interception if I remember it right, Smith made was a good play by smith, but there were two other defenders on Marshall too. Doesnt that mean another receiver or two had single coverage? The tipped interception, if hands are up Jay thinks he will miss them. Receivers should not have been trying to catch the ball in that case, they need to get to second down by knocking that ball to the turf.

Two plays, two Jay forces, changed the game from a cakewalk to an almost loss.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler had more than a few bad decisions. That interception if I remember it right, Smith made was a good play by smith, but there were two other defenders on Marshall too. Doesnt that mean another receiver or two had single coverage? The tipped interception, if hands are up Jay thinks he will miss them. Receivers should not have been trying to catch the ball in that case, they need to get to second down by knocking that ball to the turf.

Two plays, two Jay forces, changed the game from a cakewalk to an almost loss.

I dont recall that. IIRC, it was single high coverage- and Smith came in from the top to make the pick. So, as I remember there were 2 defenders( Smith one of them) in the area, but Im pretty sure Marshall wasnt doubled. At first glance it looked like a bad throw, but after watching it several times it wasnt the coverage thrown into that made it as bad on first look. IMO- it was Marshall not making any attempt to locate the ball.

As for the pass, I just dont like a toss to the middle of the field from the 1. Too compressed with hats and hands. If you have to throw it, spread it out, theres more room sideline to sideline.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just listening to Kyle Long on the radio. He said 1st and Goal play the ball was tipped at the line (reiterating what Rich had said earlier) and that the team moved on from that... But what I found interesting was that he said the players really like the play-calling. They really like the aggressive style (which we see at times).

As for the defense, it all begins up front. If the DLine is not generating pressure on the QB, there is greater pressure on the DBs and LBs in coverage. I don't like it (just like everyone else) but I'm sure if we think it is a problem, I can only imagine what the Bears coaching staff is thinking.

On a positive note, the first two games show just how well the DBs have been playing. With no DLine pressure, other backs would be scorched.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just listening to Kyle Long on the radio. He said 1st and Goal play the ball was tipped at the line (reiterating what Rich had said earlier) and that the team moved on from that... But what I found interesting was that he said the players really like the play-calling. They really like the aggressive style (which we see at times).

As for the defense, it all begins up front. If the DLine is not generating pressure on the QB, there is greater pressure on the DBs and LBs in coverage. I don't like it (just like everyone else) but I'm sure if we think it is a problem, I can only imagine what the Bears coaching staff is thinking.

On a positive note, the first two games show just how well the DBs have been playing. With no DLine pressure, other backs would be scorched.

Your first paragraph makes sense. Teams dont come from behind to win without crafty, aggressive play calling.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Man everyone's gotta complaint. Don't know why you can't all be super optimist homers like me.

Yeah we should be a little worried. We don't win Sunday without Hester's return game. That alone should make anyone squeamish.

The lines on both sides are underwhelming so far. I don't think many would argue that the d linemen. Have t exactly been four pro bowlers. But I think most think the o line is playing well. Mostly because of only one sack. I'd say watch the plAys. There's only one sack because of the aggressive play calling. They are playing pretty fast. How many plays is cutler sitting back there taking his time scanning the field? Very little. And good thing, because watch the linemen. They are getting pushed around. The run blocking was a little better this week,!some interesting run blocking schemes and all, but I'd say most of the line looking good boils down to the fast passing plays. Defenses are going to adjust to this.

We won two games at home by four points total. Good opponents, sure. But I'm not sold on anything yet. The d line has to play a lot better than this.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich, Im sure you noticed they brought in the heavy load- both Bush and Fiametta were brought in on that play to decoy. Absolutely a designed pass play. While I will remain curious on a 1st and goal pass play, youre spot on- if it works we arent dedicating bandwidth to this.

Im sure many are blaming Cutler on the Smith interception, but after seeing it a few times, it really wasnt that bad of a throw- it was single high coverage, and Smith came in from the top to make the play. I noticed Marshall didnt make an attempt to locate the ball. If he locates it, he may be able to make a play on it, or play DB and keep Smith from intercepting.

I thought the same thing about the Smith interception when I saw it again. Usually, Marshall is great at going up and getting the ball. Here, he drifted backwards a bit and waited on it. A mistake you would generally expect from a younger or more inexperienced receiver, not Brandon Marshall. It also appeared that he just didn't see Smith coming.

