• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech - Club 216 Trash Talk Thread

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm curious whether or not Sims' so-called "hardship" waiver is going to be approved. If not, he'll have to sit a year based on the NCAA transfer rules.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, to be honest with you i could care less about baseball... I was just giving Jeffro a hard time. But with a little bit of research, I think the last time the Orioles finished above .500 in a season was 1997. :eek2: It can't be easy for an Orioles fan.

It's been a rough "couple" of years, I'll say that. We get our glimmers of hope every once in a while (like when Buck took over in '10 and finished the season with the league's best record), but it's to the point where I'm invested and when they do eventually turn it around, I want to be there and be a part of it.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seems to me the Phil Sims move can hurt uva in addition to helping them.

They get a quality quarterback, but they also show disloyalty to the guys they've already recruited, which doesn't say much for London. I have to believe he broke some promises with this move. Rocco has to be a bit angry.

Plus, their roster is filling up with quarterbacks. At the end of the day, they only need so many.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per DD of the Roanoke Times, he thinks Sims will most definitely have to sit a year. He hasn't heard anything of any "catastrophic" hardship so he thinks he will have sit this year. Assuming Rocco has a decent year and Sims just doesn't completely blow them away next spring..one would have to think (barring injury) that Rocco will be the starter in '13 as well. That gives Sims 1 year as starter.

I do have one question hopefully someone could answer. If Sims is not approved for the "waiver" he still gets to participate in fall practice as well as next spring..correct??? Just can't dress out for games I would suspect???

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I do have one question hopefully someone could answer. If Sims is not approved for the "waiver" he still gets to participate in fall practice as well as next spring..correct??? Just can't dress out for games I would suspect???

Correct. He can practice but can't play in the games....just like Benedict did this past year for Tech.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brad Franklin ‏ @Cavs_Corner
RT @JRowland_Rivals: #UVA QB commit Brendan Marshall is still solid after news of Phillip Sims transferring in.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per DD of the Roanoke Times, he thinks Sims will most definitely have to sit a year. He hasn't heard anything of any "catastrophic" hardship so he thinks he will have sit this year. Assuming Rocco has a decent year and Sims just doesn't completely blow them away next spring..one would have to think (barring injury) that Rocco will be the starter in '13 as well. That gives Sims 1 year as starter.

DD doesn't know his head from his ass. He reported last week that UVa has also accepted a commit from Sims brother, Zack Sims.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can never have to many QBs

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I would hope that Sims is granted his release and goes to UVA. I would like him back in the state of VA having a bad taste in his mouth about the out-of-state Big Time programs like Alabama, OSU (paging Curtis Grant), USC (paging Vidal Hazelton)... and then talk to local kids about how they're just another 5/4 star prospect in those programs, whereas they'd be local heroes if they stayed at home.

Just my thoughts... I think Sims return to VA can only help both programs (1. proving to current/future recruits that those big OOS programs sound nice, but might not be what they're expecting; 2. raising the level of competition in-state to raise the profile of VA in general).

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently that is the philosophy.

Maybe London has been playing too much fantasy football.

If that's the case, then wouldn't he have a stock-pile of RB's instead of QB's?

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
guys, london is just being smart. his QBs are going to have to face our DL. theres a good chance that they will need 7 healthy QBs

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt may be onto something here

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been out of the country, and this may be old news, but a lot of Hoos think they're getting Funderburk. Not happening. I bet any shred of guruness I have on it :)

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DD doesn't know his head from his ass. He reported last week that UVa has also accepted a commit from Sims brother, Zack Sims.

I am sure that was some sort of typo???

I wouldn't totally disagree with that statement Jeffro. I will say that in UVA world though, that he is probably as much of an insider as you can get (without truly being on the "inside"). He just stated that in his opinion, IF Sims had a "catastrophic" circumstance that warranted getting a waiver and being eligible right away..it probably would have somehow leaked by now. He, or some of his sources probably would have heard about it. With that being said, he thought Sims would NOT be eligible for this season. I'm not a huge fan of his, but I would put my money on DD, "all things UVA", before I would take anything anyone else said on the "outside"..looking in.

I am with Hokie200 FTR. I think it will be a good thing for both programs. The grass isn't always greener on the other said is what I think he was getting at.

PLus, It will give UVA fans more false hope (to boot) that they can overcome the years of being 2nd best in this state.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been out of the country, and this may be old news, but a lot of Hoos think they're getting Funderburk. Not happening. I bet any shred of guruness I have on it :)

It's down to UVa and Syracuse, and although it does appear that Syracuse is the front runner, I like our chances.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure that was some sort of typo???

I wouldn't totally disagree with that statement Jeffro. I will say that in UVA world though, that he is probably as much of an insider as you can get (without truly being on the "inside"). He just stated that in his opinion, IF Sims had a "catastrophic" circumstance that warranted getting a waiver and being eligible right away..it probably would have somehow leaked by now. He, or some of his sources probably would have heard about it. With that being said, he thought Sims would NOT be eligible for this season. I'm not a huge fan of his, but I would put my money on DD, "all things UVA", before I would take anything anyone else said on the "outside"..looking in.

I am with Hokie200 FTR. I think it will be a good thing for both programs. The grass isn't always greener on the other said is what I think he was getting at.

PLus, It will give UVA fans more false hope (to boot) that they can overcome the years of being 2nd best in this state.

Was it a typo? More than likely, but Doug Doubty has gotten consistently worse over the past couple of years. Doubty is not an insider. If he were, he would not need to be a member of Rivals and 247.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it a typo? More than likely, but Doug Doubty has gotten consistently worse over the past couple of years. Doubty is not an insider. If he were, he would not need to be a member of Rivals and 247.

Aww C'mon Jeffro. You don't honestly believe that Doughty, Bitter and every other NCAA football "beat" writer in America doesn't have access and follow some of these things through legit recruiting sources such as 247, Rivals, Scouts, etc. do you?? That doesn't necessarily mean that they (writers) don't have (as so many of you claim to have) "insider sources" on some of this information as well. You can't believe anything they say/report..but once again..I would put my money that he will not be playing this year. Here is a story on a recruit that wanted to go from Oklahoma to Kansas. No details about his situation, but obviously they were quite surprised by the decision, which leads me to believe the situation was grave enough to warrant granting him the waiver...

“I can only say that the University of Kansas felt the evidence was overwhelmingly in his favor,” Weis said. “I also do not understand why the NCAA had us appeal to the subcommittee only to have received the same answer with the same rationale.”

NCAA denies waiver for Kansas WR Justin McCay that would have allowed him to play in 2012 - The Washington Post