• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to get a feel of other people's opinions on this subject. If a recruit has a history of bad attitude (not necessarily legal trouble), but is still a top prospect, do you risk taking him?

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to get a feel of other people's opinions on this subject. If a recruit has a history of bad attitude (not necessarily legal trouble), but is still a top prospect, do you risk taking him?

It really depends. I assume you are talking about Diggs. Most of the stuff on Stefon is alot of rumors and hearsay. Could be true, but also could be sour grapes. However, Coney and Harold would be two I would avoid. Coney is not a team player and was suspended last season by his own team. Don't think a team would do that to their best player if it wasn't serious. Harold is a thug. There is no beating around the bush. The kid needs a serious attitude adjustment. To be honest I don't see him working out at UVA. I think Mike London is too soft for a player like Harold. If you notice he went from VT was one of his top choices to a mutual backing off... Ever questioned why it was a mutual backing off?

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends. I assume you are talking about Diggs. Most of the stuff on Stefon is alot of rumors and hearsay. Could be true, but also could be sour grapes. However, Coney and Harold would be two I would avoid. Coney is not a team player and was suspended last season by his own team. Don't think a team would do that to their best player if it wasn't serious. Harold is a thug. There is no beating around the bush. The kid needs a serious attitude adjustment. To be honest I don't see him working out at UVA. I think Mike London is too soft for a player like Harold. If you notice he went from VT was one of his top choices to a mutual backing off... Ever questioned why it was a mutual backing off?

Yes, the rumors of Diggs attitude spurred my question. I don't have any real knowledge on the player, though, so I didn't want to say anything bad because the one thing we do know is he is one hell of an athlete. I have heard enough about Coney to be turned off by him. I will be happy if we shut off QB recruiting and focus on 2013 since there are some major QB prospects in VA in the next class.

The Harold story is interesting. I just accepted we weren't pursuing him any longer. Never took his attitude into question. It's players like that that make one questions UVA's "high standard" when it comes to recruiting (we all know UVA's recruiting standards are not very high, even academically).

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UVA's higher standards claim is laughable. It makes them feel better about getting lesser players. If they can accept Dominique Terrell and Eli, they will accept anyone. Eli is no doubt a great athlete. Its his head that will hold him back.

FWIW we are not the only ones to back-off...

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It kind of depends. We almost got burned by the Peter Rose situation a few years back, but it may have made us a little wary. I had not heard much on the whole Diggs situation, but I do think that it is fair game for the staff to be critical and inquisitive about it when evaluating the prospect. I know that a certain recruit from last year's class displayed some red flags in front of his recruitier and immediately fell out of favor. I am fine with that. If a players attitude is so out of control that he can not keep it in check IN FRONT OF his recruiter, well, he probably would be a bad gamble.

I guess, I kind of trust the staff on this, especially since it has gotten younger. I feel like Gray, Beamer and Brown can relate to the kids and be able to differentiate between a kid who has a gamer ego and a kid that has a bad attitude.

Did that rant make any sense....I need coffee....

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha yes it made sense. I can put my trust in the staff. Beamer and co. have a lot of experience and definitely know what they are looking for in the personality of a recruit. They have learned their lesson from the Marcus Vick days.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha yes it made sense. I can put my trust in the staff. Beamer and co. have a lot of experience and definitely know what they are looking for in the personality of a recruit. They have learned their lesson from the Marcus Vick days.

That and the mid-90s.

And I agree about UVa. Funny how they toot the higher standards horn, yet are now going after questionable guys, not to mention borderline partial qualifiers (like Morgan Moses), etc. And I still think it's hilarious that Herman Moore, one of their best players of all time, wanted to come to VT but couldn't because he didn't meet the math requirement.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I would say it probably depends on the unique situation. In the overall scheme I would say in the early 90s, Beamer was more prone to take the best athletes and hope for the best. No matter how you explain it, Virginia Tech football did take a few black eyes over the years. Beamer has trended away from that strategy though. The program has recruited less and less borderline guys, and has progressively increased discipline on active players over the years. I personally prefer the more recent strategy.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard that K. Crawley may be on campus this weekend, think we can get a commit?

That would make me very happy. With the loss of Williams and Sykes to transfers and the wavering commitment of Manning, getting another Woodson kid would be very nice.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That would make me very happy. With the loss of Williams and Sykes to transfers and the wavering commitment of Manning, getting another Woodson kid would be very nice.
Call me crazy but I don't think that Manning goes anywhere other than VT. I think alot of the "talk" is just blown out of proportion. I think he ends up at VT and has a VERY successful career!

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Call me crazy but I don't think that Manning goes anywhere other than VT. I think alot of the "talk" is just blown out of proportion. I think he ends up at VT and has a VERY successful career!

I think he's here as long as Gray is here. I think he's been smart and realizes that coaches come and go. I would prefer the kid to be committed to the school, but we know that alot of these kids commit to coaches staffs. He has not been shy about this, so I think he'll stay with VT as long as Gray stays.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think he's here as long as Gray is here. I think he's been smart and realizes that coaches come and go. I would prefer the kid to be committed to the school, but we know that alot of these kids commit to coaches staffs. He has not been shy about this, so I think he'll stay with VT as long as Gray stays.
My thoughts exactly, that is the common trend now a days where a kid will commit to a coach. I can see why with Gray, he is a great coach and VT puts DBs in the NFL! Manning will stay a Hokie IMO

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is in response to Lumbee09's question about taking kid's with attitude problems. Here's a list of most of the problem children that we've seen as late as the 2010 Class:

2010 Tahrick Peak - kicked off his high school team in his senior year - Tech backed off scholie

2009 Nubian Peak - gave up his full ride at Tech to go with his brother to who knows where

2008 Leon Mackey - claimed he took an online course at Hargrave when he didn't; his mother also asked for the "same deal" he was offered at another school - Tech backed off scholie

2008 Peter Rose - busted selling pot to an undercover cop - Tech backed off scholie

2008 Derrick McCoy - may have been caught up in the same situation as his teammate Peter Rose - Tech backed off scholie

2008 - Allen Stephens - dismissed from the team

2008 - Xavier Boyce - has a current legal issue - not sure where it is in the process

2006 - Mario Edwards - dismissed from the team

2006 - Joey Hall - lost scholie and transferred

2006 - Daryl Robertson - lost scholie and transferred

2006 - Devvon Sutton - dismissed from the team

2006 - Matt Wright - Left program for a variety of reasons

2005 - Todd Nolen - rumors of keeping bad company in high school - couldn't make the grades to get into Tech despite attending prep school and JUCO

2005 - Robert Norris - dismissed from the team

2005 - Ike Whitaker - dismissed from team - sad case

2004 William Wall - dismissed from team

The trend over the past couple of years is to go after the athletes with excellent character, and to eliminate problems before they arrive at Tech. I agree with that approach 100%. It's much easier to drop a scholarship offer before Signing Day than it is to tell a kid later that he's being dismissed for disciplinary reasons.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Didn't Mario Edwards have a family problem, like a parent dying, which is why he wanted to leave VT and be closer to his family at GT?