• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2013 Recruiting Target List

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i really think the only ones that have an actual shot to leave early and get drafted barring absolute monster seasons would be LT3, exum, and fuller. collins and gayle i just dont see as having a real shot unless one of them has a monster year.

I could actually see both Collins and Gayle having monster years. Just gotta stay healthy. The D is gonna be so dominant.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fisher, Reid, Teller are all pretty big leans. Someone mentioned Rolin and he may but I don't know myself.

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Michigan offered Matt Rolin per his rivals page. And does he really have an offer from Washington? I didnt think they went after many VA kids.

The coach who offered him at Washington was also the same coach who offered him first at Tennessee.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i really think the only ones that have an actual shot to leave early and get drafted barring absolute monster seasons would be LT3, exum, and fuller. collins and gayle i just dont see as having a real shot unless one of them has a monster year.
Gayle could go but as always it depends on how he performs this year

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it's realistic to think that bucky, kendall, all the other GC kids, Marquez North, and Jabo Lee could all commit to us this week

WmsbgHokieFan

Re-Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With signing a solid QB being a big need for '13, and with Bucky Hodges being as highly recruited as he is and is going to be, what are the staff's next QB's they would want after Bucky?

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it's realistic to think that bucky, kendall, all the other GC kids, Marquez North, and Jabo Lee could all commit to us this week

Even if they did commit to us, they would probably blue us a year later and sign elsewhere.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just a reminder, we did land a pretty good walk-on QB in 2011: Brian Rody, a 6' 6", 217 pounder from Stone Bridge. I'm interested in seeing how he performs in the Spring.

We also have another pretty good preferred walk-on QB arriving in the Fall: All-Met selection Connor Jessop, a 6' 4", 210 pounder from Broad Run.

If either one of these guys proves they're good enough to earn a scholarship we may fill a potential gap in our QB recruiting.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a reminder, we did land a pretty good walk-on QB in 2011: Brian Rody, a 6' 6", 217 pounder from Stone Bridge. I'm interested in seeing how he performs in the Spring.

We also have another pretty good preferred walk-on QB arriving in the Fall: All-Met selection Connor Jessop, a 6' 4", 210 pounder from Broad Run.

If either one of these guys proves they're good enough to earn a scholarship we may fill a potential gap in our QB recruiting.

I understand this, but a school like VT shouldn't be relying on walk-on talent to play starting quarterback, ever.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With signing a solid QB being a big need for '13, and with Bucky Hodges being as highly recruited as he is and is going to be, what are the staff's next QB's they would want after Bucky?

1. Welcome to the board.

2. That is a very good question. There are a coule of other 2013 quarterbacks in Virginia, but they do not all have offers at this point. In addition, we have offered Parker and Ferguson from North Carolina, and Anthony Jennings from Georgia who all kind of fit the Virginia Tech QB mold (dual threat) but on the smaller side.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still waiting on a Tech offer... I'm not sure what the hold-up might be...

other than my age, height, athletic ability, health (back problems now) and complete lack of college eligibility. I'd still commit immediately if offered... to the program's and my detriment.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I understand this, but a school like VT shouldn't be relying on walk-on talent to play starting quarterback, ever.

Your comment seems a little odd considering the success Tech has had with walk-ons at other positions. Why should the position of QB be exempt from that success?

Given the way Coach O'Cain helped Tyrod in his development, and has been solely responsible for LT's development, it's not outside the realm of possibility, to me at least, that Rody or Jessop could be successful at Tech. I bet Coach O'Cain is having similar thoughts.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your comment seems a little odd considering the success Tech has had with walk-ons at other positions. Why should the position of QB be exempt from that success?

Given the way Coach O'Cain helped Tyrod in his development, and has been solely responsible for LT's development, it's not outside the realm of possibility, to me at least, that Rody or Jessop could be successful at Tech. I bet Coach O'Cain is having similar thoughts.

There is usually a reason a QB is not offered. If he turns down other scholarships to walk on at his school of choice that may be different though. Other positions guys don't get the offers because of size, exposure, and certain positions just aren't talked about as much. If there is a good QB in the region, people know. If he was not good enough out of high school to be wanted as a team's future QB then the odds of developing into a starter are not that great.
I agree it is not outside the realm of possibility but odds are the 3 or 4 star recruit will develop better than the walk on. I have nothing against a guy being a walk on and beating out the competition because he was overlooked in HS or it just clicked for him finally.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with exactly what Nick said.

While we all love the Cody Grimm story, for every 1 of those, there are 12+ walk-ons (less kickers) that never even end up dressing. And QB is a little different than some guy who walked and ended up playing special teams or a year on O or D.

Tyrod and LT are terrible examples to give when relating to a walk on, because both were 5 and 4* recruits who had laundry lists of offers and freakish amounts of god-given athleticism.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'd tend to agree

the odds of a walk-on QB every becoming a GREAT starter are not great. Given LT was raw out of high school with just a few yrs experience at QB (as far as I know), he was pretty much a HIGH 4* recruit. I hope I'm wrong. That being said, I feel like a QB like LT is a much better fit for VT in the future.

We've had some great QBs but I think the BIG, bruising QBs (6'5" 220 types) like Newton/LT who are "dual threat" but not in a dancing around way offsets some of our other shortcomings -- if they're used appropriately.

Even if the QB recruit's skillset (passing, reads) isn't up to snuff, O'Cain can develop that. It's much harder to add weight, height, athleticism. Bucky will be hard to get but he should be THE HIGHEST PRIORITY

Just my opinion

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just a reminder to anyone who read my post about Tech's walkon QBs...it was just the reminder of something that COULD happen, not that it will. But, the possibility is there, however slight.

Here's another personal opinion...the Tech football world won't end if Bucky Hodges takes his game to another program. Knowing that QB is a priority for 2013, I bet the staff has already compiled a list of QB recruits they want to pursue, in addition to the three they've already offered (Hodges, Parker, and Jennings) according to the Rivals FREE recruit database.