• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Warren Sapp stiffs waitress

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been in the restaurant industry my entire life and tipping has always been all over the place. Who cares? God, the off-season is awful! Isn't there a police report with an NFL player on it out there somewhere?

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tips are a gratuity in lieu of good service. So if the service was bad then the waiter or waitress doesn't deserve a damn thing. If they complain that they live off their tips then get better at your job. I get tired of hearing people complain about getting stiffed by customers, like they are entitled to a tip regardless of how they treat said customer.

That being said I always tip but if I get shit service I'm only going to give 10% instead of 20%.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will usually tip no matter what if I finish my meal, but not a good tip. Some people are different, if it was shitty service he has a right.

But if it wasn't bad service and just something she said, then he is just a fat POS.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A while back I created a thread on tipping. There have been plenty of times when I didn't feel as if the waiter deserved a tip, but I gave them 10% just because I don't want to get my food spit in next time I go back there. I usually never go under 10% though.

In Washington state waiters get paid $9.32, in comparison to the $2.13 tipped minimum wage that waiters get paid in a lot of other states, which leads me to be less sympathetic with shitty service in this state.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry if this has already been stated, but let me ask this?

Did the waitress say things like
"How you boys doing?"
"Can I get you boys anything else?"
"How was the meal boys?"

or

Was it like
"Hey boy, you like your meal?"
"How ya doing boy"

If she was saying anything like the first part "Hey boys, how ya doing" then I see NO problem with that. If it's the second part, then I get where Sapp is coming from.

Was it ever mentioned or is it clear in which context the word boy or boys was used?
Sorry again if I missed this, just asking for better understanding of the situation.

I have a hard time believing that she was calling them "boys" in a racist manner. It sounds like more of an excuse to get out of paying his tip. Either that or she reminded him of Chad Clifton? :noidea:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time believing that she was calling them "boys" in a racist manner. It sounds like more of an excuse to get out of paying his tip. Either that or she reminded him of Chad Clifton? :noidea:

Sounds like the "boy" making millions cheaped out on a 20% tip.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry if this has already been stated, but let me ask this?

Did the waitress say things like
"How you boys doing?"
"Can I get you boys anything else?"
"How was the meal boys?"

or

Was it like
"Hey boy, you like your meal?"
"How ya doing boy"

If she was saying anything like the first part "Hey boys, how ya doing" then I see NO problem with that. If it's the second part, then I get where Sapp is coming from.

Was it ever mentioned or is it clear in which context the word boy or boys was used?
Sorry again if I missed this, just asking for better understanding of the situation.

Posts 14, 17, and 22.

I don't know how she said boy.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tips are a gratuity in lieu of good service. So if the service was bad then the waiter or waitress doesn't deserve a damn thing. If they complain that they live off their tips then get better at your job. I get tired of hearing people complain about getting stiffed by customers, like they are entitled to a tip regardless of how they treat said customer.

That being said I always tip but if I get shit service I'm only going to give 10% instead of 20%.

Not sure in lieu was used correctly (not saying it isn't) but I agree with this post. The last sentence is true, too, with me (just substitute 20 with dime number north of 15).

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do waiters and waitresses continue to post online their "tips?"

Sapp is an A-Hole however.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever. That said, minimum wage in some places like WA state is now over $12. That plus tips is better than interning as a freaking engineer at some jobs LOL. With my charisma and past experience I could get close to $30/hr ($4,000+ a month) is some states PRE tax (but I would already get a discount by not disclosing tips on a 1040).

Min Wage + Tips as a server. Hell bartenders can easily rake in $200+ a night if they're good.

And thank you for telling everyone that you have committed tax evasion. My ex-wife would routinely claim just 8% of her tips. As a CPA I am telling you that you must claim 100% of your tips, otherwise you can end up in jail.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most I will typically tip is 20%, and that depends on how busy the restaurant is, the busier it is the less I tip. If Sapp tipped 20% on this check then it would have been a $14 gratuity, throw in the minimum wage at $2, now off that one table the waitress could have got $16 an hour, if you get that over another 5 or more tables then you could potentially get $50+ an hour. That is too much for a server, their work is not worth that much.

Most places I start out at 10% when I go in, if it is stellar service the tip goes up, if it is shitty service then it goes down. IF at any time my drink is empty, or if you forget to order something then you get 0%. The job of a server is simple, you take orders and give them to the kitchen, and you also make sure that the customer has something to drink; if you cannot get the basics handled then you do not deserve anything. IF I leave nothing I will tell you why, IF I leave more than 20% I will tell you why, either way you know what you did either good or bad so you can get better.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most I will typically tip is 20%, and that depends on how busy the restaurant is, the busier it is the less I tip. If Sapp tipped 20% on this check then it would have been a $14 gratuity, throw in the minimum wage at $2, now off that one table the waitress could have got $16 an hour, if you get that over another 5 or more tables then you could potentially get $50+ an hour. That is too much for a server, their work is not worth that much.

From someone that has worked in the food service industry.

I'm of the mindset that tipping is part of the meal if you get served...how much is up to the patron...10%, 15%, 20%, or you're doing something wrong is BS imo. At the same time there should never be a 0% if you got served...even if it was bad...a $1 or $2 (on a $40 ticket) with a note can go a long way towards helping a waiter/tress understand they did a poor job...and a good one will take that to heart and you'll likely see better service the next time...if there is a next time....bad service, leaving a decent tip and never coming back...I get that, but the manager of that establish can do more for you in the future if they know more...you can improve on bad feedback far more than good.

On your point bold...I understand where you're coming from the job is essentially the same as a Waffle House server...but basing your tip on how much you think the server makes...I don't get. You say their work is not worth a certain amount of money...you go to a nice place for a special occasion if the service is good, most likely you'll have a good experience...if the service is poor, it can ruin the entire evening.

Then on the flip...servers at these expensive places often share the tip with the hostess, the bartender, even the cook if they do something special for the diner...trying to count their pocket is not the way to determine how you're going to tip.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see it now, Sapp choking, you walking up saying. " looks like you need a heimlich, how much cash you got on you?"

Exactly plus his rings and diamond earring

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know whats dumb..that 15 or 20 percent or what ever. the more food I buy the more it costs me means the waitress gets more money ? since when? you are doing nothing but walking my food over. Tips aren't a legal obligation. I don't mind tipping but its a tip not an obligation on my part. I'm giving you free money.[/QUOTE

You sound like MR Pink in Resevoir dogs ( Steven Buschemi) who wont even tip $1. He asks why he is Mr Pink and head guy says " Cause your a fag"

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is just stupid.

I've explained why.

1) It's just food. My life isn't going to be ruined because a waitress wasn't friendly enough or it took a few minutes longer than expected to get my food.

2) I consider it expected. If I'm going to go make a purchase, I expect to pay taxes on it. If I'm going to a restaurant I expect to tip. For those who don't expect to do it - cook at home and don't go out to eat.

3) My starting point is roughly 20%. For really good service I will go to around 30%. I just usually don't deviate much from that range.

4) When I leave the establishment, I leave happy and knowing my dignity is in check. I have been "served" and I tipped. Maybe I made someone's day a little bit better and whether or not they went crazy out of their way for me is irrelevant. I expected to tip and I did.

** Let's say my meal was $50.00. And let's say I got less than great service. 20% is $10.00 and 10% is $5.00. In the grand scheme of things wtf is five dollars?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a cook/manager for about 10 years, waitresses are generally very bitchy and are very judgy of their customers. So I don't feel bad for them.

Personally I don't dine out often (I'm pretty damn good in the kitchen) but when I do I hardly ever make any special requests ie hold this or can I have this. I dont feel that there should be an arbitrary % to tip but I also don't tip zero.

If they (servers) don't like it get a real fk'n skill otherwise stfu and take the GIFTS you get.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's skip the whole conversation about how much to tip or if it's good service,

let's talk about Warren Sapp the cheap bastard that doesn't tip!
It amazes me this guy has a job on NFL Network, he's in the news all the time, and not for a good thing..

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From someone that has worked in the food service industry.

I'm of the mindset that tipping is part of the meal if you get served...how much is up to the patron...10%, 15%, 20%, or you're doing something wrong is BS imo. At the same time there should never be a 0% if you got served...even if it was bad...a $1 or $2 (on a $40 ticket) with a note can go a long way towards helping a waiter/tress understand they did a poor job...and a good one will take that to heart and you'll likely see better service the next time...if there is a next time....bad service, leaving a decent tip and never coming back...I get that, but the manager of that establish can do more for you in the future if they know more...you can improve on bad feedback far more than good.

On your point bold...I understand where you're coming from the job is essentially the same as a Waffle House server...but basing your tip on how much you think the server makes...I don't get. You say their work is not worth a certain amount of money...you go to a nice place for a special occasion if the service is good, most likely you'll have a good experience...if the service is poor, it can ruin the entire evening.

Then on the flip...servers at these expensive places often share the tip with the hostess, the bartender, even the cook if they do something special for the diner...trying to count their pocket is not the way to determine how you're going to tip.

Yes, the tip is part of the meal if the server gets less than minimum wage. I feel that serving at your average restaurant is a minimum wage type of job, maybe a little bit more but that is it. You do not have to have any skills to be a server; all you have to do is be able to bring me a drink and a plate of food. If at any time you fail to do those then you do not get anything as it is a gift from me to the server, if they have a problem with their wage then they need to get a new job, or get their manager to give them more than minimum wage don’t expect the customer to pay for it. A good friend of my dad’s owns a little dairy bar in his home town, as a kid he told me his business philosophy and I live by it, do not reduce service, quality, or quantity, increase price. If you take care of those three then you will have sales. If a server understands those items, then they will get a great tip, if not then sorry you need to get better.

Most of the time I will talk directly to the server about why I felt the service was poor, at the very least I will leave a note, as a manager I know that it is impossible for my employees to get better without any critical feedback. At the same time I do the same if you excel at your job. Just like any career, without knowing what you are doing wrong there is no chance that you can get better.

As far as your second point, if I take the wife out for a special occasion then I am not going to a local restaurant, I take her on a special weekend to a 7 star/5 Diamond hotel, and a 3 star restaurant. At that point then yes I am going to increase my tip along with my expectations but at the same time my bill is not going to be $50 for dinner, I will expect to pay between $500 to a $1,000 and at that point I would expect to put a couple hundred down in tip as it does get spread around, if the food quality is higher than expected then I put more down. At that type of restaurant there is virtually no chance at poor service. If you want a really nice experience I would suggest the Ithaa restaurant at the Maldives. The first time I was there was for my honey moon and the wife has made me go back 3 other times. I just love that restaurant, first off it is under water in a coral bed so there is sea life all around you and I personally love aquariums so it is the best for me.

Also, every single employer places a value on their employee, a customer does the same thing, if I look around at the tables that my server is at and it looks like they are having a hard time, or if they get stiffed for no reason then I will increase my tip to cover their losses. I also do this if the restaurant is dead, I routinely ask how their day was, have they been busy, and if they have had a good day then I do not give any extra, but if they have had a poor day then I feel that I should make up for it since I can afford it. I love to go out to eat, so does my family, we actually eat out more than we eat at home, and I typically let the kids choose where we go so a lot of times we go to Chili’s or Applebee’s, and the wait staff no us by name and for the most part they know our orders by heart. So if they get a small tip they know they screwed up, and I tell them that.