• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT is coming up on 60 offers by my count..60!!! That's crazy! We can only sign what, 25 in any given year? I know they can work the numbers, prep/greyshirt some of those guys and what not. I feel like Frank and Co. should get to that number easily with all of these offers. I hope all of these offers going out doesn't end up biting us in the ass in the end. Seems like many of the blue-chippers will likely hold out until late this year, and some of the under-the-radar guys might commit early to secure a scholy?? Not sure how this process works but it seems to be the approach that many of the top notch schools follow...Offer every 4 and 5 star guy in the world and thats all you end up with is 4 and 5 star guys, I know all of these guys aren't like that but hey, what the hell??....thoughts on this anyone??

Sounds like Shane is already offering input from his SEC Days.:D

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But isnt part of the reason because of the recruiting class of '08? we signed 31 players (albeit some left/transferred) but still a large class anyway you look at it. Could be wrong though, Im not sure how many of these players are still on the team.

Right 43, but I think per NCAA rules you can only add 25 players every year to total no more than 85, (Thank Butch, Houston Nutt and the rest of the oversigning jagoffs for that). I know VT will lose quite a few after this year and the following. Maybe they will exceed 25 this year, and get some of them to enroll late/greyshirt or prep which will count them towards the following year? I am sure they know what they are doing. As long as they don't miss out on some blue-chippers in the end or have to screw another kid in the end (don't think Beamer would do that) then sign 'em all as far as I'm concerned. You are right poop...sounds like SB learned something in the SEC recruiting style:D

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I look at it as we should only be offering kids we think can play, not ride pine or be a scout team leaders so the more offers the better as long as we dont get into "oversigning". Im not sure the number of schollies for this year (around 22 i think) but i guess you fill you needs 1st and then keep some open schollies (2-3) for the national signing day guys you think you have a chance with.

Im not sure there is a simple explanation on how you make the numbers work or how to treat situations with kids who want to wait until NSD but even in years when we have limited schollies VT always seems to find a way to fit kids in. <---sidenote: maybe this is more suited for the OT thread but i really think College FTBall needs an early signing period.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at it as we should only be offering kids we think can play, not ride pine or be a scout team leaders so the more offers the better as long as we dont get into "oversigning". Im not sure the number of schollies for this year (around 22 i think) but i guess you fill you needs 1st and then keep some open schollies (2-3) for the national signing day guys you think you have a chance with.

Im not sure there is a simple explanation on how you make the numbers work or how to treat situations with kids who want to wait until NSD but even in years when we have limited schollies VT always seems to find a way to fit kids in. <---sidenote: maybe this is more suited for the OT thread but i really think College FTBall needs an early signing period.

Right, and I am sure they think every kid can play. I guess it will all play out in the end. Would hate to think for ex. that we had 5 Brandon Motley's commit in a matter of time and missed out on a Joel Caleb because we had other needs to fill. Its all good though, In Frank I trust. I think eventually we will end up with an above average class this year with all these studs on the offer list.

Side note - Just heard on my way home that Dakota Jackson TE, Northside H.S. VA was offered by VT today. He is a local kid and he is probably the best prospect in SW VA.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, and I am sure they think every kid can play. I guess it will all play out in the end. Would hate to think for ex. that we had 5 Brandon Motley's commit in a matter of time and missed out on a Joel Caleb because we had other needs to fill. Its all good though, In Frank I trust. I think eventually we will end up with an above average class this year with all these studs on the offer list.

Side note - Just heard on my way home that Dakota Jackson TE, Northside H.S. VA was offered by VT today. He is a local kid and he is probably the best prospect in SW VA.

He did. On my list of changes to make. I am just uber busy.

