• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume you're talking about OLs Conte (NR), and Taraschke (2*)?

I personally don't much stock in the player ratings provided by the recruiting services. If the coaching staff likes what they see when they evaluate OLs in camp, that's good enough for me.

On the whole, recruiting OLs is pretty difficult. We've recruited 4* OLs in the past that didn't work out (Aaron Brown, Tripp Carroll, Matt Welsh), and one that did (Dechristopher). The jury is still out on 4* OL recruits Painter, Shuman, and Lawrence Gibson, as well as UGA transferee Brent Benedict (2010 4*).

We've also converted 2* TEs currently starting as OLs (Nosal, Lanier). Jake Grove was offered by only one other school, VMI, and look how he turned out. Will Montgomery was a walkon DL who was offered a scholie and switched to the OL...he's still playing in the NFL.

Duane Brown was an NFL 1st-rounder who was a 3* TE converted to the OL; Ed Wang was a Gatorade Player of the Year as a 3* TE who converted to the OL and was drafted by the NFL; Frye was a converted DE who was also drafted by the NFL.

AWESOME POST. Agree 1,000%

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If you enroll early does it count against the previous year? I always though it still counts to 2012. Similar to the greyshirting players taking a semester off and enrolling in the spring counts towards 2013.

Dr. Ballein, the Wizard of Merryman, earns his keep with his ability to keep the numbers straight and assign the players to the correct classes. Whatever they're paying him is not enough!

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TAE, nice response. My concern is that other big programs are not seeing what we are seeing. Could be a great thing or it could be a reason they weren't getting the recognition. Oh the risks of recruiting

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Tucker | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

"Consider also that Tech is among the leaders for No. 1 Joel Caleb (WR), No. 6 Ken Ekanem (DE), No. 7 Trey Edmunds (LB) and No. 8 Korren Kirven (DT). The Hokies are widely regarded as the clear frontrunner for Caleb and Kirven and are in nearly as good shape for Edmunds."

Always nice to hear

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no greater gamble in college football recruiting than on the offensive line. Kids grow, and size is a bigger factor here than anywhere else. In addition, passing is less frequent in the HS game and pass blocking in most cases is rudimentary at best. This is the one position where I put very little stock in star ratings, and am happy with a 60% success rate from our coaches. It is just so hard.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dr. Ballein, the Wizard of Merryman, earns his keep with his ability to keep the numbers straight and assign the players to the correct classes. Whatever they're paying him is not enough!

In either case, they can be counted for either year. That is where the real numbers magic happens.

Thanks for the clarification! Wasn't sure they all worked out. Sounds like theres quite a lot of flexbility in it all.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of Nixon being convinced to switch to UVA he needs to get Moore to switch to VT.

Question on Caleb. I haven't seen any of his film yet so for those of you who have, what makes him so special? I see he has some size but from what i've seen he is a 4.6-4.7 speed guy. Does he have slow straight line speed but plays with great game speed?(football speed) I know that speed isn't the only thing that makes a guy good but being the top prospect in the state 4.7 seems odd. Also he is listed as an ATH. Anyone know what VT is looking at him as? WR, Safety, WHIP?

Last edited by a moderator:

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of the free side article from R***** on Sheldon Day.

He did have a fairly specific list for which teams would get his five official visits, although the visits read like a sports fanatic road trip.

"Michigan for the Notre Dame game, Auburn for the Alabama game, Virginia Tech for the North Carolina game, Tennessee for the LSU game, and Stanford for the Oregon game," Day said.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of the free side article from R***** on Sheldon Day.

He did have a fairly specific list for which teams would get his five official visits, although the visits read like a sports fanatic road trip.

"Michigan for the Notre Dame game, Auburn for the Alabama game, Virginia Tech for the North Carolina game, Tennessee for the LSU game, and Stanford for the Oregon game," Day said.

Well if he picks his school based on which team wins their game, looks like he'll be coming to Tech haha

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cody Blanc verbals to Tennessee....not a surprise at all.

@AustinPriceless Austin Price
Tennessee adds another commitment in the form of Knoxville's Cody Blanc. Story at Volquest.com

1 hour ago

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of Nixon being convinced to switch to UVA he needs to get Moore to switch to VT.

Question on Caleb. I haven't seen any of his film yet so for those of you who have, what makes him so special? I see he has some size but from what i've seen he is a 4.6-4.7 speed guy. Does he have slow straight line speed but plays with great game speed?(football speed) I know that speed isn't the only thing that makes a guy good but being the top prospect in the state 4.7 seems odd. Also he is listed as an ATH. Anyone know what VT is looking at him as? WR, Safety, WHIP?

wide receiver im pretty sure

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
On caleb im pretty sure that it has been stated that he will have his choice between DB or WR. I think he is an offensive minded guy so he is picking WR. FWIW though, imo he could be a faster Chancellor clone if he played safety.

As far as the speed thing, i think he ran a low 4.6 in oregon <----may be wrong on that but i think thats right, also Caleb seems to have that "quick twitch" that is more/just as important as 40 speed.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With his size I would like to see him at safety. We are bringing in some big (size wise) receivers in this class already so safety could be a good fit sitting around 6'2" 225 when he bulks up.