• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech - Club 216 Trash Talk Thread

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the thing. I am happy for Virginia and all or whatever. But this is not going to do a whole lot to help them. The problem was not quarterback play in the games that they got destroyed. The quarterback had 0.34 seconds to throw in those games. Sims will rack up some nice stats in the easy games and get himself drafted but he will be a complete non-factor in the games that matter until the Hoos get faster and more athletic and their coordinators learn how to coach against aggressive and unpredictable defenses.

Oh yeah, learning to tackle will help a lot as well.

This is such a non-factor......

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the thing. I am happy for Virginia and all or whatever. But this is not going to do a whole lot to help them. The problem was not quarterback play in the games that they got destroyed. The quarterback had 0.34 seconds to throw in those games. Sims will rack up some nice stats in the easy games and get himself drafted but he will be a complete non-factor in the games that matter until the Hoos get faster and more athletic and their coordinators learn how to coach against aggressive and unpredictable defenses.

Oh yeah, learning to tackle will help a lot as well.

This is such a non-factor......

This is true. If he does come in and play..I don't think he will completely transform the offense..I don't think he has the wheels to do that. Obviously this could be a good thing for UVA in the short term. He could come in and light it up, or at least there could be good competition. I wouldn't be shocked at all if some butts got sore and we seen a transfer or two though...wonder if Whova is willing to sacrifice 3 years with a potentially very good QB (lets just say Lambert) for 1 maybe 2 (at best) good years with Sims?? Assuming he even plays, It is not a foregone conclusion that would beat out Rocco or anyone else for that matter...

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line is that UVA fans think that they are "closing the gap" on VT, but it is just not true. The results on the field show that out. The scores are not even indicative as to the difference in talent between the two teams. Maybe it is pure talent. maybe it is coaching. Who knows, but UVA is a long long way.

Good for Sims though, He deserves to play.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UVA is definitely still behind when it comes to comparing to VT and will be for a while if not the foreseeable future. The consistency, atmosphere, results, and nfl players from VT at key positions will draw more recruits to VT than UVA. The coaching staff at VT is better than UVA and can develop players better than any school in the country. Until the staff gets broken up, VT will remain on top.

Sims is a good get for UVA but will not fix their issues as 46 pointed out. Hope him the best and I really do want UVA to be competitive again.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nfl players from VT at key positions will draw more recruits to VT than UVA. The coaching staff at VT is better than UVA and can develop players better than any school in the country.

Why do you all continously try to bring up the NFL angle when talking VT/UVa? Yes, VT has put more players into the NFL most recently, but that doesn't mean anything if they don't amount to anything once they get there.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find this Tech vs. UVa debate rather amusing.

The empirical evidence in this case is rather daunting. The statement "VT Football owns UVA football" is as close to scientific fact as you can get. Who could even argue?

And yet, we do?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yall quit giving Jeffro a hard time. It must be hard to be a UVA, Vikings, and Orioles fan.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Why do you all continously try to bring up the NFL angle when talking VT/UVa? Yes, VT has put more players into the NFL most recently, but that doesn't mean anything if they don't amount to anything once they get there.

having a chance > not having a chance.

If a player gets drafted or picked up on F/A VT (or whatever school) has played a big part in getting them there, what happens after that has a lot to do with luck, skill, politics, etc. Not a whole lot their college can do to hurt or help them either way.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yall quit giving Jeffro a hard time. It must be hard to be a UVA, Vikings, and Orioles fan.

The Vikings have made it to the NFC CG more recently than Philly, so that argument is null.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeffro,
Cody Grimm, Duane Brown, Josh Morgan, Eddie Royal, Jason Worilds, Kam Chancellor(pro-bowl), Ryan Williams(will be the AZ feature back when healthy), Brandon Flowers(should have pro-bowl) are all starters or see significant playing time and have come out in the past 5 years so there are your guys amounting to something in the NFL. There are plenty more on NFL rosters who are working towards playing time and the ones drafted this year. We bring it up because that is a major influence on recruits and the status of a program. And the coaches developing players is proven by Cody Grim (walk on to all american) and Danny Coale (2 star) in the NFL.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Vikings have made it to the NFC CG more recently than Philly, so that argument is null.

In the last 10 years Philly has made it to the NFC CG 5 times and the Vikings have made it once. lol

Who do you think has the better chance of making it there for the next five years? Philly.

When was the last time Philly won the NFC CG? 2008
When was the last time Minnesota won it? 1976

I don't think many people on Earth would say Vikings > Eagles

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If a player gets drafted or picked up on F/A VT (or whatever school) has played a big part in getting them there, what happens after that has a lot to do with luck, skill, politics, etc. Not a whole lot their college can do to hurt or help them either way.

