• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vikings@Rams Post-Game Analysis: Rams lose- 6-34.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game was the expression of a long-standing core corporate losing mentality that has permeated us since the Rams 1999-2001 seasons. Because we have failed miserably with so many drafts and have whiffed on great talent right in front of us so many times to go after reaches and projects even with a huge cache of draft picks that other coaches in NFL history have turned into superbowl victories, we are paying the price for that failure and neglect. The FO is completely flipped. They are clueless on how to utilize their draft picks to get the best talent available at any given round or selection to effectively continue to keep a team competitive and winning. The coaches seem lost on how to continue winning momentum and the team seems fragmented and without a leader or leaders.

Today, this team appeared to regress three years to the years before when Fisher took over and we were routinely having win-loss records of 2-14, 1-15, 3-13, 4-12 under former inept coaches such as Linehan and Spigot (Spagnuola). Fisher failed to prepare this team mentally and the mistakes were aplenty. We were penalized 13 times for a whopping 121 yards compared to the Vikings who were flagged 7 times for 60 yards and we simply looked lost overall.

This team does not have any mental toughness or discipline and they routinely shot themselves in the foot after making a good play with ridiculous rookie-type mistakes mostly by guys that have been here awhile. St. Louis is rapidly becoming the place where players go to have their careers destroyed with a terrible stadium, a mediocre coach, and a completely dysfunctional front office (again). I feel bad for guys like C. Long and J. Laurinaitus who are facing another losing season from an owner who apparently doesn't give a damn.

On Offense-The Positives. Not much to report here. It took us three quarters to score and it was a FG. For the record, Hill finished the day 8 of 13 for a whopping 81 yards and 1 pick and Davis with just two quarters of work went 16-23 for 192 yards and a pick compared to Cassel who went 17-25 for 170 yards and 2TDs. The number of dropped passes was way down today which is a good sign-I think.

On offense-The negatives. Too many to list here. No TDs scored is a good place to start. An offensive line that could not block anyone and were often seen standing with their hands on their hips totally gassed was the norm. People shooting themselves in the foot like Quick and Givens after big plays. Our #2 overall pick did not play until late when Saffold, Mr. Injury went down. Stacy finished the day going 11 carries for 43 yards and Quick was the high man with 7 catches for 99 yards. The offensive play-calling looked like a second-grader put it together. Shottenehimer's offense is listless, predictable, and easily rattled.

On Defense-The Positives. Our CBs and defensive backfield played pretty darn well today including the rook E.J. Gaines who started for Tru Johnson. Janoris Jenkins look really good as did T.J. McDonald. Langford quietly had a good game. Quinn had a QB hurry and Dunbar and Ogletree were credited with a half sack.

On Defense-The Negatives. We gave up 34 points many of them came in the second through the fourth quarter when the D was on the field way too long. We had no sacks by the front four. C. Long left the game with an injury. We could not defend against Patterson and Jennings, the Vikings WRs that killed us all day long. We held Peterson to a relatively low amount of yards but then gave huge yardage to the aforementioned WRs. Our tackling was poor for stretches at a time. Our vaulted talented defense looked no better than some high school defenses most of the afternoon.

Special Teams-The Positives. Johnny Hekker! Enough stated.
Speical Teams-The Negatives-STs continue to screw-up and Zuerlien missed the first field goal before finishing the day 2 of 3.

There are a lot of problems on this team and it goes from top to bottom. We may be facing a win-loss record similar to the aforementioned years. This may get more ugly before it gets better but we shall see next week in Tampa!:L

Last edited by a moderator:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Quick finally looks like an NFL caliber receiver, Retro.

Of course, Jeffrey has been doing it for 2 1/2 seasons, so there is that.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree Angelakerams. We had to wait three years but Quick looks good except for those ridiculous mental mistakes that he committed to negate several of his big plays. Just plain drive-killers. Fisher should fine these guys like Tom Coughlin of the New York Giants. It doesn't take players long to stop doing stupid stuff when they start losing money out of their game checks.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all can agree the media made this team look like a playoff contender when in reality we are maybe near the bottom of the league if not at the bottom.

