• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2013 Recruiting Target List

darksideofthemoon73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Breakdown of 2013 IMO:
QB-2
RB-2
WR-2-3
OL-4-6
TE-2
DT-1
DE-1
LB-2
DB-2

looking at the future depth chart

QB - 1 (if Bucky)
RB - 1 + Jerome Wright
WR - 1 +Thomas Smith
OL - 4 + Adam Taraschke
TE - 1
DT - 2
DE - 2
LB -2
CB - 2

Last edited by a moderator:

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i am trying to look at this as unbiased as possible, but why wouldnt bucky hodges seriously consider us, if not sign with us? he could stay in VA where he would have instant celebrity status from everyone he passes everywhere/everyday, he will have seen Logan Thomas go from being a tight end and developed into a top 10 overall draft pick, and potentially in the heisman race, have a good shot at the starting QB for at least 3 years, and be on a very solid program that consistently is one of the best in the nation, that is taking the steps necessary to win it all.
It will be a fight, he is enamored with other big name schools tOSU, Clemson, etc

WmsbgHokieFan

Re-Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bucky is more of a Vick fan than a Hokies fan. If he were to bump into MV7 on campus, or feel like he'd be linked in with Vick-Tyrod-LT, it would work in our favor.

Didn't realize that. If that in fact continues to be the case, then I'm sure the staff will use that to our advantage. Vick seems to still be very appreciative of what VT has meant to him and has stuck by him through tough times as well. With his documented work with Tyrod pre-draft and continued support of VT, CFB, and the QB's following in his footsteps, I'm sure Vick would do what he could to help the staff woo Bucky at the appropriate times.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be a fight, he is enamored with other big name schools tOSU, Clemson, etc

I'm more worried about Clemson than tOSU from those 2. tOSU will have Braxton for 3 more years. Boyd will be gone in 2.

WmsbgHokieFan

Re-Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Breakdown of 2013 IMO:
QB-2
RB-2
WR-2-3
OL-4-6
TE-2
DT-1
DE-1
LB-2
DB-2

IMO, our priorities for '13 need to be:

#1 - Fuller
#2 - Bucky
#3 - 2-3 4*+ OL
#4 - 4*+ WR
#5 - Derrick Green

Who is the main recruiter for Fuller? Is that Foster's school? I hope so. I know it's not Shane's, Stiney's, or Gray's geographical area, but I hope one of the previous 4 mentioned coaches are on him. I just don't trust Wiles, Sherman, O'Cain, or Brown yet with a 5* recruit.

Let me mention that I'm not big on * ratings because I trust our staff's talent evaluation more than anything. I'm just noting it above because IMO it's imperative that we get 2-3 extremely solid OL this year along with 2-3 decent OL with potential to surprise. In a normal year, this would be my #1 priority this year, but I just couldn't put Fuller and Bucky below this. To beat Bama, Ohio St., and Wisconsin over the next 4-5 years, we not only have to get talented OL, but they must be mean and nasty (Jake Grove, Greg Nosal, Andrew Miller like), and they also are going to have to be big and strong as an ox in order for us to win the LOS battle. That will continue to be the biggest factor in these matchups. Having a 6'2" 285 lb. ferocious OL is better than having a 6'5" 305 lb. softie, but even the smaller ferocious OL can get worn down physically in the second half vs these DL we will be facing. We've got to start getting that big and ferocious guy.

I'm glad we landed Caleb this week, but I honestly am surprised we didn't get one of the other higher rated guys. I certainly hope that Irick, Smith, Stanford, and Greene can provide us our next Coale and Boykin type era. However, with Coles, Davis, and Roberts graduating after this year, I just don't have enough confidence YET that we're gonna be where we need to be in '13 with the WR classes of '11 and '12. I want to see us go hard this year to fill at least one of the two WR spots with a guy we know can play day 1.

