• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: VT vs. Western Michigan, 12:30PM ACC Network

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping my fingers crossed here but Shai's injury didn't look good. He pulled his leg up quick and went down immediately. Really hoping its not his ACL

Also, after Farris false start earlier, they pulled him. Wang is center, Teller and Smith are at guard.

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Keeping my fingers crossed here but Shai's injury didn't look good. He pulled his leg up quick and went down immediately. Really hoping its not his ACL

Also, after Farris false start earlier, they pulled him. Wang is center, Teller and Smith are at guard.

Hate that for Shai. Good thing Edmunds seems to be getting back into form.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"False start. Everyone but the center" :L

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This ACC network feed online has been shitty all game. And ESPN has our game blacked out down here in Tampa. Been beyond frustrated not only at the team, but just trying to watch them play.

I was watching on Cox Cable in Florida. Same thing---lots of blurred/skipped plays. Second week in a row. Had same problems with the Georgia Tech game.

What's wrong with the ACC network? Let's make sure we complain to the right place. That needs to get fixed.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it wasn't pretty at times but we come out with a win.

-Defense did pretty well today but still had some breakdowns that gave up big yardage. Walker subbing in for Maddy looked ok out there so that's a plus.

-The offense in the first half was awful. It's combination of Loeffler's play calling and poor execution. Outside of a couple of big runs from Marshawn, we couldn't run at all. I don't think we need any more evidence at this point in the season to see that our OL can't run block the schemes we're trying to run. In the 2nd half, someone made the call to go back to traditional power schemes and things were much better. Marshawn and Shai had good holes and got big gains. They still had to make a few guys miss on the second level so the offense line wasn't perfect but they were certainly better. We should just gameplan around this from here on out.

-Personally, I would have benched Brewer. His INTs hurt us and he had a couple of more he just threw up there but the defense couldn't make a play or a receiver bailed him out (Hodges bailed him out big time on one throw in the 2nd half). I can't recall seeing a player like Brewer before. He's so on and off. He can look pretty good, seeing the entire field, going through reads, and completing balls at a high percentage. The ball moves down the field. And then a switch goes off and throws absolutely horrendous balls. Just lofting passes up praying a VT guy comes down with it. Maybe he needs a hypnotist to tell him if a guy is in your face, just take the damn sack or throw it to the sideline. Just STOP throwing it up. It's just so confusing to me. I don't see how you can be so effective and then be that dumb. It's bad enough to where I would bench him because even if Leal/Motley's good might not be a high as Brewer's, them taking care of the ball would be enough.

We won, but if we're being honest, I think we would have lost had we faced a better (non-MAC) team. We found a couple of good things but our bad plays would absolutely have been capitalized on by better teams.

And seriously, pray for Shai. I'm really worried about how he went down

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shai has a sprained knee, so it certainly could be worse. We shall see, but I bet he will be out for at least 2-3 games. It's a good thing that Trey seems to be getting back to full speed. We will need him.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shai has a sprained knee, so it certainly could be worse. We shall see, but I bet he will be out for at least 2-3 games. It's a good thing that Trey seems to be getting back to full speed. We will need him.

i think they're just saying that unfortunately. Coaches made it seem like it was gonna be worse than a sprain. Lets wait until after the MRI

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lemme talk special teams for a sec.

Is Hughes healthy? He's had a handful of underwhelming punts this year. Low line drives.

No more 50+ field goal attempts. Slye's got the leg but its such a low percentage kick. Just go for it on 4th down if we're inside opponents 40 yard line. Unless it's 4th and a mile.

Cant praise Stroman's punt returning enough. Looks like a natural. He'll be housing a few soon. And why not try him with kickoff returns?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not official yet. Like hokiehi said, they still have to do an MRI. Definitely praying that's all it is. But it is the same knee he tore his ACL on in HS. And from his reaction, it looked like he immediately knew what happened. :(

Lemme talk special teams for a sec.

Is Hughes healthy? He's had a handful of underwhelming punts this year. Low line drives.

No more 50+ field goal attempts. Slye's got the leg but its such a low percentage kick. Just go for it on 4th down if we're inside opponents 40 yard line. Unless it's 4th and a mile.

Cant praise Stroman's punt returning enough. Looks like a natural. He'll be housing a few soon. And why not try him with kickoff returns?

I've seen some stuff on Twitter and comments that the Hughes punting situation maybe planned, as in Beamer is telling him not to boom it for coverage purposes. Whatever the reason, I agree. He definitely hasn't looked good this year

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All ligament damage in a knee (or any other major joint) is determined a "sprain." There are different grades of sprains and they need an MRI to determine what grade to give.

Grade 1 Sprains. The ligament is mildly damaged in a Grade 1 Sprain. It has been slightly stretched, but is still able to help keep the knee joint stable.

Grade 2 Sprains. A Grade 2 Sprain stretches the ligament to the point where it becomes loose. This is often referred to as a partial tear of the ligament.

Grade 3 Sprains. This type of sprain is most commonly referred to as a complete tear of the ligament. The ligament has been split into two pieces, and the knee joint is unstable.

I hope for a grade one sprain, but it didn't sound like Goforth was very optimistic about that.

Nortazhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All ligament damage in a knee (or any other major joint) is determined a "sprain." There are different grades of sprains and they need an MRI to determine what grade to give.

Grade 1 Sprains. The ligament is mildly damaged in a Grade 1 Sprain. It has been slightly stretched, but is still able to help keep the knee joint stable.

Grade 2 Sprains. A Grade 2 Sprain stretches the ligament to the point where it becomes loose. This is often referred to as a partial tear of the ligament.

Grade 3 Sprains. This type of sprain is most commonly referred to as a complete tear of the ligament. The ligament has been split into two pieces, and the knee joint is unstable.

I hope for a grade one sprain, but it didn't sound like Goforth was very optimistic about that.

Some rumblings on TSL by people who may know is that the injury may be very serious....very. I really, really hope that isn't true.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some rumblings on TSL by people who may know is that the injury may be very serious....very. I really, really hope that isn't true.

So what does "very serious.....very" mean? Does it get worse than Grade 3?

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Mckenzie is out for the season with a torn ACL

Wow... that... that fucking sucks.

I hope he's not the next George Bell (of course, poor George had two bum knees... not sure which is worse though).

Feel awful for him... and us. I thought he was the farthest along of our RBs, definitely the one with the best vision, IMHO. He had some speed and power to offer when he hit the hole, looked great. Hope he can recover from this, but two major knee surgeries before he's even 20 years old is not good. Might be smart for him to take the David Wilson career path for his long-term health.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well... when you graduate 1st-3rd round cover-corner talent every other year, you've got to replace those guys with similar talent. If you're a DB in Bud's Defense, you'll get the chance to show (or expose) your man-to-man skills. We're still trying to figure out who can compliment Fuller, who is a legit 1st rounder even as a Sophomore. If Facyson was 100%, he'd be the guy. But he's not... Riley and the others we've thrown into that spot haven't gotten it done. I think we've got a couple who can get there, but probably not this year.

I would expect someone on staff is saying as much to guys like Toliver, who could step right in, especially after Fuller bolts next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess who is #2? Our next opponent, UNC...with 1 less game under their belts.

UNC's offense thrives off the big play....VT not so much. I am sure VT stays at #1 even with a win this week.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks for Shai. I knew that was it when he went down. Hopefully he can come back because he can be a special player. I assume he can get a medical redshirt, right?

And to cheer us up, here's the Horse on a Treadmill video that played during the WMU game

Last edited by a moderator: