• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to a Ri...... forum a certain 4* and 5* player (they wouldn't say names) are pretty much hokies, but they're just taking visits.Wonder if there's any truth to that, I'm really hoping there is.

well, the only 5 star we are even in the picture for is diggs (really dont think we have a shot with hamilton), so take that for what its worth.

HokieStone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
BALTIMORE -- If Cyrus Jones ever taps his helmet to come out of a game for a break, it might be the first time.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound tailback/safety from Baltimore Gilman can't remember the last time he's done so. That was evident in a 51-27 thrashing of Chesapeake (Va.) Oscar Smith on Friday at the I-95 Classic at Morgan State University.

"I can't wait to get in my bed," an exhausted Jones said after the game. "Golly."

Jones, who is No. 34 in the ESPNU 150, played to the bitter end of a game that was never close. The Under Armour All-American's stat line underscored the playing time. Jones had 12 carries for 194 yards, three touchdown runs, a touchdown reception, 10 tackles and a blocked extra point.

"This is definitely one of the more complete games I've ever played," Jones said. "This year I see myself with a bigger role with my man [former Gilman and current Virginia tailback] Darius Jennings being gone. I just try to lean on my teammates and just go hard for them every play and bring my talents to the table.

"That's the type of person I am. I'm a competitor. We pride ourselves on conditioning in practice. It served us well tonight."

Jones said he will take an official visit to Virginia Tech on Sept. 17 along with his good friend J.C. Coleman, who was on the opposite sideline on Friday. The Oscar Smith tailback committed to Virginia Tech in April.

"I'm real interested in Tech," Jones said. "I'm actually good friends with J.C. Coleman because I've been to a couple of events with him over the summer. I've gotten to know him very well. I think highly of Virginia Tech. I like the people there."

Jones said he's grown fond of Hokies receivers coach Kevin Sherman.

"Virginia Tech is a winning program and I want to check them out," Jones said.

Don't underestimate the influence from Coleman, who ran for 156 yards on 12 carries while being a consistent threat out of the backfield as a pass receiver.

"Whoever was watching that game, they saw two dynamic players with me and Cyrus," Coleman said. "You'd see him with a couple of plays. On the next series you'd see me so if we were both on the same team, that would be crazy."

Coleman had plenty of time to talk to Jones on Friday evening. The two talked during the coin toss, intermittently during the game and afterward as they shook hands.

The friendship began three time zones away at The Opening camp in Oregon. It continued at the Gridiron Kings camp in Orlando. Coincidentally, the two were on the same seven-on-seven team at both camps. In an era of trash talking, the two players that share a quiet demeanor were drawn together.

Coleman, however, isn't holding back on recruiting Jones to Virginia Tech.

"I'm hoping that I can keep on talking to him a little more and keep on putting bugs in his ear about Tech," Coleman said with a chuckle.

The combination of the two could be scary. Both showcase patient running styles, incredible bursts and great high-end speed. The Hokies have a long history of using multiple tailbacks in a game so Coleman has no problem recruiting a top prospect that plays the same position.

"I don't mind playing with other backs," the 5-8, 190-pounder said. "I don't mind it at all. At my size, I can't take every single carry and I don't expect to take every single carry. Sharing the ball doesn't bother me at all."

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was about to post this article. J.C. should be made an honorary recruiter by the Tech coaching staff. He's been after Kirven and Caleb, and now he's after Jones.

On a side note: what are we recruiting Cyrus Jones as? I originally though WR/DB, but this article makes it sound like RB.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Honestly, it will be as an athlete with a preference as WR. He could be like Dyrell Roberts, who played RB in High School. We have a bunch of guys like Cyrus Jones, so he could move around anywhere right now.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
HokieStone - Thanks for posting that article on Coleman and Jones! Excellent!

HokieStone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Really big to get him on campus. Even though Id like to get him on campus for our game against clemson but the Arkansas state game we might be able to show him what we can do with him!

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mangus is more of a Roberts type WR. Don't know who Rivals is saying the "locks" are but it isn't Diggs or Kirven. Even KK's host players aren't sure if he ends up here. He will be up at PSU watching Bama next weekend...

Diggs seems to like the lime light that Auburn, Miami, and Florida provide. He was in attendance at last nights Miami-Maryland game. Hopefully that sways him away from Thug U.

The younger Fuller brother could be a 5-star DB next year. He is THAT good. Was in attendance at the VT-App State game cheering on his big bros.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some Todd Gurley news:

This past weekend I took an unofficial visit to UNC with my boys Ryan, Jacob, and Deshan to see them Tar Heels play against James Madison. It was my first UNC football game and second college football game ever. The atmosphere was pretty good, which I expected it to be. I've gone to a UNC basketball game before and it was similar. But if there's one thing you don't know about me, I'm a huge Duke basketball fan. That will always remain the same, no matter which college I go to.

I will be taking my first official visit this weekend to Georgia with my parents. We’re looking forward to getting down to Athens and watching them Dawgs bounce back from the loss against Boise State and hopefully get a win versus South Carolina. Also my boy, Keith Marshall [a star running back at Millbrook] will be taking an official visit down in Athens that same weekend.

I’m going to set up a few more visits soon and I’ll be talking about them here on my blog, so stay tuned for that. I know for a fact that I’ll be taking official visits to Virginia Tech and Auburn.

My top six schools (in order): UNC, Georgia, Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Auburn, Clemson

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some Todd Gurley news:

This past weekend I took an unofficial visit to UNC with my boys Ryan, Jacob, and Deshan to see them Tar Heels play against James Madison. It was my first UNC football game and second college football game ever. The atmosphere was pretty good, which I expected it to be. I've gone to a UNC basketball game before and it was similar. But if there's one thing you don't know about me, I'm a huge Duke basketball fan. That will always remain the same, no matter which college I go to.

I will be taking my first official visit this weekend to Georgia with my parents. We’re looking forward to getting down to Athens and watching them Dawgs bounce back from the loss against Boise State and hopefully get a win versus South Carolina. Also my boy, Keith Marshall [a star running back at Millbrook] will be taking an official visit down in Athens that same weekend.

I’m going to set up a few more visits soon and I’ll be talking about them here on my blog, so stay tuned for that. I know for a fact that I’ll be taking official visits to Virginia Tech and Auburn.

My top six schools (in order): UNC, Georgia, Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Auburn, Clemson

He is going to see a loss, and more than likely an ass kicking this weekend. Not only is South carolina better than Georgia, but the matchups are ruthless against them.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think UGA is #2 based primarily on his relationship with Marshall, who is a strong UGA lean. I hate South Carolina but hope they rock UGA and send those boys to Blacksburg looking for a winning team.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think UGA is #2 based primarily on his relationship with Marshall, who is a strong UGA lean. I hate South Carolina but hope they rock UGA and send those boys to Blacksburg looking for a winning team.

I went there for 2 years, ha ha, and still root for them. I have a lot of good friends down there.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Diggs definitely isn't a lock, but Caleb and Kirven are as close as locks as we have. Both are looking around and seem to be enjoying the recruiting process, but from everything I read, they continue to visit VT on a regular basis and have nothing but great things to say.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went there for 2 years, ha ha, and still root for them. I have a lot of good friends down there.

Never actually been there. My hate just comes from growing up in a Florida household (Parents are '80 and '81 grads) and Steve Spurrier joining the dark-side. :laser:

Garcia on the other hand, is a tank. :drink:

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diggs definitely isn't a lock, but Caleb and Kirven are as close as locks as we have. Both are looking around and seem to be enjoying the recruiting process, but from everything I read, they continue to visit VT on a regular basis and have nothing but great things to say.

I'd say closest to commits, yes. But locks, not hardly. Bama is a big player for Kirven.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I just don't get it. After everything that's been reported about UNC he still has that school as his first choice? Does he think all of that stuff was just made up by UNC's enemies?

I have a few choice comments I'd like to make, but I think I'll just let it go.