• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2014 Recruiting Target List

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also Worilds, although he was obviously an end at Tech. Should see Taylor land somewhere this year. Not a lot, but as HoHum said, hopefully the tide is turning there.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hughes and Anthony were big misses at LB IMO. We were in it until the final hour with them. They are looking very good at Clemson and UNC. Tyler, RVD, and the rest will be fine next year. After that...????

Bruce Taylor = London Fletchers replacement....He would be a mighty fine pickup in about the 5th round.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Bruce has the makeup or skill set to be optimized in a 3-4. He has 4-3 Mike written all over him.

I think that the loss of Edwards this year was the biggest single loss we had on defense and it took a good 8 games to get going without him. Taylor was not athletic enough to be running with guys in the slot and in the flats the way Edwards did. he was a weapon there. The drop off from Taylor to Tyler was significant but manageable at Mike. The drop from Edwards to Taylor was dramatic and screwed up both positions. I think Bud really mismanaged that.

I would have put Taylor back at Mike and tried to work JGW or someone over there at Backer.

Anyway, I digress. This year it will be Tyler and Edwards to start the season and Deon Clarke as the heir apparent at Backer. He was ready to go this year but they didn't want to waste a season on him as he was nursing an injury. At Mike, I think DVD has the makeup and the acquired size to get in there, but I would not be shocked to see another DE recruit step into that spot. We have a log jam at DE right now and Ken Ekanem has the skillset and awareness to give it a whirl there. He was also (like DVD) a Foster recruit. These guys will/should get into the rotation this year and moving forward. Add in Edmunds if he moves back (I don't think he will as it stands right now) and I like the LBs for the next couple years. We need some in this coming class though. I like our chances with one of the SC guys.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Edwards 100% ready to go? I hope its not a DJ Coles situation where he never gets back to where he was

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe with the old ass dead weight gone we can get some LBs in here. As some point though VT has to get an LB to stick in the NFL a while and contribute to have that to sell

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read that Jacob Park does have a VT offer, though the recruiting sites aren't reflecting this.

Also, per board on virginiatechfan.com:

"@DavidCornwell5: Offer from Virginia Tech #Blessed"

David Cornwell

Take a look at his offer page on 247: pretty easy to tell that this offer came from our new OC :)

Looks like Cornwell might be a Top 5 Pro-Style QB at that position next season. I would imagine the OU would be very high on his list and hard to beat when they come with an offer (being that Cornwell lives in Norman, OK). But then again, maybe the kid wants to get out of Norman and Oklahoma all together??

And I am with you Rob4. If this is the route that Loeffler is going to take with his QBs (pro-style) then Henderson definitely needs to be a priority when recruiting the QB position next year. He will easily be the best VA has to offer.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like Cornwell might be a Top 5 Pro-Style QB at that position next season. I would imagine the OU would be very high on his list and hard to beat when they come with an offer (being that Cornwell lives in Norman, OK). But then again, maybe the kid wants to get out of Norman and Oklahoma all together??

Well here's the thing. He's not an Oklahoma native and moved there during his sophomore season ... doesn't seem to be very high on OU or UT and neither have offered him yet. Went to Ponte Vedra high school in Jacksonville with Kyle Chung. Lefty must be pretty high on him and in good standing if he basically put the offer out immediately.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here's the thing. He's not an Oklahoma native and moved there during his sophomore season ... doesn't seem to be very high on OU or UT and neither have offered him yet. Went to Ponte Vedra high school in Jacksonville with Kyle Chung. Lefty must be pretty high on him and in good standing if he basically put the offer out immediately.

Good info. bruh. Would be a big get. 2014 may be a huge year if we can pull in these studs on both sides of the ball.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see a focus on pro-style QBs. For too long our offense has depended on a wizard at QB to constantly escape trouble and make plays with his feet.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see a focus on pro-style QBs. For too long our offense has depended on a wizard at QB to constantly escape trouble and make plays with his feet.

I like having a guy like LT that can tuck it and make the plays when he has to though.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Take the greatest quote "pro style" qb's in the game: Guys like manning and brady, now imagine if they could run a 4.3.

my point is that IMO having the ability to run and escape pressure or extend a play should never be looked at as a negative.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take the greatest quote "pro style" qb's in the game: Guys like manning and brady, now imagine if they could run a 4.3.

my point is that IMO having the ability to run and escape pressure or extend a play should never be looked at as a negative.

Shiiit, have them run a 4.5 and we are talking

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Certainly. I just feel like that has become a crutch of our offenses. I wan to focus on o-line play again and not being reliant on a mobile QB.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Certainly. I just feel like that has become a crutch of our offenses. I wan to focus on o-line play again and not being reliant on a mobile QB.

I hear ya but its not like having mike vick meant we werent working on OL play everyday in practice. FTR as long as we get back to winning, i dont care if we have beamer at QB. hahah.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anybody here really wants a statue lacking any real ability to escape pressure. But you can either a) go after a guy who's a good passer and a good enough scrambler or b) go after a guy who's a great scrambler that you think can become a good passer. We've typically done the latter. There's more risk (you could overestimate your ability to improve his passing, it could take longer than you'd hoped, etc.), but there's also more potential reward (if you can turn him into a great passer on top of his natural running ability...). Of course there are shades between a and b as you're evaluating unique individuals. I would not be against a strategy shift that saw us going after guys that are better HS passers as long as they're still decently mobile.

JP to VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey fellas, been reading these threads for about 3-4 months now but finally decided to start posting :cool2:

As mentioned earlier David Cornwell played with Kyle Chung at one point and I saw Kyle recruiting him to come to VT so I thought I'd post it.

Kyle's Tweets

@DavidCornwell5 Come on David play with me again! We can relive the good ole days at PV! #HokieNation

@DavidCornwell5 Tech's where it's at bro

@DavidCornwell5 look at the facts! We've been to bowl games for the past 20 yrs &have gone to the Acc championship 5 outta the last 6 yrs.

Hopefully this little connection between the two leads to him visiting VT :)

Oh yea, I'm a student (sophomore) so if there's something you want to know about current events on campus or anything that you'd think I would know that you are curious about feel free to ask!

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
welcome, JP! Thanks for the info.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JP,

Thanks for joining man. You and fellow students were my biggest target when we started to put a lot of stuff on SportsHoopla. We wanted a free resource that came as close to insider knkedge as we could. It is really based on all of us bring what we come across (twitter, Internet, rumors etc...) to share and you brought the goods today.

Keep posting and pass along the link to your friends.

How did you find us, if you don't mind me asking.

Welcome!!