That's my point. Pretty much every prospect gets the chance to go to combines, as well as have a Pro Day to display their talents to the NFL teams. It's all up to whether the player has the desire to excel or not once they get there. Take a look at the RB's who got the majority of the starts last year in the NFL. 9 of 32 teams started guys who didnt attend BCS schools.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeffro,
Cody Grimm, Duane Brown, Josh Morgan, Eddie Royal, Jason Worilds, Kam Chancellor(pro-bowl), Ryan Williams(will be the AZ feature back when healthy), Brandon Flowers(should have pro-bowl) are all starters or see significant playing time and have come out in the past 5 years so there are your guys amounting to something in the NFL. There are plenty more on NFL rosters who are working towards playing time and the ones drafted this year. We bring it up because that is a major influence on recruits and the status of a program. And the coaches developing players is proven by Cody Grim (walk on to all american) and Danny Coale (2 star) in the NFL.

Ok, lets compare that to who UVa has sent the past 5 years, shall we:

Danny Aiken, Brandon Albert, Chris Cook, Ras-I Dowling, Chris Long, Eugene Monroe. Cook and Dowling have both been hurt, but both will be competing for starting jobs.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the last 10 years Philly has made it to the NFC CG 5 times and the Vikings have made it once. lol

Who do you think has the better chance of making it there for the next five years? Philly.

When was the last time Philly won the NFC CG? 2008
When was the last time Minnesota won it? 1976

I don't think many people on Earth would say Vikings > Eagles

You know what that means, right? Past results dont mean shit. Vikes made it more recently, it that makes it more relevant. How has Philly done since sent McNabb packing and made Vick starter? Not shit.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what that means, right? Past results dont mean shit. Vikes made it more recently, it that makes it more relevant. How has Philly done since sent McNabb packing and made Vick starter? Not shit.

Weren't you the one that just said the Vikings had more NFC CG appearances than Philly? Now the past doesn't matter though? :confused2:

One year more recently... that's a big difference, and that was with one of the best QBs in NFL history that isn't coming back any time soon. Vick finished runner up for the MVP the year before last, so I don't think it's impossible for that to happen again. Anyways i can safely say this...... Michael Vick >>>>> Christian Ponder.

So, "Mr. past results don't matter unless they help my argument," do you think the Vikings will finish with a better record next year than the Eagles???

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey, the O's are first place in the AL East!!

Though I fully expect them to be 20 games under .500 come the All-Star break. :tsk:

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, the O's are first place in the AL East!!

Though I fully expect them to be 20 games under .500 come the All-Star break. :tsk:

lol, to be honest with you i could care less about baseball... I was just giving Jeffro a hard time. But with a little bit of research, I think the last time the Orioles finished above .500 in a season was 1997. :eek2: It can't be easy for an Orioles fan.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Originally Posted by NickVT10
nfl players from VT at key positions will draw more recruits to VT than UVA. The coaching staff at VT is better than UVA and can develop players better than any school in the country

That's my point. Pretty much every prospect gets the chance to go to combines, as well as have a Pro Day to display their talents to the NFL teams. It's all up to whether the player has the desire to excel or not once they get there. Take a look at the RB's who got the majority of the starts last year in the NFL. 9 of 32 teams started guys who didnt attend BCS schools.

No nick said that having Hokies at key positions on NFL teams would attract recruits to VT over whoVA. You then said that the NFL point was worthless because it didnt matter how many guys make it to the league it about what they do once they get there, you also agreed that VT has recently put more players in the NFL. I then made the point that having a chance to do something is better than not having a chance. The point being that if my dream was the NFL i would choose a school that has "recently sent more guys to the nfl". Sure guys will have a pro day to show their talents, but theres 3-5 years between HS and the NFL so it would be smart to pick a school whos staff has proven they can develop and build those talents.

BTW of those 9 guys who attended non-bcs schools i wonder how many were due to academics or other off the field issues and how many were "misses".

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
some more on the sims transfer. FWIW his hs coach seems pretty open and honest with the reason he is leaving Bama. BTW most of this was in the other story about this.

HS coach: Sims lost Tide QB battle because ‘he was the out-of-state guy’ | CollegeFootballTalk

"Sims said in a parting statement that his decision was “nothing more than a personal matter” and that he “just need to be closer to home to support my family at this time and that needs to be my priority right now.” Such a public statement was likely the precursor to an appeal for a waiver from the NCAA that would allow the quarterback to play immediately, likely in his home state of Virginia with the ACC’s Cavaliers.

According to the coach, the move instead had a lot to do with personnel instead of something personal.

“McCarron still has two years of eligibility,” Morgan said. “If it was the case where (McCarron) was a senior and Phillip had to sit one more year and then have two years, he wouldn’t leave. Let’s face it, they did win the national championship. So you’re not going to bench the quarterback who won the national title. And (Sims) doesn’t want to sit because he feels he’s just as good. So he has to go somewhere where he can play.”"

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This has got to infuriate some of UVA's quarterbacks-in-waiting.

Not only do they have a crowded QB roster, but now London is pulling guys in to the front of the line.