• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vegas Golden Knights Expansion Draft Shenanigans Thread

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he has much - even setting aside his play for a moment, he's got a full NMC and it seems like he wants to be in Vegas. After passing on Calgary who one could argue are a good goalie away from being at the least a Western Conference contender the allure of winning alone isn't going to be enough to entice him to a team. It would be a very limited market and thus a very limited return.

yah I think hes more likely to be picked up by a Quebec City expansion team than he gets traded

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at them one by one though - if the Jackets traded any of them would any of them command a first and a second? Milano maybe but in that case make a trade and protect him or get assets for him.

Just looks crazy to me.

Milano was exempt, no?

If you just traded one of Korpisalo or Anderson what do you think the return would be?

Yup, and indeed Milano is exempt.

Guess they really didn't want to lose Jack Johnson.

Okay, yes Milano was exempt. I had his name on the brain because of the first leak said a "prospect" with the first to take Clarkman, so that put him in "need to protect" in my mind.

After sleeping on it, it's still a lot, but maybe not as bad. You have to consider it not as one deal, but two. Say the first rounder alone was the payment for not picking who they wanted to keep (and let's not argue the choice, just acknowledge they had guys they wanted to keep). Steep? Yeah. But if they have a secondary deal in place to move one or two of the guys they wanted to protect in a package to get a Duchene or RNH, then it starts to look like it makes sense. Jarmo has said he needs to add scoring. And he's got assets in the AHL he might not have room for next year. A first to protect those assets needed to make another deal? High price, but he can mitigate it with a solid pickup in free agency or trade. And this draft class is kind of weak.

Granted, with this GM, it's a huge IF. But it could come out as looking almost genius. It could also look like "Sign Horton to a contract that is uninsurable" levels of stupid. Time will tell. Organizationally, Calvert and Johnson are obsolete. Milano has a few guys on the depth chart ahead of him and they have a few promising goalies. And some teams lost guys they need to replace yesterday.

The second part of it comes down to the fact that he's got young guys he needs to pay (Anderson, Wennberg this year and Werenski next year. Plus if Gagner wants to stay...) and Clarkson's contract was in the way. If you look at it as a future second rounder to get rid of the self inflicted albatross which gives him flexibility to lure a high value player, and pay guys who've earned it and will be core pieces for a long time that's not so bad either.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, yes Milano was exempt. I had his name on the brain because of the first leak said a "prospect" with the first to take Clarkman, so that put him in "need to protect" in my mind.

After sleeping on it, it's still a lot, but maybe not as bad. You have to consider it not as one deal, but two. Say the first rounder alone was the payment for not picking who they wanted to keep (and let's not argue the choice, just acknowledge they had guys they wanted to keep). Steep? Yeah. But if they have a secondary deal in place to move one or two of the guys they wanted to protect in a package to get a Duchene or RNH, then it starts to look like it makes sense. Jarmo has said he needs to add scoring. And he's got assets in the AHL he might not have room for next year. A first to protect those assets needed to make another deal? High price, but he can mitigate it with a solid pickup in free agency or trade. And this draft class is kind of weak.

Granted, with this GM, it's a huge IF. But it could come out as looking almost genius. It could also look like "Sign Horton to a contract that is uninsurable" levels of stupid. Time will tell. Organizationally, Calvert and Johnson are obsolete. Milano has a few guys on the depth chart ahead of him and they have a few promising goalies. And some teams lost guys they need to replace yesterday.

The second part of it comes down to the fact that he's got young guys he needs to pay (Anderson, Wennberg this year and Werenski next year. Plus if Gagner wants to stay...) and Clarkson's contract was in the way. If you look at it as a future second rounder to get rid of the self inflicted albatross which gives him flexibility to lure a high value player, and pay guys who've earned it and will be core pieces for a long time that's not so bad either.
I guess I just don’t see any asset that was available as key to any deal that would attract the return of someone like Duchene. If the two worries he had were Korpisalo and Anderson, well Korpisalo isn’t going to attract a return higher than the 24th pick going by recent goalie trades and Anderson even less so.

The cost just doesn’t add up to me. Literally the only explanation I can come up with is they’re dangling Murray in talks for offence and didn’t want to lose Johnson.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I am fine with Vegas getting only a 2nd in 2020 if by then the Pens are one of the worst teams in the Nhl...Rofl

Not happening.
LOL...seeing if anyone would catch that. :suds:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I just don’t see any asset that was available as key to any deal that would attract the return of someone like Duchene. If the two worries he had were Korpisalo and Anderson, well Korpisalo isn’t going to attract a return higher than the 24th pick going by recent goalie trades and Anderson even less so.

