• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW

"McKinnon currently bench presses 350 pounds, squats 440, and was recently timed at 4.41 in the forty yard dash"

Could be a beast. Need someone with strength for run defense and shedding blocks.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or does Dahman look like Macho's long lost brother?

Attachments

• 937608.jpg
    937608.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 15

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Taraschke set to visit tomorrow, I'm assuming that means he is probably going to be making a commitment then???

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Taraschke set to visit tomorrow, I'm assuming that means he is probably going to be making a commitment then???

Yeah, to us, but he will likely be a greyhirt if Pyke commits, maybe even if not. Our need at O Line is not immediate. It is a couple years down the line, so spreading the schollys around may be beneficial.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that DD's personal opinion, or did he claim to have a source?

Conte mentioned that they had discussed the possibility of him going to FUMA for a semester to work on technique and that if the coaches thought that it was a good idea, he was all for it. I think that his HS team never passed the ball, so they wanted to look at his pass blocking stuff. If a semester with Coach Shuman would help.....I am all for it.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beamer had said their offense had gotten behind because of poor recruiting for the OL but we are offering and getting commits from 2 star players for the OL. Doesn't that seem to be repeating history?

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Conte mentioned that they had discussed the possibility of him going to FUMA for a semester to work on technique and that if the coaches thought that it was a good idea, he was all for it. I think that his HS team never passed the ball, so they wanted to look at his pass blocking stuff. If a semester with Coach Shuman would help.....I am all for it.

Makes sense...thanks!

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm always in favor of O-Line greyshirting. It's veryyy rare for a commit to come in and contribute right away on the O-Line. Why not take a semester to add some weight and muscle to get on the NCAA level. Get an extra year of eligibility, too. I remember Caleb Farris said how beneficial he thought his greyshirt season was. I know most players want to get in there with the coaches right away, but greyshirting for some players is a better option.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

If Conte, T. Smith, and one or two others end up prepping or grayshirting, and we end up having two or three guys on early arrival, the numbers for the 2012 Class are going to work out very well. Makes lots of room for some of the guys stretching out their recruitment.

For instance, at the current time we have 22 verbals + 1 transfer:

23 total
-3 prep or grayshirt to count against 2013
------------------
-3 early entry and Benedict to count against 2011
------------------
16 for regular arrival in Aug-Sep 2012

That allows 9 more verbals for the 2012 Class

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm always in favor of O-Line greyshirting. It's veryyy rare for a commit to come in and contribute right away on the O-Line. Why not take a semester to add some weight and muscle to get on the NCAA level. Get an extra year of eligibility, too. I remember Caleb Farris said how beneficial he thought his greyshirt season was. I know most players want to get in there with the coaches right away, but greyshirting for some players is a better option.

I agree. Outside BDC, it has been a while since we had an OL play and contribute as a freshman. Brooks started to OB but really came into his own the following year.

We needed O Line bad in this class, but more for 2014-15 than right now.

A two deep of:

LT: Lanier/Becton
LG: Nosal/Wang
C: Miller/Via
RG: Brooks/Painter
RT: BDC/Shuman

..not only is comforting but looks comforting going into 2012 as well. Add in Gibson, Arkema, Farris, Benedict and a couple of impressive walk ons, and taking our time with lineman is fine.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

couldnt agree more, i've actually been meaning to post something along these lines myself. Especially the part about an extra year of eligibility and the extra time in the weight room and learning tech. I really see no down side to it at all: He wouldnt have played his FR year plus the semester he will miss would be the fall semester, <----the coaches really just focus on the two deep during that time of the year anyway, Spring is way more crucial for player development IMO and he will be hter then.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Conte, T. Smith, and one or two others end up prepping or grayshirting, and we end up having two or three guys on early arrival, the numbers for the 2012 Class are going to work out very well. Makes lots of room for some of the guys stretching out their recruitment.

For instance, at the current time we have 22 verbals + 1 transfer:

23 total
-3 prep or grayshirt to count against 2013
------------------
-3 early entry and Benedict to count against 2011
------------------
16 for regular arrival in Aug-Sep 2012

That allows 9 more verbals for the 2012 Class

If you enroll early does it count against the previous year? I always though it still counts to 2012. Similar to the greyshirting players taking a semester off and enrolling in the spring counts towards 2013.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you enroll early does it count against the previous year? I always though it still counts to 2012. Similar to the greyshirting players taking a semester off and enrolling in the spring counts towards 2013.

In either case, they can be counted for either year. That is where the real numbers magic happens.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Beamer had said their offense had gotten behind because of poor recruiting for the OL but we are offering and getting commits from 2 star players for the OL. Doesn't that seem to be repeating history?

I assume you're talking about OLs Conte (NR), and Taraschke (2*)?

I personally don't much stock in the player ratings provided by the recruiting services. If the coaching staff likes what they see when they evaluate OLs in camp, that's good enough for me.

On the whole, recruiting OLs is pretty difficult. We've recruited 4* OLs in the past that didn't work out (Aaron Brown, Tripp Carroll, Matt Welsh), and one that did (Dechristopher). The jury is still out on 4* OL recruits Painter, Shuman, and Lawrence Gibson, as well as UGA transferee Brent Benedict (2010 4*).

We've also converted 2* TEs currently starting as OLs (Nosal, Lanier). Jake Grove was offered by only one other school, VMI, and look how he turned out. Will Montgomery was a walkon DL who was offered a scholie and switched to the OL...he's still playing in the NFL.

Duane Brown was an NFL 1st-rounder who was a 3* TE converted to the OL; Ed Wang was a Gatorade Player of the Year as a 3* TE who converted to the OL and was drafted by the NFL; Frye was a converted DE who was also drafted by the NFL.