• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Warriors get under the Tax Line

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors traded Jeremy Tyler to Atlanta and Charles Jenkins to Philly.

I think Jenkins will turn into a solid backup PG. It will be interesting to see what happens next year when Jack becomes a free agent. I thought that they might hold on to him even with the cap ramifications because of Jack likely getting sizable offers on the market.

I also had higher hopes for Tyler when he was drafted but apparently he wasn't good enough to take any minutes from Biedrins and Ezeli passing him over as well.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess this tells us that the Dubs are not going to make any kind of major move. Even though I am not really a big Klay Thompson fan, I think it's the right move.

Each garnered a second round pick in return. With those picks, the Dubs can likely grab a backup PG and maybe even a backup SF if Rush does not return.

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It sounds like they're not "normal" 2nd round picks - both are stated along the line of "future draft considerations". What that probably means is that they're top-55 protected, so we'll never get anything from them.

And that's okay with me. The Warriors actually paid Atlanta to take Tyler, so this was not just about money. It was about not making this be the first year when we would go into the luxury tax, but rather waiting for the right time. Next year unless there is a big change, we're going to be tax-payers. Teams that are tax-payers lose a number of options in signing / trading players, and there was no point in getting into that bind, purely to save Tyler and Jenkins. And the penalties get steep for teams repeatedly in the tax.

Good moves today. We'll miss Jenkins, but it was smart to do what we did.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like they're not "normal" 2nd round picks - both are stated along the line of "future draft considerations". What that probably means is that they're top-55 protected, so we'll never get anything from them.

And that's okay with me. The Warriors actually paid Atlanta to take Tyler, so this was not just about money. It was about not making this be the first year when we would go into the luxury tax, but rather waiting for the right time. Next year unless there is a big change, we're going to be tax-payers. Teams that are tax-payers lose a number of options in signing / trading players, and there was no point in getting into that bind, purely to save Tyler and Jenkins. And the penalties get steep for teams repeatedly in the tax.

Good moves today. We'll miss Jenkins, but it was smart to do what we did.

I agree this is a huge factor as well. The penalties are stiff for repeat tax offenders, and I read that with 11 players committed next year the payroll is already at 74M. What will be interesting to see is what steps they take to resign players like Jack and Landry, and seeing if they're willing to trade for another big name players with their expiring contracts. In the Cohan era, we often wasted those opportunities.