• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 12 @ CLE

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s do or die again for the Steelers.

The Steelers have handled the Browns pretty convincingly the last decade…19-2 since 2003 by my count. Those players have mostly come and gone, most important is the present and the Browns did beat PIT last year…Campbell is kind like an Alex Smith type QB…steady, but not really that aggressive down field. Will beat you if you don't pressure him...Solid DEF, I think the PIT OL will be a little outmanned again this week up the middle and will have to play a solid game as a unit.

The Browns have 2 playmakers that probably would start for most teams in the league in Gordon, WR, and the TE Cameron Jordan…Gordon is an underrated player imo, actually both are. I’m not sure how LeBeau is going to play this game…barring the dreaded turnover, I do not see CLE scoring a lot of points and PIT probably won’t either. I’m counting on the OL to play another good game and for Ben to pull out a close one.

In my weekly picks I have it 23-17 PIT (or something close to that score)to go 5-6.

What say you?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20-17 pitt ... cause it will be a sad day in mudville if we lose

Seems about right, I am leaning around that score, wouldn't be entirely shocked if its 20-17 Cleve though either.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on which Steelers show up. If it's the ones who played in the 1st quarter and second half this past Sunday, our boys will win by 10 or more.

If it's the ones who "played" in the second quarter, the Brownies could take the game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on which Steelers show up. If it's the ones who played in the 1st quarter and second half this past Sunday, our boys will win by 10 or more.

If it's the ones who "played" in the second quarter, the Brownies could take the game.

Exactly...that 2Q had a few unusual things happen but they did hold the line on the RZ defense right before the half.

The game will boil down to the OL play...if the center of the OL can give Ben a pocket to step into...I think he's have another good game and yes, 10 or more is what I think too.

But...we haven't seen any consistency from the OL this year...maybe last week was the start of something.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 12 @ CLE Recap

imo...the best played game of the year, OFC, DEF, ST.

OFC...the numbers don't scream great game, but great balance kept Ben very clean. Bell was more productive than I thought he might be...looks like he had some opportunities to bounce it outside for big yds but I get the sense they want him to stay with the hole.

OL has taken a lot of heat this season rightfully so...they deserve an attaboy today. Ben was able to look left, and right on most pass plays...when it wasn't there he threw it away. WR plays was very good...some concern going in regarding Haden on A. Brown, but Brown was spectacular, good support from Miller & Sanders. Bell dropped a few on bang bang plays so I can't complain much.

DEF...I thought last week was Worilds best game...scrap that...not sure if he had a sack but at least 5 or 6 QB hits was very disruptive...4 turnovers was the difference in the game...Troy causing 2 fumbles.
McLendon goes out and Woods get 2 sacks and Heyward is quietly becoming a playmaker on the DL.

ST/Field position...good field position punting pent CLE deep twice on a windy day...the 1st drive of the 4Q I thought really shifted the game to PIT...no score on the drive, but they kept the ball for nearly 8 mins making a 2 score lead look real strong.

Outlook...in the playoff mix...will do a little research on that and post it later.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 12 @ CLE Recap

imo...the best played game of the year, OFC, DEF, ST.

OFC...the numbers don't scream great game, but great balance kept Ben very clean. Bell was more productive than I thought he might be...looks like he had some opportunities to bounce it outside for big yds but I get the sense they want him to stay with the hole.

OL has taken a lot of heat this season rightfully so...they deserve an attaboy today. Ben was able to look left, and right on most pass plays...when it wasn't there he threw it away. WR plays was very good...some concern going in regarding Haden on A. Brown, but Brown was spectacular, good support from Miller & Sanders. Bell dropped a few on bang bang plays so I can't complain much.

DEF...I thought last week was Worilds best game...scrap that...not sure if he had a sack but at least 5 or 6 QB hits was very disruptive...4 turnovers was the difference in the game...Troy causing 2 fumbles.
McLendon goes out and Woods get 2 sacks and Heyward is quietly becoming a playmaker on the DL.

ST/Field position...good field position punting pent CLE deep twice on a windy day...the 1st drive of the 4Q I thought really shifted the game to PIT...no score on the drive, but they kept the ball for nearly 8 mins making a 2 score lead look real strong.

Outlook...in the playoff mix...will do a little research on that and post it later.

Damn straight! That was just a downright physical beating they put on Cleveland. Once again showing that the poor Brownies are the "red-headed-step-child" of the AFCN.

Like you said, nothing flashy, but the offense grinded out a solid performance. Looks like the O-line is starting to fit the mold so to speak. I saw a few issues with the run blocking but at least the pass blocking is drastically improved. AB is a shoe-in for the pro bowl this season!

DEF: Worilds registered 6 QB hits! Pretty amazing! But what's even more shocking is William Gay's performance! Pick 6 & a crucial sack fumble! I had to rewind a few times just to make sure I was reading his jersey correctly :scratch:. You may never hear this award next to his name again, but Gay is an honerable mention to deserving AFC Defensive Player of the Week. Heyward & Poly continue to dominate! I was very impressed with Heyward's performance against the perennial pro bowler Thomas. He was constantly applying pressure! On a less positive note, it looked as though Taylor took the week off. Not a knock on Gordon at all because he is a solid player and gave a great performance, but with the likes of Campbell & Weeden throwing the ball I'm not going to sweep it under the rug.

ST: Definitely one of the top performances by the ST unit this week. At least for the punter position's sake. We have yet to have a solid game from a punter in I don't know how long. :clap:. Sad to see Brown blow up his knee untouched. Same thing happened to Mendenhall on that turf back in 2011. Rough field to play on!

