• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Valspar goes to Paul Casey...Again!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valspar Championship - 2019 Leaderboard - PGA TOUR

Paul Casey backed up his 2018 Valspar win with a +1, 72 round on Sunday to defend at the Copperhead Course.

It was anything but pretty though. Casey survived an over par round to bag the win the because nobody made a run late. Jason Kokrak (zero wins on Tour) had a legit chance to win, and an even better chance to force a playoff, but couldn't get up and down from the fringe on 18 resulting in a bogey dropping him to -7 and T2.

Dustin Johnson was in the final group with Casey and put NO PRESSURE at all on the Englishman....for an unheralded event...I really liked how the course held up to the best in the world...that showed up...dozens of missed putts inside 6' for the week.

Nice to see a real challenge for the players.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valspar Championship - 2019 Leaderboard - PGA TOUR

Paul Casey backed up his 2018 Valspar win with a +1, 72 round on Sunday to defend at the Copperhead Course.

It was anything but pretty though. Casey survived an over par round to bag the win the because nobody made a run late. Jason Kokrak (zero wins on Tour) had a legit chance to win, and an even better chance to force a playoff, but couldn't get up and down from the fringe on 18 resulting in a bogey dropping him to -7 and T2.

Dustin Johnson was in the final group with Casey and put NO PRESSURE at all on the Englishman....for an unheralded event...I really liked how the course held up to the best in the world...that showed up...dozens of missed putts inside 6' for the week.

Nice to see a real challenge for the players.

-8 as the winning score.
I will say that is testing the players.

Well done Casey.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-8 as the winning score.
I will say that is testing the players.

Well done Casey.

I thought Kokrak was going to get up and down to post -8 and Casey was going make bogey from the fairway bunker on 18, but it was just the opposite. Casey hit a beauty almost pin high...pretty much where you should play that approach from the fairway and Kokrak kinda choked imo...I may have chipped that one with a 9i or PW (the fringe is so smooth on tour though he never wavered on the club selection), but his line was never good enough to leave an easy par putt.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Kokrak was going to get up and down to post -8 and Casey was going make bogey from the fairway bunker on 18, but it was just the opposite. Casey hit a beauty almost pin high...pretty much where you should play that approach from the fairway and Kokrak kinda choked imo...I may have chipped that one with a 9i or PW (the fringe is so smooth on tour though he never wavered on the club selection), but his line was never good enough to leave an easy par putt.

He is still looking for that elusive first win.
As we saw last week, choking very much affects decision making

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is still looking for that elusive first win.
As we saw last week, choking very much affects decision making

Yep...probably some nerves for sure because he had to see the huge scoreboard and saw he was tied for the lead....decision wasn't terrible, as they say a putt is often better than a chip when you're nervous. Just chose a really bad line or the fringe kicked it left on him...he started walking behind it really quickly, knew it was far too low and not enough pace.