The cost just doesn’t add up to me. Literally the only explanation I can come up with is they’re dangling Murray in talks for offence and didn’t want to lose Johnson.

In isolation, no. But as a piece to a much larger deal the aggregate could make the first worth it.

Colorado is desperate, they seem to want to move on from Duchene, they lost a good backup goalie and they just protected Blake Comeau on purpose. I know it hinges on hope for Jarmo to be able to take advantage, but Colorado might just look at a package of Johnson, Milano and a young goalie as enough for a guy they *want* to part ways with.

Trades aren't always about what you have to give, there's a component of what they want to get rid of. Johansen for Jones is a prime example of that. Poile gave up quality, but improved his team considerably because Jarmo wanted to get rid of Joey. Polie dealt from a position of strength. By default because the other guy was weak.

Could Jarmo sell the can of snake oil to Lams, Rutheford or Bowman? No, probably not. Could he lean on Sakic or Chia or Snow and get them to blink? Possibly.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it hinges on hope for Jarmo to be able to take advantage, but Colorado might just look at a package of Johnson, Milano and a young goalie as enough for a guy they *want* to part ways with.
:wtf:

Come on man lol. If they really wanted rid of Duchene or Landeskog that badly they would've taken whatever the hell Boston or Montreal were offering in February.

If Sakic's moving Duchene my guess, from Columbus, is he wants PLD. I would guess he's been talking to Dallas and Philly about getting their draft pick for him. I don’t know what goes through Snow’s head but say he can offer Barzal and Beauvillier and next year’s draft picks, how would the package you described even come close to that sort of value?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on man lol. If they really wanted rid of Duchene or Landeskog that badly they would've taken whatever the hell Boston or Montreal were offering in February.

If Sakic's moving Duchene my guess, from Columbus, is he wants PLD. I would guess he's been talking to Dallas and Philly about getting their draft pick for him. I don’t know what goes through Snow’s head but say he can offer Barzal and Beauvillier and next year’s draft picks, how would the package you described even come close to that sort of value?

Bobmac in the cesspool mentioned Hamonic when they were discussing Duchene :think:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe the Islanders were one piece away from winning a Cup and Eberle is that piece.

:lol:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobmac in the cesspool mentioned Hamonic when they were discussing Duchene :think:
Definitely possible.

My dipshitted guess is Snow doesn’t want to move Barzal much like CBJ wouldn’t want to move PLD otherwise him and Hamonic would probably be enough of a core of a trade to get Duchene.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it, but either way, Eberle and Couturier have something in common.

They were once both considered valuable commodities.

Lol my bad ... it was a different flyers fan

/search functionality is good for some laughs

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf:

Dangit. I keep forgetting that Columbus can't possibly have anything that anyone else will find of value like sure fire hall of famer Nazem Kadri.

Silly me.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dangit. I keep forgetting that Columbus can't possibly have anything that anyone else will find of value like sure fire hall of famer Nazem Kadri.

Silly me.
Lol you’re right, excuse me. A d-man you’ve been trying to offload for years, a mid-range prospect and a backup goalie have similar value as a whole to a 30 goal third line centre who got Selke votes this year.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In isolation, no. But as a piece to a much larger deal the aggregate could make the first worth it.

Colorado is desperate, they seem to want to move on from Duchene, they lost a good backup goalie and they just protected Blake Comeau on purpose. I know it hinges on hope for Jarmo to be able to take advantage, but Colorado might just look at a package of Johnson, Milano and a young goalie as enough for a guy they *want* to part ways with.

Trades aren't always about what you have to give, there's a component of what they want to get rid of. Johansen for Jones is a prime example of that. Poile gave up quality, but improved his team considerably because Jarmo wanted to get rid of Joey. Polie dealt from a position of strength. By default because the other guy was weak.

Could Jarmo sell the can of snake oil to Lams, Rutheford or Bowman? No, probably not. Could he lean on Sakic or Chia or Snow and get them to blink? Possibly.

You don't just have to exceed what Colorado thinks of Duchene to make the trade though, you also have to exceed what other teams wanting to trade for Duchene think of him. If Colorado wants to get rid of Duchene and are willing to get lowballed a little I suspect that there will be interest from other teams too.