• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet more confirmation on Benedict from Kyle Tucker:

"Along with checking out Brent Benedict's injury, Hokies also thoroughly vetted his reason for leaving UGA. Everything checked out."
18 minutes ago

UGA said Benedict's reason for leaving was for "personal reasons", so I wonder if we'll be able to find out why he really left now. Maybe one of you VT guys will leak it out. I'm interested in hearing the full story, because a lot of Georgia guys (even some players) were very critical on Benedict when he broke the news that he was leaving.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More on Irick...I think he may be another major sleeper!

Elite 11 Watch: Calhoun County?s Mark Irick

QUOTE:

"Mark Irick has been touted as the next big-time wide receiver to come out of Calhoun County.

That's some big-time talk considering the footsteps he follows in - Alshon Jeffery and to, for now, a lesser extent Shamier Jeffery - but Irick has the tools to live up the hype. The 6-4, 180-pounder reportedly already has offers from Kentucky, Virginia Teach, Auburn and South Carolina - not bad, huh - and that list figures to only grow this season.

He is a big target with strong hands who will go up and get the ball. A season ago, Irick had 38 receptions for 880 yards and 10 touchdowns. This season, expect those numbers to increase."

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kirven, ekanem, crawley, caleb, harris, diggs, brown, edmunds

we could realistically land all these big time guys with only a few spots left, plus likely a few o-linemen will commit to us down the line too. wheres the room?

hokie43

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm sure we can/will offer a greyshirt to Dooley, and others may have to take the prep route. Also, I know we will get at least one early enrollee

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kirven, ekanem, crawley, caleb, harris, diggs, brown, edmunds

we could realistically land all these big time guys with only a few spots left, plus likely a few o-linemen will commit to us down the line too. wheres the room?

FWIW if signing day were today we would get Kirven, Crawley, Caleb, and Edmunds. The rest are a slight reach and will require more work. Brown definitely isnt coming here.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure we can/will offer a greyshirt to Dooley, and others may have to take the prep route. Also, I know we will get at least one early enrollee

Highly doubt Dooley is a greyshirt IMO. Unless a scholarship is a greyshirt offer, we don't usually see players take a greyshirt. However, numbers usually do open up from players not qualifying (prep route like you said).

I think we may only be taking 1 more OL in this class after we got Benedict. There's a lot of talent on the board right now. Think we may see a greyshirt offer or 2 go out today to OLs, though.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Good deal!!

Five left...2 OLs, Kirven, Edmunds, and Diggs? Or do we start thinking about taking a few more and working in three or four preps and grayshgirts?

O'Cain recruited this one...very good!

I think one more OL, add in Harris and swap Caleb and Diggs and that is how we close out.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want Crawley. Slightly surprised he hasnt committed already.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Highly doubt Dooley is a greyshirt IMO. Unless a scholarship is a greyshirt offer, we don't usually see players take a greyshirt. However, numbers usually do open up from players not qualifying (prep route like you said).

I think we may only be taking 1 more OL in this class after we got Benedict. There's a lot of talent on the board right now. Think we may see a greyshirt offer or 2 go out today to OLs, though.

I also doubt Dooley will be a greyshirt. A recruit getting a grayshirt offer is getting a full scholarship offer like everyone else, but their scholarship clock doesn't start until six months later in January of the following calendar year. Some kids start school at Tech in the Fall and get acclimated to their academics and college life, some take classes at community colleges, some just spend that six months working hard in the weight room to get bigger and stronger.

We've been juggling the numbers with greyshirt offers almost every year for a while. For instance:

2011: arrives Jan 2012
-----
Hall
Alford
Branthover

2010: arrived Jan 2011
-----
Farris

2009: arrived Jan 2010
-----
Gough
Perez-Means

2008: arrived Jan 2009
------
Martin
Barber (left the program)

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW if signing day were today we would get Kirven, Crawley, Caleb, and Edmunds. The rest are a slight reach and will require more work. Brown definitely isnt coming here.

true. i threw brown in there because he and diggs are potentially a package deal from what i read a while back.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Great get in Irick. Man this class is feeling up quickly.

Still got to get a few more, but im loving our momentum.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be sad after this commit spree dies soon. Probably only a couple more commits before the season starts, then we might be waiting until around January and signing day for some of the holdouts to commit. Might need to start talking about 2013 recruits to keep this thread hot haha.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed - I haven't been this excited / into recruiting since 2004 or so. What a ride it has been!

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wonder how this will all play out. If Irick commits on Friday, like we're indicating, that means we have 20 commits.

We still have Kirven, Caleb, Harris, Edmunds, Hamilton, Ekanem, Diggs, Jones, Crawley, Lewis, and Mangus who we have a serious shot with. That is not including 1-2 more OL too. I like how kids want to join us, but with the boat pretty full, I wonder if we should be more selective? Coaches clearly know more than me, and I doubt if any of these guys wanted to commit, we would turn them down (at least the majority of the guys mentioned).

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane has brought the SEC oversigning philosophy with him apparently. Heck, I say just go with it.