• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2013 Recruiting Target List

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Coach Sherman was at Mallard Creek and Vance HS yesterday visiting some 4* recruits, and Coach Brown was at Immaculata in NJ visiting Tashawn Bower FWIW

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like both Hodges and Parker. It's a shame one of them will have to be on the sidelines but maybe they will turn Parker into a WR if he doesn't get the starting job. I don't know what I'd do but Parker should not be on the sidelines his whole time at VT. I have mixed feelings. On the one hand you need a good backup QB but you also don't want to waste talent. I also don't want a Tyrod/Glennon type platoon. Who knows how it will play out

Did you watch Parkers film as a sophmore? As a QB, he sees very well. He spots receivers with a step advantage very quickly, and hits them in stride. Release is quick, which speaks to his pure athleticism. His 50 yard plus passes look more like hail Mary's, but they still get there, and he was only 16 on those films. Very impressive field vision. As a runner, he is a man among boys. His juke at full speed cannot be coached. He loses nothing when he cuts, other than his pursuit. His first step is Quick, with a capital Q. This kind of film package strikes fear into the opponents, who have to respect both his vision, his arm, and his legs. He creates a split second of hesitation on the D, and thats an advantage even before the snap. I can't wait to see his senior season film. Next fall will be quite interesting. I would hate to see Parkers talent as a runner only utilized a handful of times per game, which would be the case at WR. As much as the idea displeases me, if Hodges beats Parker out, I would rather see Parker in the backfield, as a wildcat RB/QB.

But furst, Hodges will need to beat out Parker, and to do so, he will have to be better than amazing.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Hamilton is headed OOS.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Storms don't ruin VT's big weekend - ACC Blog - ESPN

Some cool tidbits in there

Hooker praised Beamer's attention to detail in recruiting, saying the 26-year Virginia Tech coach locks in on the right fits for the program who make good on their words.

The Hokies' classes may not rank up there with Florida State's and Clemson's every year, but it is hardly an obstacle to overcome for a school that has won four of the last eight ACC titles.

"The thing to remember with Virginia Tech is I don't think they have to have the top-rated class to win titles," Hooker said. "A combination of recruiting and player development is the key to their success."

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Very happy Speight reclassified. Kid is going to be very good and he's getting essentially an extra year to boot. Loves VT and will basically commit the second the offer comes in and I doubt he cares about the guys ahead of him.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Did you watch Parkers film as a sophmore? As a QB, he sees very well. He spots receivers with a step advantage very quickly, and hits them in stride. Release is quick, which speaks to his pure athleticism. His 50 yard plus passes look more like hail Mary's, but they still get there, and he was only 16 on those films. Very impressive field vision. As a runner, he is a man among boys. His juke at full speed cannot be coached. He loses nothing when he cuts, other than his pursuit. His first step is Quick, with a capital Q. This kind of film package strikes fear into the opponents, who have to respect both his vision, his arm, and his legs. He creates a split second of hesitation on the D, and thats an advantage even before the snap. I can't wait to see his senior season film. Next fall will be quite interesting. I would hate to see Parkers talent as a runner only utilized a handful of times per game, which would be the case at WR. As much as the idea displeases me, if Hodges beats Parker out, I would rather see Parker in the backfield, as a wildcat RB/QB.

But furst, Hodges will need to beat out Parker, and to do so, he will have to be better than amazing.
So you like Parker? The thing is that I'm hoping that Hodges wins the job because he doesn't have another position. I suppose they could stick him at TE but I think he'd transfer first. Neither one would probably like a position change but at least Parker would make a good WR and he could possibly go along with it. I don't think a platoon is good for player development and would scare off future recruits even if it was temporarily a positive for the team

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Not much at all. :(

Just hoping he notices that a certain school has yet to have a player drafted...

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Taquan Mizzell considered by many to be a VA lean?

After his performance at the Top Gun camp last summer, he was interviewed by Sporting News and had this to say?

"I grew up watching Virginia Tech a lot, and I'm a big fan of them, so I wanted that offer kind of bad," Mizzell told Sporting News Friday. "It's the same thing with UVA (Virginia). I like them a lot because their coaches are cool ... and the atmosphere at Tennessee is way different. I love it there also. I love all the schools that I have right now."

Read more: Taquan Mizzell turning heads at Top Gun Camp - NCAA Football - Sporting News

He sure sounds like a Tech fan to me, and his comments regarding Virginia could simply have been nothing more than an attempt on his part to seem open to all schools, but Im thinking his heart is really in Blacksburg.

In my mind, he is a Va Tech lean, and we should all start thinking that way (cosmic vibes can only help the situation)

And, where there's smoke, there's Blanding.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why is Taquan Mizzell considered by many to be a VA lean?

After his performance at the Top Gun camp last summer, he was interviewed by Sporting News and had this to say?

"I grew up watching Virginia Tech a lot, and I'm a big fan of them, so I wanted that offer kind of bad," Mizzell told Sporting News Friday. "It's the same thing with UVA (Virginia). I like them a lot because their coaches are cool ... and the atmosphere at Tennessee is way different. I love it there also. I love all the schools that I have right now."

Read more: Taquan Mizzell turning heads at Top Gun Camp - NCAA Football - Sporting News

He sure sounds like a Tech fan to me, and his comments regarding Virginia could simply have been nothing more than an attempt on his part to seem open to all schools, but Im thinking his heart is really in Blacksburg.

In my mind, he is a Va Tech lean, and we should all start thinking that way (cosmic vibes can only help the situation)

And, where there's smoke, there's Blanding.

He goes to Bayside, where he'll be "influenced" to go to UVA.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tumblr_lq7k0dSRf31qknlic.gif

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Him and JC are very close but he will be pushed to uva or oos by the Bayside coach...

And thats why I think he qualified his statement, to include VA (to placate his coach, and come off as being magnanimous)

The coach wont be playing or influencing him in college. This kid has dreamed of going to Tech, which seems to be his favorite college football team, and he doesn't strike me as a lunatic, who will go where his coach wants, instead of where he wants, and where mom and the rest of the 757 can watch him play. I don't see him going OOS, not for the reasons you proffer. If he had dreams of Notre Dame, or something similar, that would make sense. But, to go OOS because his HS coach doesn't like Tech? No way. The kid has worked too hard to be that stupid.

For all the right reasons, I see VT as the leader here.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And thats why I think he qualified his statement, to include VA (to placate his coach, and come off as being magnanimous)

The coach wont be playing or influencing him in college. This kid has dreamed of going to Tech, which seems to be his favorite college football team, and he doesn't strike me as a lunatic, who will go where his coach wants, instead of where he wants, and where mom and the rest of the 757 can watch him play. I don't see him going OOS, not for the reasons you proffer. If he had dreams of Notre Dame, or something similar, that would make sense. But, to go OOS because his HS coach doesn't like Tech? No way. The kid has worked too hard to be that stupid.

For all the right reasons, I see VT as the leader here.

I think you're underestimating the impact coaches have with these kids. The recruiting process can be very overwhelming for kids, so coaches are there to help provide guidance. Also, college coaches are limited to how often they can call kids. Instead, they communicate through the high school coach. I don't know the ins and outs of recruiting to say that high school coaches will limit who can communicate with their players, but I know there have been scenarios where kids are offered weeks in advance, but their coach holds off in telling them.

And its not just coaches. It's former teammates who are now with UVA who can help persuade a recruit to a school too. Bayside is very pro UVA, so while Mizzell may not go to UVA in the end, he will most likely not end up at VT. He may go OOS, but that's a better bet than VT.