As for numbers, a lot happens. Attrition, grey shirts, etc. All a lot of the guys we have offered are total shots in the dark, and if we can land 1/4 of who we offers that would be wblowput class. I can count In two hands the amount of these guys we.are trauly leading for at this point.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
i read today that one of the top DL/DE's in Ga is patiently waiting on a VT offer. (cant remember the kids name)

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Anyone know the status of Joshua Hosley? I have heard from various sources that he is a VT lean but I have seen nothing definitive of that. Also, does it look like we will get any new commits soon? With JR. day just happening it seems as if at least a few would have committed this week instead of just 1.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know the status of Joshua Hosley? I have heard from various sources that he is a VT lean but I have seen nothing definitive of that. Also, does it look like we will get any new commits soon? With JR. day just happening it seems as if at least a few would have committed this week instead of just 1.

Hey!

First, welcome to the boards! Did you come over from ESPN or somewhere. Hosley lists us as a favorite. He is going to be a 4 star most likely so it may be a long while before he makes a decision, but I like where we stand, and I definitely like the fact that Shane Beamer and Torrian Gray are on him. his teammate and friend (Davion Tookes) was our first commit this year so that cannot hurt either. He claims that we are recruiting him the hardest which is good, and is a refreshing change for the Hokies.

As for commits coming soon, well i still see Kirven and Caleb as dam breakers if they sign on early. If we get one more DB commit, it may open some of the flood gates as well, as we will not be able to take everyone. Also, a few of the guys we have just offered (Smith and Jackson) have been waiting for our offer, so they may paly for a few days and then jump on board. If the "school of interest" to the NCAA is one of our recruiting rivals (UNC, Clemson) we may get a flurry as well.

If I had to predict, I would say either Smith, Jaskson or Greene commit next, ad we see a flurry toward the end of the month.

This is kind of a slow time for commitments. At this time last season, the season before and the season before that we only had one commit each. Two of these (Wang and Acree) had committed the season before. April and May tend to be big months for us, but it looks like Shane and Cornell and an overall change in philosophy has moved that time frame up a bit.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hey!

First, welcome to the boards! Did you come over from ESPN or somewhere. Hosley lists us as a favorite. He is going to be a 4 star most likely so it may be a long while before he makes a decision, but I like where we stand, and I definitely like the fact that Shane Beamer and Torrian Gray are on him. his teammate and friend (Davion Tookes) was our first commit this year so that cannot hurt either. He claims that we are recruiting him the hardest which is good, and is a refreshing change for the Hokies.

As for commits coming soon, well i still see Kirven and Caleb as dam breakers if they sign on early. If we get one more DB commit, it may open some of the flood gates as well, as we will not be able to take everyone. Also, a few of the guys we have just offered (Smith and Jackson) have been waiting for our offer, so they may paly for a few days and then jump on board. If the "school of interest" to the NCAA is one of our recruiting rivals (UNC, Clemson) we may get a flurry as well.

If I had to predict, I would say either Smith, Jaskson or Greene commit next, ad we see a flurry toward the end of the month.

This is kind of a slow time for commitments. At this time last season, the season before and the season before that we only had one commit each. Two of these (Wang and Acree) had committed the season before. April and May tend to be big months for us, but it looks like Shane and Cornell and an overall change in philosophy has moved that time frame up a bit.

Great insight thanks.

I came over from TSL, I actually found this place when researching the new QB Recruit from Texas and I stumbled upon this thread. I have been looking around here for the past few days and just decided to join today :D

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool, i don't go to TSL much. There are only about 15 or so guys here, but it is a fun place and between us, we get a lot of good info and opinions going. Check the "general discussion" board too for some funny stuff and good threads. Generally it is an intelligent, but smaller group of people who don't take themselves TOO seriously.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
offers are still flying out: a de from Ga and a RB from penn, dont have the names right now but from what i hear both are BIG TIME players.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
offers are still flying out: a de from Ga and a RB from penn, dont have the names right now but from what i hear both are BIG TIME players.

Drew Harris is the RB we offered. The DE is big time too.

hokie43

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Jordan Watkins perhaps? we need to get on that guy like...now. :D

Va Tech

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I looked up Drew Harris junior season film and he is a beast. I hope we get him

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1