• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2013 Recruiting Target List

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a reminder to anyone who read my post about Tech's walkon QBs...it was just the reminder of something that COULD happen, not that it will. But, the possibility is there, however slight.

Here's another personal opinion...the Tech football world won't end if Bucky Hodges takes his game to another program. Knowing that QB is a priority for 2013, I bet the staff has already compiled a list of QB recruits they want to pursue, in addition to the three they've already offered (Hodges, Parker, and Jennings) according to the Rivals FREE recruit database.

I know, I wasn't trying to argue with you or anything. I do agree something could happen and if it does that is awesome.

A big year by LT could put us in a better position for QBs since we are usually looked at as a running program even though we do throw a good bit.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a reminder to anyone who read my post about Tech's walkon QBs...it was just the reminder of something that COULD happen, not that it will. But, the possibility is there, however slight.

Here's another personal opinion...the Tech football world won't end if Bucky Hodges takes his game to another program. Knowing that QB is a priority for 2013, I bet the staff has already compiled a list of QB recruits they want to pursue, in addition to the three they've already offered (Hodges, Parker, and Jennings) according to the Rivals FREE recruit database.

Poop.

That's just a reminder that no one should take message board chatter too seriously. I get you're point. But...

Poop.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know, I wasn't trying to argue with you or anything. I do agree something could happen and if it does that is awesome.

A big year by LT could put us in a better position for QBs since we are usually looked at as a running program even though we do throw a good bit.

The problem we'll probably have for 2013 QB recruiting is almost identical to the one we faced in 1999 and 2000 with Michael Vick. QBs just did not want to come to Tech with the idea they would have to ride the pine for a couple of years. But, he did jump to the League in 2000 and we had to start a dinged-up Grant Noel in 2001 with true freshman Bryan Randall as his back-up.

So, will LT play well enough in 2013 to be able to go pro or will he stay for 2014? If he does go pro, Mark Leal will be our starter in 2014. The nice part about that is the fact that Leal has MUCH better QB skills than Noel had in 2001. But who starts in 2015? That has to be answered with how well Motley performs or how well we recruit QBs in 2013.

WmsbgHokieFan

Re-Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1. Welcome to the board.

2. That is a very good question. There are a coule of other 2013 quarterbacks in Virginia, but they do not all have offers at this point. In addition, we have offered Parker and Ferguson from North Carolina, and Anthony Jennings from Georgia who all kind of fit the Virginia Tech QB mold (dual threat) but on the smaller side.

Thanks 46. I've really enjoyed reading Hokie insight via twitter from you, evan, and jermadams. That's how I found this board and have enjoyed it as well.

As far as future QB's go, thanks for answering my question. Time will tell how we do here. I, like everyone here, hope Bucky picks us. Not just because of his talent, but because I agree with recent comments from a few folks that the dual threat QB with size (similar to LT) is the best for the future of the VT QB as well as college and pro football. Even more so than Vick, and Cam Newton performed this way in his rookie season, but LT and RGIII are the examples I like best when it comes to a sizeable QB that wants to throw first but does have a ability to get away from these freakish 6'5" 280 lb. DE's raising havoc these days.

Bucky, being a longtime Hokie fan (from what I've read) will help for a bit, but as his recruitment gets crazier, I think that the biggest thing that will help him want to be a Hokie is if LT has a huge year. This could potentially provide even earlier PT for Bucky, but more importantly LT being in the heisman and potential 1st round draft discussions could prove that Bucky can hit the ultimate goals of a QB as VT's next great QB.

If it all doesn't work out this way, then maybe we'll have LT for his full eligibility, and I still think Mark Leal would be a really solid starter for a couple of years.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With signing a solid QB being a big need for '13, and with Bucky Hodges being as highly recruited as he is and is going to be, what are the staff's next QB's they would want after Bucky?
Bucky will be the #1 QB target next year, but I could also see Jennings and Speight from the collegiate school up near the top of the board

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know our coaches have regions they are assigned to for recruiting, but I think Beamer should stick our best recruiters on the most important prospects. Newsome assigned to Bucky concerns me. :confused2:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I know our coaches have regions they are assigned to for recruiting, but I think Beamer should stick our best recruiters on the most important prospects. Newsome assigned to Bucky concerns me. :confused2:

But its not like Newsome will be the only one contacting Hodges. Stiney and Ocain will play a big part in his recruitment also. FWIW im pretty sure that Newsome was TT primary recruiter.