Bright Side is this: This is only game 1 and there is still 15 more to play. Plenty of time to regroup along with all the other teams who are 0-1 this week.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with everything you said Retro. In typical Fisher coached fashion, we again had too many penalties, which is only the tip of the iceberg, but a good indicator of the type of ship that Fisher and company run----undisciplined and poorly coached. I looked on the back of a drano bottle and it said "poisonous, in case of ingestion please stare at this picture of Fisher and Shottenheimer until you vomit". This was just a pathetic display of football no matter what spin you put on it. The only thing I will have to look forward to after this season is Fisher and his inept staff being unceremoniously kicked in the @$#@ as they are shown the door.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we were wrong to have optimism, we won seven games last year with the hardest schedule. We had a young team, with players expected to get better with more experience, playing time. To go along with look like a good draft, but this game look like all the previous games under insert head coach that we have grown use too. Other then catching lightening in a bottle with Warner, some how landing the best player in football in trade with Faulk, wisely drafting Torry Holt, whiched spur the greatest success in Rams football, but that only lasted onto injuries started in on Faulk and Warner to go along with the years on bad drafting that Rams fans have grown accustomed too; this team has lived in mediocrity, through mediocrity might be too nice of a word. We have five winning seasons in the last twenty five years. Reality can a cruel bitch!

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anybody hear Fish talk about today's disaster? Was it the usual coach speak?

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. Take a look at the rams last year. We laid some eggs last year. Much like this game. One was against the cowboys. We got crushed against another average team. Then we come out and take it to the colts and the saints. It's a very inconsistent team. Yes we are young but at some point we have to stop using that as an excuse. Fisher teams have historically had slow starts as well. So I'm jumping ship just yet but another game or two like this one I'll be sure to watch a team worth my time on Sundays.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh we definitely started out weak last year.

At least New England lost I guess.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Next two opponents (Bucs and Cowboys) looked pretty crappy as well. Muscle Hamster left the game with another injury and McCown looked like the back-up QB he should still be. Cowboys were turnover happy.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, not many positives to take out of this game. I watched the Rams-Viking highlights on NFL.com and it was all highlights for the Vikings and all negatives for the Rams.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree::10:It was ugly, period and in one word STUNK. retro was right in almost every area. I will say though, I thought the run defense was pretty good with the exception of the Patterson run.:nod: AP was contained but the rest of it stunk. The O-line was horrible, QB play horrible, flags horrible, stupid mistakes horrible, coaching, play calling.............HORRIBLE!:L Bright spots, not many except the receivers when they weren't pushing off, did catch the ball and that was better. Hill, Davis, Staffold, Jake Long, Stacy..........were all well horrible. the ship is sailing after the season, without Shotts, Fisher, Snead and if it doesn't get better quick, St Louis.:gaah:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Blue. WE had some glimmer of positives as you've stated but the rest of it stunk it up. This is a leaderless team. No leaders in the FO, none in coaching, no leaders amongst the players except maybe Long and Laurinaitus but other than that nobody. As Rambunctious posted on another thread, nobody gives a flying flip!!

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Rams can't win, my second choice is that New England and Philadelphia lose. At least I can console myself with half of that scenario.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find a good glass of Canada Dry, Orange-flavored seltzer water or some frog water (Perrier) to be an excellent soother after what I watched yesterday, Boss.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find a good glass of Canada Dry, Orange-flavored seltzer water or some frog water (Perrier) to be an excellent soother after what I watched yesterday, Boss.

I started looking for the grain alcohol/drano cocktail after the first half Retro.......not for me.....to send to the Rams idiot coaching staff.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes this all the more pathetic is that we were at home?!?!! I wouldn't let Shottenheimer coach a girl's tiddly winks team, let alone an NFL offense.

mikey728

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of things that I feared in the lead-up to the season came to fruition...I was afraid the defense would read their press clippings too often...Indeed, they did...Possibly the best front 7 in the NFL ??? It was almost the same as last season, where the Rams were good, but far from the best...I also REALLY dislike the "sack city". bullshit..That assumes that the pass rush from Quinn would remain the same and some others would stand tall...Neither would happen in this game...Donald didn't have any impact in the pass rush (which was almost invisible)...I can't give up on them this quick, but anything short of 2 wins before the break will tell me it's a done deal for this year...I've been disappointed for a lot of years in a row now, but this was the biggest that I can remember...I couldn't watch the last 18 minutes of this game...I almost never do that...They can turn it around, I just have trouble seeing how it is going to happen.The way they got their asses handed to them yesterday was just tragic !!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW, remember how many teams that struggled got well playing the Rams ??? Well look at who lost yesterday...Uh oh ....

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fisher said today he was shocked to see how his team played...this is why he needs to go.