• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

jermadams

HOKIES!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
thats news to me!! thanks for the heads up, I'll def. cut it out...but all teams to do it, it would be easier to tell the thousands of recruits to keep off twitter than the millions of fans not to talk to them! just my $.02

jermadams

HOKIES!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and wow i would love Greg Pyke in O&M!!! hes got quite the offer list...hope we aren't to late for the show!

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
BTW i heard that we are in the running for the OL that just got released from GA. (benedict i think?) Not sure about when he would be able to enroll or who else is in the running but my understanding is he was a 4* last year.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
BTW i heard that we are in the running for the OL that just got released from GA. (benedict i think?) Not sure about when he would be able to enroll or who else is in the running but my understanding is he was a 4* last year.
That would be interesting, we normally dont go after transfers (I dont think)...

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's more on Benedict:

Benedict leaves UGA football | timesfreepress.com

QUOTE:

"University of Georgia redshirt freshman guard Brent Benedict has left the team for personal reasons, Bulldogs football coach Mark Richt announced Sunday.

The 6-foot-5, 312-pounder from Jacksonville exited spring practice as the No. 2 right guard behind Chris Burnette. His departure follows starting tackle Trinton Sturdivant’s season-ending ACL injury in spring practice and the transfer after spring semester of backup tackle A.J. Harmon, who has enrolled at Alabama State.

Benedict spent last season recovering from a gruesome injury he suffered as a senior at The Bolles School. While running down the field to celebrate an early-season touchdown, he tore his ACL, PCL and meniscus.

Despite that setback, Benedict was rated by Rivals.com as the No. 12 tackle and No. 76 overall prospect nationally in the 2010 class."

That is one heck of a bad injury...three out of the four knee ligaments torn. George Bell is the last player I remember having that disastrous of a knee injury. I would also want to know more about the personal reason that caused him to leave UGA. If we are pursuing him, I bet Shane Beamer is taking the point on this guy because South Carolina was one of the teams that offered him for the 2010 Class.

Here's his Rivals profile (free information):

Brent Benedict - Yahoo! Sports

The write-up is from 2009, prior to the injury reported in the first link.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I found on him. Maybe the Sicemdawgs guy on SportsHoopla can supply more info as well.

OL Brent Benedict leaving Georgia for ‘personal reasons’
OL Brent Benedict leaving Georgia for ‘personal reasons’

EmailPrintComments (3)Georgia redshirt freshman offensive lineman Brent Benedict has left the team due to “personal reasons,” head coach Mark Richt announced today.

Benedict (6-5, 312) was listed on the depth chart as a backup to Chris Burnette at right guard. His departure leaves the Bulldogs with only 15 offensive linemen on scholarship.

Benedict hadn’t yet played for the Dawgs after completing two years of rehabilitation after injuring his knee in his senior season at The Bolles School in Jacksonville, Florida.

Although Benedict didn’t specifically cite what his “personal reasons” were, rumors are circulating that he did not agree with the methods of the strength and conditioning program. The program is now led by Joe Tereshinski.

If these rumors are true, it’s sad that Benedict would leave over such trivial circumstances. Tereshinski was elevated to his position, and other support staff were hired, to change the culture around the program.

Other than Washaun Ealey, who had multiple transgressions while on campus, there hasn’t been a lot of talk about players not buying in. Here’s hoping Benedict leaving is the only bump in the road.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here's more on Benedict:

Benedict leaves UGA football | timesfreepress.com

QUOTE:

"University of Georgia redshirt freshman guard Brent Benedict has left the team for personal reasons, Bulldogs football coach Mark Richt announced Sunday.

The 6-foot-5, 312-pounder from Jacksonville exited spring practice as the No. 2 right guard behind Chris Burnette. His departure follows starting tackle Trinton Sturdivant’s season-ending ACL injury in spring practice and the transfer after spring semester of backup tackle A.J. Harmon, who has enrolled at Alabama State.

Benedict spent last season recovering from a gruesome injury he suffered as a senior at The Bolles School. While running down the field to celebrate an early-season touchdown, he tore his ACL, PCL and meniscus.

Despite that setback, Benedict was rated by Rivals.com as the No. 12 tackle and No. 76 overall prospect nationally in the 2010 class."

That is one heck of a bad injury...three out of the four knee ligaments torn. George Bell is the last player I remember having that disastrous of a knee injury. I would also want to know more about the personal reason that caused him to leave UGA. If we are pursuing him, I bet Shane Beamer is taking the point on this guy because South Carolina was one of the teams that offered him for the 2010 Class.

Here's his Rivals profile (free information):

Brent Benedict - Yahoo! Sports

The write-up is from 2009, prior to the injury reported in the first link.
Big man fall hard...think about tearing out almost everything in your knee running down the field to celebrate...

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
thats news to me!! thanks for the heads up, I'll def. cut it out...but all teams to do it, it would be easier to tell the thousands of recruits to keep off twitter than the millions of fans not to talk to them! just my $.02

Don't get me wrong...I personally follow a number of current players and a few of our recruits on Twitter, because that 's just another way to gather information before the media actually reports it. These kids are likely to say anything....sometimes too much. But, I never personally communicate with them because I know the NCAA is scanning. In some situations where rivalries are very strong, like the SEC, we may see opposing fans trying to bust each other for alleged violations.

As to your suggestion about keeping recruits off Twitter or any of the social media, I think it's an excellent one. If that kind of rule could be enforced, any potential NCAA issues could be greatly reduced. As a matter of fact, following the Marvin Austin fiasco, some college teams have started forbidding their players to use social media during the season, which I think is a very good idea.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
honestly the smartest thing would be for players/recruits to keep their twitter/facebook etc private. I hope that doesnt happen because (when she isnt in class) i've got the old lady constantly scanning these sites for info, but i do think that would be whats best for both the players and program.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get your hopes up for Benedict. Your friend must have misheard. He has more interest in Georgia Tech than Virginia Tech.

As for Pyke, I brought up why he didn't have an offer a few weeks ago. Glad he got one. Nothing like an enormous ginger on your team. Bet you guys didn't know he's actually one of the best lacrosse prospects in the country too.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Don't get your hopes up for Benedict. Your friend must have misheard. He has more interest in Georgia Tech than Virginia Tech.

As for Pyke, I brought up why he didn't have an offer a few weeks ago. Glad he got one. Nothing like an enormous ginger on your team. Bet you guys didn't know he's actually one of the best lacrosse prospects in the country too.

My friend is never wrong!:wink: As for the lacross thing, when you google his name one of the first things that pops up is a laX youtube vid.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall see...

Pyke's dream school is Bama but don't expect them to offer anytime soon. Very underrated OL. And we can only hope he doesn't want to go to a preppy school where lacrosse is big like UVA or Duke.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I've heard that Benedict is looking at Florida, VT, and Clemson. He is actually supposed to visit this weekend for an official at VT.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I wonder how much playing lacrosse at his school of choice will influence his decision, if any. He has football offers from Maryland, Duke, and UVA, schools that also have Top 10 lacrosse teams.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I wonder how much playing lacrosse at his school of choice will influence his decision, if any. He has football offers from Maryland, Duke, and UVA, schools that also have Top 10 lacrosse teams.

Does he plan to play lax in college???

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have I been wrong before? If Benedict does choose VT I will make a sig stating the date and that I was wrong on a recruit. All I am saying is take it FWIW.