On Derrick Green, I've read where many of the gurus here think he's headed out of state. My hopes are that with Shane recruiting the Richmond area, and with proof at VT and other schools (see UGA with Crowell and now Marshall and Gurley this year) that a top flight RB can join other top RB's even a year later. How do these facts and Shane's recruiting prowess stand against his chances to leave the state?

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
#3 - 2-3 4*+ OL

I'm just noting it above because IMO it's imperative that we get 2-3 extremely solid OL this year along with 2-3 decent OL with potential to surprise.

Just a quick FYI on the history of Tech's Rivals-rated 4-star OLs....

Since 2003, Tech has recruited seven 4-star OLs and had one transfer into the program: Tripp Carroll, Welsh, Aaron Brown, Dechristopher, Painter, Gibson, little brother Shuman, and UGA transferee Benedict. Out of those five players, only Dechristopher lived up to his potential, and the jury is still deliberating on Painter, Gibson, and Shuman. Reading good things about Benedict. Carroll and Welsh never contributed but did graduate. Brown left the program because of inuries.

Meanwhile, 2-star Ryan Shuman was a multi-year starter. Go figure, right? Converted 3-star TEs Duane Brown and Wang are playing in the NFL. Converted 3-star TE Warren was also a multi-year starter along with converted 2-star TE Nosal. Converted 2-star TE Lanier has also played well.

Let's go back a little farther...Montgomery was a walkon DL who was converted to the OL and is still playing in the NFL. Remington Trophy winner Jake Grove's only other offer was from VMI.

Only two OLs have transferred out of Tech's program since Coach Newsome took over in Jan 2006: Alvarez and Latif. No TEs have been converted to the OL since 2007 Class members Nosal and Lanier. Only Becton who was originally recruited for the DL was converted to the OL.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
...he will have seen Logan Thomas go from being a tight end...

In high school, LT played WR for a year before starting at QB for two years. He was recruited as a TE because he was projected at that position by Rivals and other recruiting services even though he had never played that position. He also refused to talk with any program that wanted to recruit him as a QB...he thought he was done with that position when he came out of high school.

So, LT had the basic QB tools when he got to Tech, but Coach O'Cain has done a great job developing him into a very good D1 QB. That's the success story we can sell to any high school QB...they see the results on the field every time Tech is televised.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just funny a guy that for a while refused to play QB basically will likely be an NFL QB one day.

WmsbgHokieFan

Re-Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
TAE, I was expecting a reply like yours and I mean that in a positive light. That's why I had to note that I trust our staff's evaluation much more than the * ratings. Most of those past OL (good and bad) were in my mind, and I probably wasn't clear enough with my thoughts.

I'm sure most would agree that we want to see as many OL in this class as possible that end up like Duane Brown, Nosal, Grove, Montgomery, Shuman, and DeChristopher. Over the years, VT has developed those guys from 2*'s, 4*'s, and TE's as you noted above.

The emphasis I am trying to say, is that we need probably at least 3 of the '13 OL to develop and play like Brown, Nosal, Grove, etc. If we are going to beat a Top 5 SEC or B1G team in the next 4-5 years and make a legitimate NC run, my opinion is that we need a mix of a RB (like Suggs/Jones/Williams/Wilson), a QB (like Vick/Tyrod/LT), an OL (with 3-4 guys like Brown/Nosal/Grove/Montgomery/Shuman/DeChristopher), and a Top 10 Bud Foster defense. I won't say that we can't have 1 game that we win with less than that, but I believe that combination as the same time is what we need to have a more than 50% chance to beat Bama, OSU, Wisky consistently (whether it be a regular season OOC game or a BCS game).

WmsbgHokieFan

Re-Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In high school, LT played WR for a year before starting at QB for two years. He was recruited as a TE because he was projected at that position by Rivals and other recruiting services even though he had never played that position. He also refused to talk with any program that wanted to recruit him as a QB...he thought he was done with that position when he came out of high school.