Outlook: With the Jets losing the picture is starting to get a lot closer. We are one game behind the Titans, which I feel pretty confident that they can overtake. But the Ravens are the only team that worries me now. This week is going to be one of the most crucial games of this season now. If we can grind out a win at M&T Bank on Thanksgiving, then we could possibly be in the drivers seat for the 6th seed. :clap:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's something about the Browns man...(did they pass him over in the draft or something?) Ben is 16-1 vs CLE. Hopefully it's more than that and this team on finding a groove...you said it...BAL is the new hurdle.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's something about the Browns man...(did they pass him over in the draft or something?) Ben is 16-1 vs CLE. Hopefully it's more than that and this team on finding a groove...you said it...BAL is the new hurdle.

This section of an NFL.com postgame story says it all :

"One more bitter pill for Browns fans to swallow: Bill Livingston of The Plain Dealer passed on a nugget this week about Butch Davis, the former Cleveland coach who drafted Gerard Warren over LaDainian Tomlinson and passed on selecting Roethlisberger back in 2004. Asked about the two-time Super Bowl winner coming out of Miami of Ohio, Butch told reporters: "Ah'm not that bi-ig on Bi-ig Ben." Ten years later, it stands out as one of this nightmare-drenched organization's biggest mistakes."

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This section of an NFL.com postgame story says it all :

"One more bitter pill for Browns fans to swallow: Bill Livingston of The Plain Dealer passed on a nugget this week about Butch Davis, the former Cleveland coach who drafted Gerard Warren over LaDainian Tomlinson and passed on selecting Roethlisberger back in 2004. Asked about the two-time Super Bowl winner coming out of Miami of Ohio, Butch told reporters: "Ah'm not that bi-ig on Bi-ig Ben." Ten years later, it stands out as one of this nightmare-drenched organization's biggest mistakes."

Wow...I remember the Butch Davis era well, but didn't know that.

Well good for them!!!

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just throwing this out there, but could Worilds play of the rest of the season make Woodley expendable?

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we could make a run at this .. the O line is starting to gel and our hurt players are getting healthy again ...gotta beat the gayvens first though

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just throwing this out there, but could Worilds play of the rest of the season make Woodley expendable?

Most definitely... I think Woodley is already expendable. Worilds' play to this point has basically made Woodley a high-priced accessory.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worilds/Woodley...not off of his body of work to date.

Production...it may seem like Worilds has turned the corner the last couple of games, but we have to take into account that he was playing against a RT that many fans in CLE think should be playing G, and the week before that...a Lions beat writer deemed their RT to be a revolving door.

I like what I'm seeing the last few weeks, but I would need a much bigger sampling before I'm ready to shed Woodley for Worilds @ LOLB.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most definitely... I think Woodley is already expendable. Worilds' play to this point has basically made Woodley a high-priced accessory.

Yeah, assuming Worilds can keeps it up I agree.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worilds/Woodley...not off of his body of work to date.

Production...it may seem like Worilds has turned the corner the last couple of games, but we have to take into account that he was playing against a RT that many fans in CLE think should be playing G, and the week before that...a Lions beat writer deemed their RT to be a revolving door.

I like what I'm seeing the last few weeks, but I would need a much bigger sampling before I'm ready to shed Woodley for Worilds @ LOLB.

I was thinking theoretically, assuming everything goes right for Worilds from now till the end of the season, if you contemplate moving from Woodley and keep Worilds. Cap space dictates they need to start moving some big contracts, IMO. Especially a guy who could probably net a draft pick return if they wanted to move him.

But yeah, I agree, I want to see Worilds keep this up first.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking theoretically, assuming everything goes right for Worilds from now till the end of the season, if you contemplate moving from Woodley and keep Worilds. Cap space dictates they need to start moving some big contracts, IMO. Especially a guy who could probably net a draft pick return if they wanted to move him.

But yeah, I agree, I want to see Worilds keep this up first.

Assuming Worilds does stay on his current trend of play...that's not bad thinking (not so much Woodley, but something they should have done after the SB loss to GB imo).

Woodley...he's reworked his contract at least once, (I'm thinking twice) already to help with cap space...that comes at a price.

Trade...for the next 2 seasons his cap hit is $13.1 mil and $8.6 mil. For a team to absorb that and give up a decent pick is a steep price for a guy turning 30 next year.

Release...I know you didn't suggest this but again...contract is somewhat toxic regarding that also...if released after this season...nearly $12 mil in remaining bonus would accelerate to the '14 cap...based on my math you don't realize much of any savings next year, but in '15 you would.

Unless a trade partner surfaces, financially '14 is not the year to move Woodley.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha, I'm not really familiar with the way the NFL cap works, that definitely puts a damper on things.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha, I'm not really familiar with the way the NFL cap works, that definitely puts a damper on things.

Yea...I've just recently gotten up to speed on what I do know about it...I'm pretty sure you know the bonus is the only guaranteed money on NFL contracts. If you're cut, all the remaining bonus money accelerates to the current season cap. That's kind of why you see big name guys getting released in their final yr vs with 2 or more years remaining.

In Woodley case...per Spotac.com he's due $14.1 mil in g money over the next 3 years....but most of that is '14 & '15. If he's released PIT would have to carry the $14.1 on the cap next year. Like this year...PIT is still carrying Harrison & Colon's bonus money this year I think...but Colon was a high salary, low bonus player for the '13 season so it was a cut friendly contract.

That's kind of why I was certain that Troy was not going to be released last year. But now Troy falls into that high salary low bonus in his final year...fortunately he's having a good season, but I still think they will ask for a reduction in his final year because if released they would save about 3.8 mil...Given that Colbert has also gone to Ike for salary cap relief, it probably means he will be on the roster next season.