• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree, i like deloatch's game a lot. cant blame the kid, temple has been on him a while it seems and VT came in late for an in state guy.

back to stanford, any word on if he will still visit TCU next weekend? also, ri...bumped stanford to a 3 star.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Punter Hughes commits to Virginia Tech
Wow, looks like none of current punters are cutting it, nice tidbit from the article.

A.J. told Sports 10 he is going to Virginia Tech as a preferred walk-on, but has been told by the Hokies coaching staff he is their number one punter heading into next season. Hughes said once he earns the starting job Virginia Tech will put him on scholarship.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
60 yarders earn you a spot on the team. just saying

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Some of that is the transition from Glennon to Tyrod and the progression of Tyrod as a nervous freshman doing dumb stuff in the pocket to a stud QB and then LT's faster delivery style? I agree out OL pass blocked very well the season and that might have to do with they knew LT would stay in the pocket so they could do their normal OL thing...

:clap2: ^^^ This.

TAE, it just doesn't pass the eye test man. We should expect MUCH more if we want to be an elite team. I bet UVA's "total O" numbers haven't been good the last 6-7 years but you wouldn't argue that haven't had consistantly one of the premier O-lines in the ACC.

I understand defending your team, but OL is clearly the biggest glaring weakness on our entire team. The development has been very poor at best. I would love to have gone after Matt Luke, the offensive line coach under Cutcliffe at Duke who just left for the same title at Ole Miss.

I think he should be noted that in Frank's latest interview with Bitter, he would not deny that there could be coaching changes this offseason. He said that right now the coaches were focusing on recruiting and once that winded down he would assess the entire staff. Curt Newsome is the only coach on our staff on the hotseat, and there are several philosophical aspects that Beamer has already required Newsome to change in the last few years (which suggests he saw the red flags too) that I could go into more detail about if this were the right thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like deloatch verballed to temple...according to his cousin on twitter that is...

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Last freshman punter to start for VT....... Vinnie Burns?

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Branthover already on scholarship? Can't believe we'd have two scholarship punters if AJ has already been assured of the starting job.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Branthover came in to kick orignally. He could do both, but I think we were looking at him primarily as a kicker, and then ended up having to punt also.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:clap2: ^^^ This.

TAE, it just doesn't pass the eye test man. We should expect MUCH more if we want to be an elite team. I bet UVA's "total O" numbers haven't been good the last 6-7 years but you wouldn't argue that haven't had consistantly one of the premier O-lines in the ACC.

I understand defending your team, but OL is clearly the biggest glaring weakness on our entire team. The development has been very poor at best. I would love to have gone after Matt Luke, the offensive line coach under Cutcliffe at Duke who just left for the same title at Ole Miss.

I think he should be noted that in Frank's latest interview with Bitter, he would not deny that there could be coaching changes this offseason. He said that right now the coaches were focusing on recruiting and once that winded down he would assess the entire staff. Curt Newsome is the only coach on our staff on the hotseat, and there are several philosophical aspects that Beamer has already required Newsome to change in the last few years (which suggests he saw the red flags too) that I could go into more detail about if this were the right thread.

Okay, look....I've been around football all my life and had a dad who coached at the high school level for 55 years, most of it as a head coach. I've also paid pretty close attention to Tech's football program since 1967, particularly the offensive line. I played offensive line in high school and the military, and I had an offer to play semi-pro ball in California after I got out of the military. I feel pretty comfortable that I know what I'm talking about.

You're welcome to your opinion just like everyone else, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it no matter how hard you push it. I see an improvement in Tech's OL development since Coach Newsome's arrival and you and others don't. I don't think you truly understand how bad Tech's offensive line had gotten prior to Coach Newsome's arrival. Within two years of Newsome's arrival, 8 OLs left the program for a variety of "official" reasons. Newsome's starting his sixth year at Tech...just how long do you think it takes to build an "elite" offensive line? Let's agree to disagree and just move on.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yo Fetti, I know you're new so FYI, TAE will defend out OL coaches and OL play till the death of him. It's not new. Some agree, some don't. It's just a tree that's not worth barking up for most of us.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
TAE: Word is that UVA and VT offered Deloatch on the condition of prepping .. Temple offered him a bonafide scholly (I'm pretty sure academics played into the in-state prepping). Don't guess it would be a huge surprise to anyone if he took Temple up on his offer and not sure he's still even on the table with Stanford committing.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TAE: Word is that UVA and VT offered Deloatch on the condition of prepping .. Temple offered him a bonafide scholly (I'm pretty sure academics played into the in-state prepping). Don't guess it would be a huge surprise to anyone if he took Temple up on his offer and not sure he's still even on the table with Stanford committing.

he committed to temple earlier today