So, LT had the basic QB tools when he got to Tech, but Coach O'Cain has done a great job developing him into a very good D1 QB. That's the success story we can sell to any high school QB...they see the results on the field every time Tech is televised.

That's probably one of the currently most underrated points that the staff I'm sure is using more and more. IMO, O'Cain also did a great job in developing Tyrod from year to year. I think where Tyrod is today and where LT is and going is HUGE, and should only help with Bucky. Great point TAE and hopefully O'Cain will have plenty of time with Bucky during the recruiting process along with Stiney and Newsome.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL evaluation seems like it is the most difficult out of high school. A lot that Rivals and others seem to base their rankings on are strength and size numbers. So we see 4-stars like Painter who are physical freaks but haven't been able to put it on the field. However, we also get 2-stars and 3-stars that we put in the weight room for 3 years and they are ready to go. I've learned to not look at star ratings of O-line. Aside from the top top OL, we really don't know how good a player will be until their r-So year usually.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's probably one of the currently most underrated points that the staff I'm sure is using more and more. IMO, O'Cain also did a great job in developing Tyrod from year to year. I think where Tyrod is today and where LT is and going is HUGE, and should only help with Bucky. Great point TAE and hopefully O'Cain will have plenty of time with Bucky during the recruiting process along with Stiney and Newsome.

O'Cain took a ton of heat from the fans in his first couple of years at Tech, but he's proven he knows what he's doing. Glad you brought up Tyrod's development!

I really don't think Tyrod would have been drafted as a QB if O'Cain hadn't developed TT's ability to read defenses and throw the ball much more accurately. The fact that the Ravens didn't acquire any other QB to back-up Flacco is testament to that development. That's a good selling point, too.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

couldn't agree more TAE -- Like I said, those skills can be tweaked with good development, reps, coaching

It's much harder to teach speed, weight, height .. general athleticism .. Which brings me to something that I was thinking about the other day .. With O'Cain's ability to develop a QB and if his play-calling skills get better and VT's offense is successful, can we hold on to him??

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
couldn't agree more TAE -- Like I said, those skills can be tweaked with good development, reps, coaching

It's much harder to teach speed, weight, height .. general athleticism .. Which brings me to something that I was thinking about the other day .. With O'Cain's ability to develop a QB and if his play-calling skills get better and VT's offense is successful, can we hold on to him??

At the start of the 2011 season I was hoping we could have LT as a starter for three years. But, he played so well in 2011 that I'm seriously concerned he could be a top QB pick in the draft at the end of 2012 if he has a good year. At that point, I don't think we can hold on to him...but he might pull a Luck and stay another year.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just funny a guy that for a while refused to play QB basically will likely be an NFL QB one day.

his money will go up by like 20 million. assuming he keeps moving in the direction i expect him to. he will owe ocainspring big time for making him play qb.

i have, however, tried to picture the convo... something like this maybe?

BS/MO "Logan, we want you to play Qb for us"
LT "No! I want to play TE!"
BS/MO "youd rather play TE than QB?!"
LT "Yes! I would rather get 2-3 catches a game and only be known by name by those who follow the team religiously. I dont want to be the king of campus, or have celebrity status everywhere I go, or have all the girls want me!!!"

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the start of the 2011 season I was hoping we could have LT as a starter for three years. But, he played so well in 2011 that I'm seriously concerned he could be a top QB pick in the draft at the end of 2012 if he has a good year. At that point, I don't think we can hold on to him...but he might pull a Luck and stay another year.

Unless he has a absolutely FANTASTIC year and progresses even further by leaps and bounds, I wouldn't expect LT to go in the 1st round next year. USC-w and Barkley has already pretty well locked up the top spot at QB and L. Jones, T. Wilson, T. Bray, and are all very much on the radar. Looking at right now, if he stays an extra year and has 2 VERY good seasons and mature as a QB, he has a chance to be the top QB taken. But....a NC/Heisman campaign and a Cam Newton like season could change all that..