Although, while Marshall could have gone up and made a play on it. Jay did float it a bit and under throw it. It wasn't a terrible throw, but he definitely hung it up there too long.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get how you can blame the Bears poor pass defense on Tucker.

Tucker's not the one playing defensive line and getting ZERO pressure on the QB. I'm not saying I'm CRAZY about Tucker. It's too early into his stint here to have an opinion on him.

Just think it's up to Tucker to light a fire under the D-linemen. Or put them in a better position to succeed. He's the DC, so he gets the blame from me.
I don't dislike him, but am very disappointed at how the D has played so far. If Pep & Melton aren't up to snuff ( healthy). I think he should give the younger guys some playing time.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love T-mans play calling. Just didn't like that pass play ( like Rich said, I probably would have loved it if it worked), after we got to the 1 by running the ball. It's easy to 2nd guess after the fact.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only complaint is we have not gone deep enough. It,s low percentage sure but it backs the def up and makes them defend the whole field. Take a early shot or two, it will pay off in other ways during the game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok my real complaint is STs coverage. We suck.

RaptorII

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only complaint is we have not gone deep enough. It,s low percentage sure but it backs the def up and makes them defend the whole field. Take a early shot or two, it will pay off in other ways during the game.

I don't disagree with this, I'd like to see a couple of deep shots taken.
I think we will eventually.

Obviously the dink and dunk game is the bread and butter of this kind of scheme, but I would bet that T-man has a fairly liberal sprinkling of long-ball thrown in.
It only makes sense for him to have it designed into a few game plans.

It's early.
Baby steps.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with this, I'd like to see a couple of deep shots taken.
I think we will eventually.

Obviously the dink and dunk game is the bread and butter of this kind of scheme, but I would bet that T-man has a fairly liberal sprinkling of long-ball thrown in.
It only makes sense for him to have it designed into a few game plans.

It's early.
Baby steps.

Dink and dunk will improve with a few deep throws attempted. I still see teams stacking on us. But overall play calling has been very good IMO.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It depends on what you consider a deep shot.
BM has 2- 30yarders in 2 games. Coverage usually dictates what you can or cannot do.
We don't have the speed wr that can beat both the CB & S . But both AJ & BM can beat a CB in 1 on 1.
Be patien NOON , this O is just getting it's feet under it.
The best is yet to come.:suds:

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man everyone's gotta complaint. Don't know why you can't all be super optimist homers like me.

Yeah we should be a little worried. We don't win Sunday without Hester's return game. That alone should make anyone squeamish.

The lines on both sides are underwhelming so far. I don't think many would argue that the d linemen. Have t exactly been four pro bowlers. But I think most think the o line is playing well. Mostly because of only one sack. I'd say watch the plAys. There's only one sack because of the aggressive play calling. They are playing pretty fast. How many plays is cutler sitting back there taking his time scanning the field? Very little. And good thing, because watch the linemen. They are getting pushed around. The run blocking was a little better this week,!some interesting run blocking schemes and all, but I'd say most of the line looking good boils down to the fast passing plays. Defenses are going to adjust to this.

We won two games at home by four points total. Good opponents, sure. But I'm not sold on anything yet. The d line has to play a lot better than this.

Wooton has disapointed so far , Paea ( I'd throw Collins in there too) has been carrying the D-line so far. Pep & Melton are just getting into game shape. I expect if not this week vs Pitt , than next week vs DET. the D-line finds their groove.
I'll stand by my 4 potential probowlers quote till Paea & Wooton are out of the league.

Just curious , didn't see your prediction in the prediction thread.
Where do you see this team finishing?
And I've been told , if I'm not complaining , I'm not happy. Guess it's just my nature. But I live with it. :lol:

RaptorII

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dink and dunk will improve with a few deep throws attempted. I still see teams stacking on us. IMO.

Of course, it would stretch the field, and I imagine we'll see it used at opportune times.

I think Trestman will use it effectively as a tool to do just that, -stretch the field when it will be most effective.
His system probably has it in there, just not as a staple like the shorter game is, but rather as a tool to maximize the shorter game.

I'm sure that there is a lot we have not yet seen.