WmsbgHokieFan

Re-Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bucky will be the #1 QB target next year, but I could also see Jennings and Speight from the collegiate school up near the top of the board

Thanks Evan. Besides Bucky, my next target would probably be Speight. As much as the dual threat QB has done well at VT, the better throwers (LT, Tyrod) have had more success IMO. Unless Stinespring switches to a spread offense (I'll see pigs fly first) I think a more pro-style QB like Speight would do better in VT's pro-style offense than a guy like Jennings or Parker. I guess what I'm saying is that Speight would be my #2 guy right now from what I've seen (very little so far).

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

JMHO, but I believe Newsome takes some unfair shots, especially when it comes to recruiting. This is a list of his recruits since he arrived in Jan 2006:

-----
J.C. Coleman (arrived early)
Der'Woun Greene (just signed LOI)
Alston Smith (just signed LOI)
Thomas Smith (will prep - arrive Jan 2013)

-----
Dewayne Alford (Arrived this month)
Michael Holmes (Probably starter at RB in 2012)

-----
Nick Acree (Will compete for 2-deep)
Nick Dew (Will compete for 2-deep/starter)
Dominique Patterson (Haven't heard or read much lately)

-----
Telvion Clark (2-deep, possible starter)
Tyrel Wilson (2-deep)

-----
Xavier Boyce (suspended indefinitely)
Marcus Davis (probable starter in 2012)
Randall Dunn (depth at TE)
Lyndell Gibson (transferred)
Tony Gregory (coming off ACL surgery/rehab)
Joe Jones (left program - injuries)
Vinston Painter (will compete for starting job)

-----
Collin Carroll (starter as snapper - graduated)
Greg Nosal (starter as OG - graduated)
Tyrod Taylor (starter as QB)

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newsome does most of the 757 recruiting along with Stinespring

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMHO, but I believe Newsome takes some unfair shots, especially when it comes to recruiting. This is a list of his recruits since he arrived in Jan 2006:

-----

didnt dominique patterson leave the program after the season?

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bucky is more of a Vick fan than a Hokies fan. If he were to bump into MV7 on campus, or feel like he'd be linked in with Vick-Tyrod-LT, it would work in our favor.

WmsbgHokieFan

Re-Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

-----
J.C. Coleman (arrived early)
Der'Woun Greene (just signed LOI)
Alston Smith (just signed LOI)
Thomas Smith (will prep - arrive Jan 2013)

-----
Dewayne Alford (Arrived this month)
Michael Holmes (Probably starter at RB in 2012)

-----

-----
Telvion Clark (2-deep, possible starter)
Tyrel Wilson (2-deep)

-----
Xavier Boyce (suspended indefinitely)
Marcus Davis (probable starter in 2012)
Randall Dunn (depth at TE)
Lyndell Gibson (transferred)
Tony Gregory (coming off ACL surgery/rehab)
Joe Jones (left program - injuries)
Vinston Painter (will compete for starting job)

-----
Collin Carroll (starter as snapper - graduated)
Greg Nosal (starter as OG - graduated)
Tyrod Taylor (starter as QB)

I agree about Coach Newsome getting some unfair shots. I'm a JMU grad and played football there in '99 and '00 (Coach Newsome and Mickey Matthews first 2 years at JMU). Coach Newsome was my DL coach.

Anyways, he's not only a great man, but a really good coach and recruiter as well. We all know his roots are on the peninsula, and he's honestly always done fairly well there. Most of his knocks come about the "other side of the water" (Norfolk, Beach, Southside), but you will see kids from those areas as well looking at TAE's info above.

Let's be honest, we know that the main (or one of the main) reason(s) that Coach Newsome was hired by CFB was to boost recruiting, specifically in the 757 area. There have been some gems (i.e. Tyrod) from the Peninsula over the past 1/2 decade, but the talent on the Peninsula has really downgraded overall since the middle of the last decade (about after X. Adibi). Phoebus, Hampton, Kecoughtan, Bethel, etc. have put out a few gems, but the quantity of quality talent hasn't been what it was. It has and will continue to take some relationship building with the Norfolk, Beach, Southside coaches, but I believe he's getting better over there. And we know that Stiney assisting Newsome in those geographical areas will only help our chances there. Bucky is the ultimate test this year!

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am trying to look at this as unbiased as possible, but why wouldnt bucky hodges seriously consider us, if not sign with us? he could stay in VA where he would have instant celebrity status from everyone he passes everywhere/everyday, he will have seen Logan Thomas go from being a tight end and developed into a top 10 overall draft pick, and potentially in the heisman race, have a good shot at the starting QB for at least 3 years, and be on a very solid program that consistently is one of the best in the nation, that is taking the steps necessary to win it all.