• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not getting the warm and fuzzies on this one, fellas. Think Frank gets worked once again by a superior recruiter. Going to get Caleb and Ekanem but Kirven is going to hurt a lot and it's ultra-embarrassing given the location.
and also considering the current state of Tennessee football.

I'd have to think that the whole "VT's defense can't get a DL ready for the NFL" argument may be steering him. I can't think of ANY other reason why he's want to go to UT over VT .. other than Stiney just flat getting owned by Sunseri from a recruiting standpoint (which is definitely possible). Big-time weekend coming up. They'd better be shampooing the red carpets.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not getting the warm and fuzzies on this one, fellas. Think Frank gets worked once again by a superior recruiter. Going to get Caleb and Ekanem but Kirven is going to hurt a lot and it's ultra-embarrassing given the location.

Just FYI...Coach Stinespring is Kirven's primary recruiter, not CFB. Just in case you don't know, Stiney is one of Tech's best recruiters.

Stiney's brought in Dooley, Edmunds, and Jackson for the 2012 Class; Cole, Knowles, and Malleck for 2011; Gibson and McCray for 2010; and Miller, LT, and Wilson for 2009.

If Kirven goes to UT, it won't be because Tech, or Stiney, got outworked

By the way, have you looked at Tech's DT depth chart for 2012? Maybe you should take a look.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and also considering the current state of Tennessee football.

I'd have to think that the whole "VT's defense can't get a DL ready for the NFL" argument may be steering him. I can't think of ANY other reason why he's want to go to UT over VT .. other than Stiney just flat getting owned by Sunseri from a recruiting standpoint (which is definitely possible). Big-time weekend coming up. They'd better be shampooing the red carpets.

Kirven developed a very good relationship with Sunseri when Sunseri was coaching for Bama. The second Sunseri was hired by UT, Kirven's interest in Bama dropped and his interest in UT jumped. UT also has a College of Architecture just like Tech. There is also the lure of playing in the SEC.

Tech has an advantage by being about 3.5 hours closer than Knoxville, and the fact that he already knows a number of the guys playing for Tech.

Just a note...Stiney rarely gets worked by anyone on the recruiting trail...check my previous post.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
TAE:

I'm not doubting Stiney's skills and definitely not his work ethic (especially when it comes to recruiting). I've seen their DL depth chart, yes and Kirven would be on top of it by his sophomore season. Even if they're both great salesman, one is going to naturally be a better salesman than others. I've heard than Sunseri is a special recruiter.

The lure of a good program in architecture? That's a push in my opinion. VT has a good one.

The lure of playing in the SEC? He would've went to Bama (and maybe he still will--who knows)

A combination of the two? Definitely a possibility

As far as the DL-in-the-NFL argument :: I have no proof but would bet that it's been used against VT before. It's one of the few decent arguments that one could make against VT defensively. I feel like, in most cases, a player special enough to play on Sundays will play on Sundays if they put in the work. Scheme doesn't have everything to do with it. There will be a place for them in the NFL somewhere.

Either way -- we're all guessing but he definitely seems to be the hardest-sell of the three. When you have the SEC knocking on your door, it's hard not to answer. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TAE:

I'm not doubting Stiney's skills and definitely not his work ethic (especially when it comes to recruiting). I've seen their DL depth chart, yes and Kirven would be on top of it by his sophomore season. Even if they're both great salesman, one is going to naturally be a better salesman than others. I've heard than Sunseri is a special recruiter.

The lure of a good program in architecture? That's a push in my opinion. VT has a good one.

The lure of playing in the SEC? He would've went to Bama (and maybe he still will--who knows)

A combination of the two? Definitely a possibility

As far as the DL-in-the-NFL argument :: I have no proof but would bet that it's been used against VT before. It's one of the few decent arguments that one could make against VT defensively. I feel like, in most cases, a player special enough to play on Sundays will play on Sundays if they put in the work. Scheme doesn't have everything to do with it. There will be a place for them in the NFL somewhere.

Either way -- we're all guessing but he definitely seems to be the hardest-sell of the three. When you have the SEC knocking on your door, it's hard not to answer. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

VT just hasn't had great interior DL in recent years. The Hopkins brothers are two of the better ones, but they are undersized for the NFL. Size and speed have been the negatives against VT DL's, not VT ability to coach and put players in the NFL. We've had pretty good success putting DE's in the NFL.

And regarding Tennessee's depth chart, keep in mind that they already have committs from two 4-star DL's for this class.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
they painted that rock for Kirven's parents and word is they're not making the trip

VTFF: don't really keep up with the in's and out's of recruiting violations -- why would that be one??

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now Frank is on to Clover Hill to meet with Joel Caleb and Holland Fisher. Later will visit Augie Conte at Blessed Sacrament-Hugenot. Also making an apperance at Monocan to see Connor Wingo-Reeves. Beamer is on a roll!

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the heck is that?...a garbage pile covered with a tarp or something?

We still have time to paint Kirven all over Lane Stadium before he arrives this weekend. :eyebrows:

No thanks. I wouldn't make a banner for a recruit even if he was the second coming of Michael Vick. If they want in, they'll chose us. The rock painting is borderline psycho. Like one step from painting dead animals and giving them as gifts....

Which is a time-honored tradition in Tennessee with ones vehicle doing the dirty work. Only state in the US where there is a law allowing you to kill and eat animals you've ended with your car.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks. I wouldn't make a banner for a recruit even if he was the second coming of Michael Vick. If they want in, they'll chose us. The rock painting is borderline psycho. Like one step from painting dead animals and giving them as gifts....

Which is a time-honored tradition in Tennessee with ones vehicle doing the dirty work. Only state in the US where there is a law allowing you to kill and eat animals you've ended with your car.

film1.jpg

Special J

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What a switch...a few weeks ago it was thought to be Kirven and Caleb with Ekanem being the hard one to pull, and now we may lose Kirven, but land Ekanem. But as it has been eluded to, we have a nice amount of depth at DT with the kids we brought in last year, plus the ones we already have for this year.
Was wondering about this, but are they keeping Marshall at DT or are they looking to move him back to DE as originally planned?

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Was wondering about this, but are they keeping Marshall at DT or are they looking to move him back to DE as originally planned?

Good question! Several factors will play into this:

1) Can Marshall put on the 30-40 pounds of muscle-weight to play DT on an every-down basis? I think he weighs about 250-260 now.

2) If Marshall moves to DE, and with the departure of Battle, Prince, Tucker and Hamlette, that leaves the Hopkins brothers, Maddy, and Harley as the only DTs with actual game experience. Will any of the incoming 2012 DTs be ready to play if Marshall moves to DE?

3) If Marshall's unable to gain weight to play DT, will he become the 5th DE to go along with Gayle, Collins, McCray, and Wilson? Will he play a DE/DT role? Will any of the 2012 DEs be ready to play in the Fall?

4) Will DE Perez-Means be moved to TE?

5) Will Wilson be moved from DE to Whip and does he have the cover skills in space?

Spring ball should give us a better idea about where Marshall will play, but I really don't think things will finalize until the first game...maybe.