• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Washington Huskies vs Texas Longhorns, Sugar Bowl, 5:45PST, ESPN

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 mil annually doesn't compete against the B10 and SEC schools on what they get. In order to compete against other conferences you need primetime slots which the Pac did not have. Money is needed for travel for all sports, upgrade facilities and in terms of recruiting, primetime tv slots. All those options were gone. Before you say 30 mil is lucrative as you say, the ACC schools get roughly 39mil and they hate that contract cause networks are paying premium for the brand which is why the west coast schools bolted and I don't blame them.
The PAC 12 was primarily watched by people in the west. The games are on too late for the eastern time zone. The PAC12 also froze out local sports networks.

Cu PAC12 management is solely responsible for of the destruction of the PAC12.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PAC 12 was primarily watched by people in the west. The games are on too late for the eastern time zone. The PAC12 also froze out local sports networks.

Cu PAC12 management is solely responsible for of the destruction of the PAC12.
Believe me, I live on the east coast and have watched many Husky games featured on Pac after dark. Making this move now opens up lots of games to be televised for the east coast but more importantly, recruits can watch and add Washington to the list of potential schools they like to visit. Yes Pac management screwed this up but moving to the B10 will benefit them.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe me, I live on the east coast and have watched many Husky games featured on Pac after dark. Making this move now opens up lots of games to be televised for the east coast but more importantly, recruits can watch and add Washington to the list of potential schools they like to visit. Yes Pac management screwed this up but moving to the B10 will benefit them.
But you’re a Husky fan living in SEC / ACC country.

Moving to the BIG 10 hurts other sports more than it does football.

Other sports play many more games than football. How is a female student going to be able to attend classes and still travel to the east coast and mid west 15 to 18 times a volleyball or softball season? Same with basketball.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Other sports play many more games than football. How is a female student going to be able to attend classes and still travel to the east coast and mid west 15 to 18 times a volleyball or softball season? Same with basketball.
Used to be Big East territory for football, now it's B10 country with Rutgers, Maryland and PSU.

Yep, Husky fan on the east coast is nice now that games become primetime. More importantly recruits get to watch and that's key.

They're the 1% in this country that has the talent to play for their school. They'll be fine and those kids will be making memories to tell their kids one day. This payday Washington gets now and a higher portion in the future pays for everything.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched both the huskies (41-7) and skunk weasels (49-0) beat my dead horse team to a bloody pulp this season...
rooting Washington because they, at least, showed a tiny touch of class allowing our 4thQ trash td.*

* oh hell, I'd be rooting for ANY team not named Michigan anyway.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Universities now offer entire degrees virtually. I'm sure this isn't that big of a deal in today's world

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a different academic world than it was just 10-15 years ago. Covid turbo charged the online classroom to the point that nearly 1/3 of students are exclusively online, with more than half taking classes online at some point in their college studies.

I imagine they will just set up travel similar to major league baseball. For instance, Michigan softball could just spend two weeks out West. During that time they could play USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington (or maybe just 3 of those 4). Same thing for basketball. Line up a 10 day trip where the team plays 3-4 games out west, and vice versa.

Football revenue is what pays for most college sports. These other sports will learn to adjust, especially with the increase in revenue that will make the college facilities even better.